• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Water in trumpet: Condensation or spit?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dutch-trumpet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: Water in trumpet: Condensation or spit? Reply with quote

When playing I regularly need to use the water keys on my trumpet to let out some water.
I noticed that I empty my trumpet more often then my fellow trumpet players in our section. If I don't do this the water will eventually get in the way and change the playing characteristics way before the typical crackling / sputtering sound would emerge.
That is why I preemptively use the water keys to prevent a situation where I might make a mistake due to water in my trumpet.

Compared to my fellow trumpet players it looks like I have to dump more water from my trumpet judging by the wet spot on the floor.
Is this normal condensation or am I perhaps blowing more spit into my trumpet then them?
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about it. It's better to do it preemptively than to wait for the gurgle. You may have more moisture in your breath from being better hydrated, it may be diet related, or it may be that your instrument is more prone to accumulating condensation. It may also be that your horn is cooler than the others for some reason.
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Water in trumpet: Condensation or spit? Reply with quote

dutch-trumpet wrote:

Is this normal condensation or am I perhaps blowing more spit into my trumpet then them?

It's mainly condensation, not spit. Although beginners will sometimes blow a fair amount of actual spit into the horn, more experienced players are blowing warm air from their lungs which contains water vapor. This condenses on the inside of the tubing and falls to the lower regions, which is where manufacturers have placed their water keys (or "spit valves"). There are some horns that are more prone to gurgle. Those that have lower bends without water keys. Some cornets and flugels employ 3+ water keys because of their tubing wraps for just this reason. My guess is that you happen to have some combination going on where you generate more condensation inside the horn. Don't worry about it. Bring with you a small pad or carpet sample (get them at a flooring store for free or a buck or two). and use it so that you don't make a huge puddle on the floor.
MJo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always assumed -- bolstered by a former teacher's comments -- that high condensation in the horn is not a bad sign at all. The production of warm, moist air is caused by an open, relaxed throat and unrestricted passage of air in large quantities -- something that is conducive to good sound and relaxed playing. One of the things this teacher did at my first lesson was to give me an approx. 1.5" diameter piece of pvc pipe to breathe through in order to get the feel of the unrestricted passage of air. I still use it from time to time. And yes, I produce a lot of moisture in the horn -- nothing I can do about it, and I don't try.
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give your trumpet to a four-year-old to play with for a while. When he's done, you'll see exactly what it looks like if what you're blowing out of the water key is spit... if it doesn't look like that when you play, you're good!

(Obviously you don't actually need to conduct this experiment. If it's mostly spit you'll see it.)
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it's whiskey.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're using Al Cass Fast valve oil, try something else and see if it helps.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:

What Brian means is that a thinner oil might let condensation by a little faster.

Some horns are just constructed so that they condense faster.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
dutch-trumpet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veery715 wrote:
You may have more moisture in your breath from being better hydrated, it may be diet related, or it may be that your instrument is more prone to accumulating condensation. It may also be that your horn is cooler than the others for some reason.

Actually I played on a trumpet of a different brand during my last rehersal. On this trumpet I also had to drain more water then my fellow trumpeteers. That makes me think that it is not entirely the fault of the trumpet but more likely to be a problem of mine.
You mention that the horn might be cooler and there you might have a point. I have been switching between the trumpet and a flugel horn during that rehersal. The trumpet obviously cools down when it isn't used.
On the other hand when I practice by myself at home I play continiously without breaks. The trumpet does not have time to cool down then yet I still have to drain the water from the trumpet regulary.
dutch-trumpet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
shofarguy wrote:

What Brian means is that a thinner oil might let condensation by a little faster.

I stopped using Al Cass Fast valve oil for my trumpet a while ago. My trumpet valves did not really like that oil so I switched to a slightly thicker oil from Yamaha.

A thicker oil would be better to get rid of the excessive condensation?
dmb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No big deal. Empty the water keys often and just play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWuX9zPJWyY
-----------------------------------------------
Olds
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon Merian played incredibly loud, but with control and musicality. You could see the vapor come out of his bell as he played. If you generate more condensation than the other trumpet players around you, it's quite possible it's because you play better than they do. Don't get the big head about this, but don't consider it a problem. Just play as well as you can, and enjoy the music.
Dan O'Donnell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I give it some thought...You guys are making a lot of sense related to the wrapping of the tubing and condensation build-up.

I've been playing a Carol Brass Pocket Trumpet (which is crazy great!) and I find that it collects moisture faster possibly due to the tighter wrapping of the tubing in relation to the (2) spit valves versus my other Bb Trumpets???...It does not take long to get the dreaded "gurgle" sound...I make a water dump...it goes away and not too long later..."GURGLE"!!!

Does this make sense to anyone out there?

Please help me better understand this...

"Praise Him with the sound of the Trumpet:..."
Psalms 150:3
Branson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dumping condensation more often means that you are doing the right thing.

You want to relax and blow warm air into your horn when you are playing and the warmer the air, the better the sound. The more warm air means you will have to dump more often.

Sounds like you are doing what you should do and the others aren't.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dutch-trumpet wrote:
VetPsychWars wrote:
shofarguy wrote:

I stopped using Al Cass Fast valve oil for my trumpet a while ago. My trumpet valves did not really like that oil so I switched to a slightly thicker oil from Yamaha.

A thicker oil would be better to get rid of the excessive condensation?

What Brian means is that when he bought and started using a bottle of Al Cass, his trumpet developed a veritable river of condensation running out the bell and every other orifice it had. He then changed oils and the river stopped flooding its banks, as it were.

Brian now uses Flip Oakes brand valve oil, which is also thin, but doesn't cause the same trouble. It is a little too thin for 115 degree summer days, though.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been addressed from the thermodynamic point of view.

In short, increase of condensation in horn occurs when you are playing more resonantly, leading to cooling of the airstream exiting the bell.
percivalthehappyboy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was spit, there would be stringers hanging from your water key.

If you were playing trombone you wouldn't need to blow the condensation out--just open the valve and watch it pour.
mahorst

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I jump from trumpet to trombone, that spit pours out. I think some may have more active salivary glands - I feel like mine tend to over produce and I empty more than some.
Carol Brass CFL-6200-GSS-Bb-SL Flugelhorn
lb324

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmb wrote:
No big deal. Empty the water keys often and just play.

Second...
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mjo wrote:

Quote:
The production of warm, moist air is caused by an open, relaxed throat and unrestricted passage of air in large quantities -- something that is conducive to good sound and relaxed playing.

The temperature and humidity of the air we exhale is not subject to "relaxation" or restriction.

The "quantities" are also subject to the acoustic requirement of the instrument, and the nature of the music we are playing.

Efficient players use relatively less air flow. Not more.

Quote:
One of the things this teacher did at my first lesson was to give me an approx. 1.5" diameter piece of pvc pipe to breathe through in order to get the feel of the unrestricted passage of air.

IMO this was always a useless excercise. When playing there will NEVER be unrestricted passage of air. The instrument resistance is always there.

Why a pvc pipe anyway? Just open your mouth and exhale for the same effect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: