• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best Orchestral Bb Sound and Trumpet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
musicman0097
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Best Orchestral Bb Sound and Trumpet Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I've been churning this one in my head for a while and can't figure it out. What is the best sound that a Bb should have in an orchestral type setting? I've heard the C should be bright and the Bb should be darker. Should the Bb be bright too? And what Bach parts would best achieve that sound? I know I'm limiting the options here, but what is the best Bach orchestral sound/trumpet? Bach 43/43? 25/25? 25/43...etc? What would the best leadpipe and bell be? I'm working on building a horn and I want to figure out what parts I could narrow my search to.

Thanks,
Matthew

"There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, learning from failure"- Colin Powell
Adam V
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focused and full. Forget bright vs. dark.

37/25 ML

Marcinkiewicz E3/3C
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the 43 bell and 43 lp are each brighter than other options. I played this through school and while i was louder than the entire marching band put together (graduating class of 2200) it didn't get me seats in high level competitive orchestras. Wrong sound for that.

I'd love to get that old horn back and go with a switchable bell set-up of 43 or 65 bell, or maybe even 43* instead of 43. Charlie Melk's 525 lp is a great option for any Bach, Pilczuk is doing some interesting things, and I hear Blackburn is "pretty good" too

My "Bach killer" has a bell made by B & S, presumably for their Challenger. Very standard Bach sound, just plays better.

The Bach 65 bell with a Vindibona bore looks to me (on paper) like it should be a really sweet horn. Personally I don't like Bach's 25 lp, but the 7 suits me fine. Not sure about the comparison between 7 and 37 bells for orchestral purposes, but the NY7 plays well for me, meaning its pretty easy for me to get a sound on it that's focused and full.
musicman0097
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
Both the 43 bell and 43 lp are each brighter than other options. I played this through school and while i was louder than the entire marching band put together (graduating class of 2200) it didn't get me seats in high level competitive orchestras. Wrong sound for that.

I'd love to get that old horn back and go with a switchable bell set-up of 43 or 65 bell, or maybe even 43* instead of 43. Charlie Melk's 525 lp is a great option for any Bach, Pilczuk is doing some interesting things, and I hear Blackburn is "pretty good" too

My "Bach killer" has a bell made by B & S, presumably for their Challenger. Very standard Bach sound, just plays better.

The Bach 65 bell with a Vindibona bore looks to me (on paper) like it should be a really sweet horn. Personally I don't like Bach's 25 lp, but the 7 suits me fine. Not sure about the comparison between 7 and 37 bells for orchestral purposes, but the NY7 plays well for me, meaning its pretty easy for me to get a sound on it that's focused and full.

Not sure if you've stated this before, but have you tried the 43/7 combination?

Matthew

"There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, learning from failure"- Colin Powell
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

37/25 ML... Bb should have a warmer sound than your C-more lower overtones present..
Retired Air Force Bandsman
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

musicman0097 wrote:

Matthew

No. Reading 43/7 I'm inclined to think you mean 43 lp w/ 7 bell. Just a hunch, but I don't think that would be a great combo, although of course some might love it. Now the 7 lp w/ 43 bell? I might really dig that ... my current daily player is a Bach 7 "copy," or at least Jason Harrelson's version of it
AndyLott
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by AndyLott on Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyLott wrote:

He most likely means the opposite. 43 bell with a 7 leadpipe, it can be a great combination. Chris Martin used one but I am unsure for how long and if he still uses it.

Source: http://www.trumpetguild.org/_72820_archive/2006journal/200601OrchProf.pdf

When I saw Chris Martin play Shostakovich Piano Conerto 1 with CSO last year he was using a Bach Bb (2nd mvt)…looked well worn. He might very well be using it.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=profile+trumpet+filetype:pdf&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

^That brings up all of those orchestral profiles to see what the pros play.
mchs3d
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peashooter. King Liberty
musicman0097
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyLott wrote:
razeontherock wrote:
musicman0097 wrote:

Matthew

No. Reading 43/7 I'm inclined to think you mean 43 lp w/ 7 bell. Just a hunch, but I don't think that would be a great combo, although of course some might love it. Now the 7 lp w/ 43 bell? I might really dig that ... my current daily player is a Bach 7 "copy," or at least Jason Harrelson's version of it

He most likely means the opposite. 43 bell with a 7 leadpipe, it can be a great combination. Chris Martin used one but I am unsure for how long and if he still uses it.

Source: http://www.trumpetguild.org/_72820_archive/2006journal/200601OrchProf.pdf

Yes, I meant 43 bell/7 LP. I have a Bach 43 with a tuning rail on it. I would have a 43 tuning bell with a 7 leadpipe. I figured the 43 would be bright, but the 7 would darken it slightly offering a nice tone. What does everyone think?

Matthew

Gordontrek
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In orchestra when I use B flat I use a standard 43 with a big mouthpiece. I actually don't find it to be overly bright. One of the first things I noticed about the horn is the different colors you can get out of it depending on the mouthpiece. In general, large mp=full and rich, small mp= bright and brilliant. Specifically, when I put my 1 1/2C on it I get a rich sound perfect for orchestras, and with a 5C it will melt paint and shatter windows.
I believe that orchestral sound should be rich and somewhat dark, though not so dark that you can't be heard. But this isn't as important as just listening while you're in the group and deciding what sound you should use. Don't go in there thinking "I'm gonna play bright or dark." Listen and adjust.

Bach 18043
Eastman ETR-830S
Bach 1
I_play_trmpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a Yamaha 8310Z, it has worked fine for me. Both auditions and in the orchestra. Since most orchestral stuff is played on C, I find it very helpful having a versatile Bb for pops shows.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchs3d wrote:
Peashooter. King Liberty

No.

Gordontrek wrote:
In orchestra when I use B flat I use a standard 43 with a big mouthpiece. I actually don't find it to be overly bright. One of the first things I noticed about the horn is the different colors you can get out of it depending on the mouthpiece.

Agreed. The 43 can work, depending on who you are and your sound - also, your mouthpiece of choice. For me, yeah, it works fine. Other people might sound like a salsa band trumpet with that horn.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn

Last edited by Crazy Finn on Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
musicman0097
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
mchs3d wrote:
Peashooter. King Liberty

No.

The 43 can work, depending on who you are and your sound. For me, yeah, it works fine. Other people might sound like a salsa band trumpet with that horn.

Thanks for that. I'm usually a darker sounding player so I think it will be good.

Matthew

uglylips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used both my Bach models 37 and 72G in orchestras. In the orchestras that I've played in when playing Bb trumpet my section mates usually play a 37 or 72. I like to match when possible.

I don't own a 43, although I would like to get one someday. I'm sure you can blend fine with it depending on the player and mouthpiece. I have to say that I've come across more players with the model 37.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uglylips wrote:
I have to say that I've come across more players with the model 37.

They are ubiquitous.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Best Orchestral Bb Sound and Trumpet Reply with quote

musicman0097 wrote:
I'm working on building a horn and I want to figure out what parts I could narrow my search to.

Matthew, in the long run, I don't know how much it matters as long as you use your head.

Let's say you wind up playing in a community orchestra. How your sound fits will be dependent upon factors that will particular to that orchestra. I'm thinking of everything from skill level to what's in the MD's imagination.

But it is so much fun to day dream and even order/build a horn to suit our dreams. However, 100% of the time, my ability, or lack thereof more properly, is what limits me. That is, I'd be playing in other groups or covering other parts if I were better. No horn on earth will compensate for my deficiencies.

Even so, it is great to talk about all this trumpet stuff like we amateurs and hobbyists do. If you do go through getting a horn, I'd advise against anything that would make re-selling it difficult -- such as an unpopular combination of parts.

Otherwise, have a blast dreaming and building. Don't forget the practicing
musicman0097
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
uglylips wrote:
I have to say that I've come across more players with the model 37.

They are ubiquitous.

Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of the the 37. It seems dull when I play it. But it's not too bad. Are there any other thoughts on the 7 pipe?

Matthew

Fuzzy Dunlop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

Of course, that's just if you want an amazing broad, fat, focused, warm, brilliant, dark, resonant, vibrant, velvet, earth shattering, tear-jerking sound with unparalleled projection, perfect intonation, and response so fast the notes just jump out of the bell with the slightest effort.
Adam V
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:

Link

Best advice so far.

Marcinkiewicz E3/3C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: