• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

TOTL with the tongue arched

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndrewS
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: TOTL with the tongue arched Reply with quote

Have been with BE for more than 10 years, doing great!
I have a question.
I can slur with ease say from low C to high C (two octaves).
When it comes to tonguing the same range, it's not that easy and I usually miss or crack the top note.
C. Gordon in his methods emphasizes the importance of tonguing with the tongue arched so that the tip stays behind the lower teeth.
I guess I am ready now to make that connection to learn how to tongue with arched tongue, since it makes a lot of sense.
BE mostly talks about tonguing on the top lip, which is great.
How about tonguing on the top lip with your tongue arched so you don't miss the top notes?
Has anyone experimented with that?
Does it make sense doing that?

ps (Edit). I am talking from the premises that the pitch is raised by not only RI, but raising the tongue level like we do in the slurring exercises.
So given that we arrive at a certain pitch doing slurs by raising our tongue, why don't we (or do we?) arrive at the same pitch when we simply tongue (on lips) by raising the tongue in a similar way?
Larrios
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andrew,

These kind of details, such as arching the tongue, may vary for the individual, but it certainly seems reasonable to give it a try. If it works for you, go for it! Let us know how it pans out.

Ko
AndrewS
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the response, Ko!
My tongue is naturally slow and I can't contort it like many people can
So, this new way of tonguing feels extremely awkward to me.
But hey, so did TOTL when I started and now TOTL most of the time!
I'll give it a try (at least keep in on the back burner) see what happens.
w00005414
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I'll be corrected on this if I am wrong, but from what I remember, TOL is an exercise and not necessarily the way you should tongue in your regular playing. For what it is worth, I tongue on my pallet behind my top teeth, it makes it so my tongue does not have to move a far distance to separate the notes, just the tip of the tongue moves so I can tongue fast. It also keeps my air back from overtaking the chops (keeps me from using air pockets...which is my own personal preference, BE says air pockets are normal if they happen and they help, your mileage may vary).

Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: