• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

YTR2320

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumphat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: YTR2320 Reply with quote

Hi To All - The parents of a former student of mine asked for some help in seller there daughters laquered Yamaha YTR2320 serial #2758xx. It's in very good shape, as is the case. I'm not sure what a far price would be and would appreciate any input. Thanks in advance
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most student trumpets are worth between $50-350 used. Since the Yamaha is one of the better ones around, and if the condition is good - it should be around $200 or 300, in my estimation.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
Most student trumpets are worth between $50-350 used. Since the Yamaha is one of the better ones around, and if the condition is good - it should be around $200 or 300, in my estimation.

That sounds about right to me.
1948 Holton Model 48
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the instrument and case in very good shape I'd say $350 rather than $300.
Definitely not lower than $300. These are sought after beginners' trumpets for a very good reason.

MvW.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Particularly given the inflation for pro instruments I'd agree that $300-350 is reasonable for a used Yamaha student horn in good condition. Obviously less for poor condition. Also agree that these are pretty good horns, especially compared to some of the junk sold in this market segment.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maarten van Weverwijk wrote:
......These are sought after beginners' trumpets for a very good reason.

MvW.

The majority of my beginners play that horn, but at least in my area, it is because the primary music stores here who do rentals push that Yamaha....as well as the Xenos for high school kids. I often play the 2320 during lessons (borrowed from the store), and in my opinion they are not great, even for a student horn. Very finicky valves, pretty stuffy (again, even for a student horn).

Brad361
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:

Location, location, location.

Here (SF Bay area) they're often found under $200 - especially in the summer when "mom & dad" realize that it hasn't been out of the case all school year.

And... I have yet to see a student horn that was used in grade school that didn't have at least one major issue. Ask me about the one where I found a bunch of stale pretzels in the case some time...

Gary.
C.E.Divine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have a first slide saddle? If it is one that doesn't have the saddle for the first slide, that will hurt the value, since most directors want their kids to have them. In my area, a mint 2335 brings about 350, a mint 2320 with an adjustable first slide brings about 275, and one without brings 225. Subtract a little for not being mint, most buyers may try to talk you down further if it needs cleaned. So probably about 175-200 depending on who trys to buy it.

Bach LR19043B B-flat
Blackburn converted Bach C
Kanstul CC920 Piccolo
Blessing XL Flugelhorn
J.W. York and Sons Perfec-Tone B-flat/A Cornet
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Maarten van Weverwijk wrote:
......These are sought after beginners' trumpets for a very good reason.

MvW.

The majority of my beginners play that horn, but at least in my area, it is because the primary music stores here who do rentals push that Yamaha....as well as the Xenos for high school kids. I often play the 2320 during lessons (borrowed from the store), and in my opinion they are not great, even for a student horn. Very finicky valves, pretty stuffy (again, even for a student horn).

Brad361

Interesting.

I recently flipped (donated) one that was made in the 80's and it was actually a really nice playing student trumpet. It was still made in Japan at that point so maybe that's the difference.
1948 Holton Model 48
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C.E.Divine wrote:
Does it have a first slide saddle? If it is one that doesn't have the saddle for the first slide, that will hurt the value, since most directors want their kids to have them. In my area, a mint 2335 brings about 350, a mint 2320 with an adjustable first slide brings about 275, and one without brings 225. Subtract a little for not being mint, most buyers may try to talk you down further if it needs cleaned. So probably about 175-200 depending on who trys to buy it.

Speaking as a band director, I'm happy if the kids have a horn that has working valves and is in good condition. A tuning slide that moves is a big positive (and frankly, pretty necessary). While a first saddle is nice, it's probably not even in the top ten things I care about in a student trumpet. Heck, about 3-4 trumpets I own and use don't have saddles (or triggers) on the first slide.

It is a STUDENT trumpet. Most of the kids using them are in 4th-9th grade. A 4th and 5th grader has other things to worry about than the 1st saddle.

Brad361 wrote:
The majority of my beginners play that horn, but at least in my area, it is because the primary music stores here who do rentals push that Yamaha....as well as the Xenos for high school kids. I often play the 2320 during lessons (borrowed from the store), and in my opinion they are not great, even for a student horn. Very finicky valves, pretty stuffy (again, even for a student horn.

Yamaha valves are what they are... Finicky is a decent adjective for them. Fussy. High maintenance.

I've never found the older Yamaha student trumpet particularly stuffy - 232, 2320. I like the 2310 cornet - nice horn. I think I briefly played a few of the newer ones - the 2335 and the 200AD (Yamaha Advantage?) and they seemed a little heavier and stuffier. Maybe it was one of those?

I don't think the 2320 is made anymore.

But, it's been a while. Also, despite Yamaha consistency, there is variation among student models. Back when I was testing student horns for one of my teaching jobs, I preferred the Yamaha over the Bach TR300 by a fair amount. The old UMI student horns (King 600, 601) used to be Ok about 15 years ago or so.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
adamc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally mixed this thread up with another thread.

So my reply made no sense!

Never mind haha.

Best of luck with the sale.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: