• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stamp 3 and Embouchure Focus

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhodf

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Stamp 3 and Embouchure Focus Reply with quote

Something I have noticed when trying to play Stamp exercise 3 at a soft to moderate volume is that it really focuses the embouchure/airstream. It also made me aware of how much I really move my chops around when I switch notes. As I have worked on keeping the chops/airstream in focus in all registers, I have found that as I ascend toward the top of the staff, I have a natural tendency to lose that focus and let the cheeks/corners relax away from the mouthpiece. Not exactly a smile, but going that direction. This occurs especially as I get tired. I am thinking this is an indication that I haven't developed enough strength yet to play properly. Playing softer helps, but I still need to develop better control.

Is this common to someone new Stamp? Other than continuing to do the exercises carefully as described and to rest periodically, are there any other exercises you would recommend to help with this issue?

Thanks,
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You already seem to be on the right track. I have found buzzing starting softly in the high register first, and then going to the low register in a variety of ways to be helpful (scales, arpeggios, etc.). Something that is also very valuable is to buzz the music you are working on. This will develop your chop/embouchure focus while also improving your ear and solfege skills. Make sure to be very critical of your pitch when doing it. Don't go easy on yourself. Really focus on buzzing the right pitch. It may help to do it to a drone (perhaps the tonic note of the passage) and listen to your pitch that way. If you are new to this approach, fatigue is natural. Your muscles will develop over time. Just keep taking big breaths and don't let the chops spread.
Troy Sargent
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure as well you are using a LOT of air even at very soft dynamics. You want to relax your air out of your body and not push. Chop fatigue is commonly caused by not enough air support.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: