• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Vox

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deleted_user_1dac1c5

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: Vox Reply with quote

Hey everyone! I was going through my schools instruments, and found an old looking cornet, made by a company I had never heard of called "Vox". Anyone know anything about this company? I can post pictures. The mouthpiece included had a strangely shaped backbore.

Thank you for responses!
interfx
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read about these before. Vox Ampliphonic cornets

http://www.voxshowroom.com/us/amp/ampliphonic_horns.html
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago, I saw 2 or 3 of the cornets for sale in a junk store. They had a place on the bell to attach a pickup. Didn't seem to be anything special play-wise, so I passed on them.
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall playing VOX electric guitars in the 1980's. Do you suppose the same company made other musical instruments such as trumpets?

Best wishes,

Lloyd
amzi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a VOX trumpet a fair amount a couple of decades ago. The horn itself was nothing special--my impression was that it was a European built student level instrument. I first heard about these horns in the late 1960s--the sales pitch I received was that it would allow your trumpet to sound like a clarinet. This, of course, required connecting your instrument to various VOX (synthesizer) modules, thus the need for the pick-up. You could also use the pick up to simply amplify your instrument. The trumpet I played in the 1990s was obviously a student model (though I understand different levels of instruments were sold) and played like one. In all fairness these horns were designed to be played with electronic manipulation, maybe that would make them sound better. If the horn you are looking at includes the pick-up connection chord it might be fun to play with, but I wouldn't pay much for it.
Bach Stradivarius Bass Trumpet
Holton T171 Alto Trumpet
Yamaha 610 Eb/D Trumpet
Kanstul 920 Picc.
Vox Mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA! Are these still floating around? A Vox Ampliphonic trumpet was my first horn. I took Beginning Winds in 7th grade and selected trumpet as my instrument and was assigned an Olds Ambassador cornet. My dad thought I'd practice more if I had my own horn, so we went to music store and he bought the cheapest new trumpet they had, and that was it. It cost $95 in 1969. (I remember the price because my dad made me pay him back for it over time.)

I played that tin can all the way to college when a teacher finally convinced me to get a part-time job and buy a Benge. I named it "Socrates" because it taught me how to work AGAINST it to play in tune, to blend in tone with a section, to project with it in solos, etc. Practically any horn I played after that seemed easy.

I still own it, but it stays in the case--a sentimental artifact from the beginning of my journey with music. However, I offer the same advice as my teacher: get a job and buy a Burbank Benge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: