• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

King "Golden Flair" -- need info

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:50 am    Post subject: King "Golden Flair" -- need info Reply with quote

Not too long ago, I had an opportunity to acquire a King "Golden Flair" Trumpet, N.O.S. (New Old Stock).

I frequently buy / sell / trade / repair, etc., horns (along with other musical instruments) ... and receive calls and e-mails enquiring of my possible interest in purchasing one-or-more of interest. By "of interest", I refer to instruments that are semi-"collectible", "pro-level", limited-production, unusual, etc.

As a result of one of these contacts, I purchased, sight-unseen, a King "Golden Flair". The seller's credibility was excellent, by-the-way.

Based on my ownership of a few King SilverTone Cornets, a pristine Super-20 Symphony DB, and a pristine Super-20 S2 ... but, never having one of the Silver Flairs, I was curious about the Golden Flair. I have a few King catalogs, but not of the Golden Flair-era.

I thought I recalled (?) somewhere (here @ TH ?) mention of the model being a horn based upon one of the Candoli brothers' (?) vintage Committee. Also, I thought it was "gold-colored" (lacquer), instead of the Silver Flair's silver ... makes sense, correct? I also thought it would have the Silver Flair's 1st-slide trigger (a personal preference). It does not have the 1st-slide trigger.

Anyhow, it's a great horn! No "slippery / squirrelly slots", ala Martin Committee (probably due to braced tuning slide) ... but, that's OK.

Anyone have / had one of these? What can you tell me ....

Thanks in advance,
Yogi Robt

I miss Genghis Khan ....
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only seen three of them over the years.

A kid had one in high school back in 1977. I just remember his as being a gold plated flair thats all, but it did say "golden flair" on the receiver. It had a standard tuning slide.

The other I actually got on a trial from Rob Strewart. It had a reverse lead pipe. It played great, I'm sorry that I didn't buy it.

I also had the chance to meet and see Conte Condoli's horn. Conte told me that the gold flairs that King sold are nothing like his and Petes. King only made two horns for them (one for Pete and one for Conte). Conte told me that King took apart a Martin Committee and copied every inch of it. Conte said that his vales were so worn and the horn leaked so bad but that he was afraid to touch it because he loved the way it played so much.

Chris
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Chris --

I suspected as much (the Condoli horns not being identical to the King-production models).

This horn I have may be a later (1990s?) "Anniversary Edition".

However, I understand the later (UMI) horns bear a letter-prefix before the serial-number ... this horn has no letter-prefix. Does have "44" before the normal, grouped serial-number.

I do see, enscribed on the bell, "KING", "2065", "U.S.A.". Also, some interesting little "scrolls" enscribed inside the bell-rim, in a ring about 5/16" from the rim.

I did the obligatory TH "search", and while there are entries, no real solid info as to specs, etc.

Would be interested in hearing from someone actually having a similar horn ... playing impressions / comments, etc.

Yogi Robt

I miss Genghis Khan ....
gozzo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: king golden flair Reply with quote

Hi Rob I just thought i would add to this discussion.I have a 1976 king golden flair which has the multibore feature with a very tight leadpipe -around 0.450 at the reverse tuning slide 0.455 at the end of the tuning slide and0.458 at the valves which is Committee like I suppose-it has golden flair on the mouthpiece receiver and a large late bell flair with nothing engraved on the bell -serial 557XXX.
I think the horn you have is a late 1990's horn model which is not based on the Committee and is a UMI horn- still a great horn.
Gozzo
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Gozzo --

Your horn is obviously the definitive original prodution. The dimensions of your step-bore set-up match those of the King Super-20 Symphony Dual-Bore (the "Harry James" model) ... 458" / 468".

My horn does have a step-bore mouthpipe-end / tuning-slide exit set-up. However; different dimensions. This horn is of .448" / .458" configuration. That .448" dimension is shared by the non-Dual-Bore Super-20 S2 I have. King considered the .448"-bore horns "medium-bore". Also, your horn has one brace on the tuning slide. Mine has one on the tuning slide, and one about an inch-and-a-half closer to the player, between the mouthpipe and lower tuning-slide receiving tube.

Yes -- very, very nice playing (and sounding) horn !

Yogi Robt

I miss Genghis Khan ....
gozzo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob forgot to mention-playing wise the golden flair has a very tight feel-and ,for me at least ,is NOT a lead horn -just too much resistance!!How does your horn shape up?Oh and by the way it is gold plated though very thinly -can almost see silver underneath!!! [/img]
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, again, Gozzo --

My horn has what I might call "moderate resistance". I don't believe (as you suggest) it would carry the load as a lead-horn.

By-the-way, it's not gold, nor silver. It's blue (as from the factory, not a "refin").

Yogi Robt

I miss Genghis Khan ....
Jolora

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Rowe wrote:
... this horn has no letter-prefix. Does have "44" before the normal, grouped serial-number.

I do see, enscribed on the bell, "KING", "2065", "U.S.A.". Also, some interesting little "scrolls" enscribed inside the bell-rim, in a ring about 5/16" from the rim.

Robert,

I have this exact horn, as well. I bought it new in '94, being told it was a "Golden Flair," though nothing inscribed on the horn says "Flair," Golden or otherwise.

Serial No.: 44 477311. By the way, add 50 to the prefix to get the year of manufacture. So these horns were built in '94.

Even after 25 years, it plays great. Valve compression is tight, slots well, and I've managed to keep it in near mint condition. Too bad I almost never play it anymore. All my work is on my Schilke C or my Yamaha Eb/D these days.

King/KMI 2065 Bb
Schilke C1
Yamaha D/Eb
Getzen Eterna 4-valve Flugelhorn
CarolBrass CTR-6580-RLM(D)-Bb-SL Eurobell Bb
CarolBrass CTR-6580-RLM(D)-C-SL C
SpeedyJ97

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: King 2065 Reply with quote

I also have one of these horns. #398337 I feel it is certainly kind of a sleeper and can stand up against many out there. I did not fully realize this until I was shopping for horns for 2 of my kids. And it became apparent, to them and I, my old king was 'easy' to play. It is a UMI era King, model 2065. Made in 92, bought on sale in 1993. I think these were only available from 92-96? maybe 92-94? I too have managed to keep the horn in near mint condition. I am just an amateur, but still pull it out every so often to play and participate in alumni events. It has the decorative laser engraving on the bell and its interior. No where mentioning "Flair". It was advertised by the salesman as the Golden Flair, and they also sold many 2055 silver flairs with trigger from the same shop. At the time it had a mail order rebate type package when you registered the horn and UMI sent a vinyl gig bag, metal straight mute, silver cloth and oil etc. I remember another fellow had a similar horn, although it was a Benge and was purchased from the same shop around the same time? Maybe im nuts on that. Any info on this era would be appreciated. They do seem rare/ish and hard to find info on this UMI era.

I also cut my chops on an LA olds ambassador. #130945 Still have it and am amazed that there is a resurgence in these old gals. Mine certainly needs a valve job and relaquer. The valves arent too leaky and it still doesnt take much effort to play. But the shop says they are way loose. Ah well.

Surprised to see a principal player in such a fine organization give this king praise. Tells me what id thought all along. its not a bad horn at ALL

-Jeremy
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jolora wrote:
Robert Rowe wrote:
... this horn has no letter-prefix. Does have "44" before the normal, grouped serial-number.

Robert,

I have this exact horn, as well. I bought it new in '94, being told it was a "Golden Flair," though nothing inscribed on the horn says "Flair," Golden or otherwise.

Serial No.: 44 477311. By the way, add 50 to the prefix to get the year of manufacture. So these horns were built in '94.

Even after 25 years, it plays great. Valve compression is tight, slots well, and I've managed to keep it in near mint condition. Too bad I almost never play it anymore. All my work is on my Schilke C or my Yamaha Eb/D these days.

I agree completely with Jolara. You have a 1994 King trumpet built by United Musical Instruments. It's appearance is very similar to the Benge 90B Lenore trumpet also built by UMI. Yours is not the classic King Golden Flair medium-large bore trumpet built and discontinued in the 1970s by King Musical Instruments based upon the information you provided. Your model is still a very fine professional trumpet, however.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zombie thread!😈😉

Brad
josephdb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:34 am    Post subject: King Golden Flair Reply with quote

I have A Golden Flair like new. The case was new so was the horn serial number was 500xxx the valves didn't have a mark on them and really hadn't"
be broke in It was a very light It was a multi bore reverse slide on the valves was King Musical instruments on the bell side was King Golden Flair had the old type King Case Silver Flair/ Benge case. Super Player! and it was like the Silver Flair in the respect it could peel paint But it could get a very creamy dark sound if you backed offed very much like a Martin Committee. Great Horn
Joe
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one in the late '70's and found it to be a wonderful horn for small pit orchestras in that it could produce an intense sound at lower volume levels.

It would be interesting to compare one to a Schilke B6 and a Getzen Eterna with the smaller .458 tuning slide.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best info on Kings is on HN white website, although the golden flair was produced after the whites were letting go. I do think there is a little info on there about it. If the golden flair valve lock is same as the 1055 silver flair, I recommend it as the best valves I’ve ever played. I’m sending my 66 Flair to Eclipse for a new bell and Leadpipe system, that’s how good the body is. I played one and the one I played was not the lead horn the 1055 was.
Rod
lizm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:55 pm    Post subject: King Golden Flair Reply with quote

I have come to this zombie thread hoping there might still be someone alive out there! I recently dug out my Golden Flair to play in a band for the first time since 1986. Thinking what a lovely piece it is, I ought to find out how much of a collector's item it might be before I let anyone run off with it. We play on the Promenade on Edinburgh's seafront, and it can get a bit crowded.
The serial number on mine is 602503 on the shaft of the middle valve, and there is not marking on the bell but an engraving "King Golden Flair" where the mouthpiece fits.
It was highly prized by my band leader but I haven't truly done it justice with the sound!
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lizm wrote:
I recently dug out my Golden Flair to play in a band for the first time since 1986. Thinking what a lovely piece it is, I ought to find out how much of a collector's item it might be before I let anyone run off with it. We play on the Promenade on Edinburgh's seafront, and it can get a bit crowded.

Yes, take care not to put it in a situation where it might get stolen! Your description of the horn ("King Golden Flair" engraved on the mouthpiece receiver) and serial number (it was manufactured in the mid 70's) confirm that it is a KMI 1077 Golden Flair. This is a very fine horn, and much rarer than the well-respected 1055T Silver Flair (with a completely different valve block, leadpipe, and bell taper). It plays beautifully, with a tone that I would describe as intimate and expressive. (I own two, and the only way I'll give then up is if someone pries them from my cold, dead fingers!)

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"

Last edited by Halflip on Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: King Golden Flair Reply with quote

lizm wrote:
I have come to this zombie thread hoping there might still be someone alive out there! I recently dug out my Golden Flair to play in a band for the first time since 1986. Thinking what a lovely piece it is, I ought to find out how much of a collector's item it might be before I let anyone run off with it. We play on the Promenade on Edinburgh's seafront, and it can get a bit crowded.
The serial number on mine is 602503 on the shaft of the middle valve, and there is not marking on the bell but an engraving "King Golden Flair" where the mouthpiece fits.
It was highly prized by my band leader but I haven't truly done it justice with the sound!

Your King Golden Flair is a valuable horn because they are rare. The Golden Flair was indeed designed and created at the request of legendary trumpeter Pete Candoli. He told me that himself. He was playing the King Silver Flair which is a very free-blowing, big sound commercial trumpet, but he needed a horn with a more compact sound for his small group recording sessions. That's how the Golden Flair came about. Take good care of that nice trumpet!
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: