• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pro and con Claude Gordon?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrianCade
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Great posts Mike and Don!

Concerning the 52 week idea, really, one should consider Systematic Approach to be a two year trip. If one tries to do one lesson per week, the material builds up very quickly and often will result in an over-practicing situation. Perhaps it's the same with "Double High C in Ten Minutes". Maybe one should spend 20 minutes with that method.

I spend as much time as necessary to get a solid 7 continuous days with SA. I started my fourth pass through SA 6 months ago and am only up to Lesson 9.
Bicestertrumpeter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: SA material build up Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
x9ret wrote:
A con must be that it takes 52 weeks or something to do the book?

Seriously though, for an experienced player then I doubt you'd need to start at the first exercise?

You're a bit off-base here. Honestly, I think your first sentence is a sign of the times more than anything else.

First off, in reality the 52 week idea is extremely hopeful. In reality, someone doing the entire SA book should spend at least two weeks on each Lesson, otherwise the practice time per day builds up too fast. So it is more like a two to three year approach. And in reality, that's just the beginning. For instance, if you go through Claude's book "Daily Trumpet Routines" and do all the articulation models of the different lessons as assigned, it takes about eight years to do the whole book. If you really studied with Claude (or really use his method or study with one of his students), you'll go through all the major books eventually - Gatti, Arban, St Jacome, World's Method, Clarke's "Technical Studies", Clarke's "Characteristic Studies", Clarke's "Setting Up Drills", Ernest Williams, Colin, Claude's Velocity Studies, Claude's "Tongue Level Exercises", Irons, Smith, Schlossberg, Lozano, Charlier, Petit, the Sigmund Herring books, and on and on and on.

I spent fourteen years studying with Claude and we never ran out of material for me to practice and develop from - it was his poor health near the end of his life that brought about the end of my time studying with him. If he were alive today I'd still be taking lessons.

As for your last sentence, while you are right, I think you still have the wrong idea there, too. Lesson One in Systematic Approach was just written by Claude with the idea of it being practiced so that the student could get the feel of the pedal notes. In reality, he would help a new student find the proper way to play the Pedals, and then he'd start the new student on Lesson Two in the book (not Lesson One). But whether the student was a High School player or a seasoned professional, Lesson Two would always be the first set of exercises used from the SA book.

The real point and the end goal of using Claude's method is not to become a real good trumpet player. It is to develop into a virtuoso trumpet player. That doesn't happen in 52 weeks. But it happens and it'll happen every time if one sticks with it long enough for nature to take its course (barring unusual physical or mental deficits).

I am very glad you posted what you posted, because your first sentence in particular reminds me of two attitudes that seem to be pervasive among trumpet players. The first (and the one your first sentence alludes to) is the idea that any worthwhile method should produce fast results and the second is the idea that only a select few can develop virtuosic levels of ability. Both these attitudes, though quite common, are wrong.

Best wishes,

John Mohan

Hi John

Are you saying that a lesson should be spread over more than a day, so that maybe parts 1 -3 or 4 could be done one day and the rest the day after, so that a lesson would last a fortnight or more? It did strike me that the amount of daily practice becomes very extended as one progresses through the book and also that,even with appropriate rest one can become so fatigued in the embouchure that range starts to decline rather than improve.

Many thanks

Steve
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: SA material build up Reply with quote

Bicestertrumpeter wrote:
Hi John

Are you saying that a lesson should be spread over more than a day, so that maybe parts 1 -3 or 4 could be done one day and the rest the day after, so that a lesson would last a fortnight or more? It did strike me that the amount of daily practice becomes very extended as one progresses through the book and also that,even with appropriate rest one can become so fatigued in the embouchure that range starts to decline rather than improve.

Many thanks

Steve

Hi Steve, and welcome to the Trumpet Herald!

I'm not suggesting stretching the daily routine into two days. What I meant, was, one is better off spending two weeks on each Lesson before moving on to the next Lesson in the book so that the amount of practice per day builds up slower.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Webcam Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Bicestertrumpeter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: SA material build up Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Bicestertrumpeter wrote:
Hi John

Many thanks

Steve

Hi Steve, and welcome to the Trumpet Herald!

I'm not suggesting stretching the daily routine into two days. What I meant, was, one is better off spending two weeks on each Lesson before moving on to the next Lesson in the book so that the amount of practice per day builds up slower.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Webcam Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested

Hi John

Many thanks for your helpful reply. I'm assuming that CG didn't prescribe his full routines on rehearsal/gig days? I'm finding at the moment that the routines are fatiguing me and my range is getting slightly worse rather than better (though other aspects are improving). Been doing them about 6 weeks. I'm hoping this will turnaround as I adapt.

How did CG students deal with additional material they had to practice for bands/exams/solos etc? Did they add this on after the final part of the SA routine? It seems difficult to reconcile the routines with other playing that has to be done.

Best wishes

Steve
John Helmke

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Steve-

I've been working through the Systematic Approach for about 15 months now. Early on I had a couple of lessons with John and it was enormously helpful. It's just so beneficial to work with someone who's actually been there and done that.

For me, I do the whole routine every day. If I'm fatigued its because I have moved to fast through the material and should probably go back a few lessons to ones that I can do comfortably before continuing on. I came at this with a fair amount of experience and am now on lesson 26 after 15 months. Don't rush through it. John will tell you that it's not a race. Build up slowing every day.

CG is not the only thing that I do daily but, in spite of the time required, it has become an important element of my daily routine.

Bach 37G
Bach 239/25H
Schilke P5-4
Bicestertrumpeter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John

I'm only on no.5 which I've done for about 10 days, so I'll take the advice and slow down until I'm comfortable. I still can't do the routines on band rehearsal days though because my lip doesn't recover sufficiently quickly (and there often isn't time either). What do other find? Would any players do a full 5 Part SA session and then play a 2 hour rehearsal or gig that same day?

Steve
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bicestertrumpeter wrote:
Thanks John

I'm only on no.5 which I've done for about 10 days, so I'll take the advice and slow down until I'm comfortable. I still can't do the routines on band rehearsal days though because my lip doesn't recover sufficiently quickly (and there often isn't time either). What do other find? Would any players do a full 5 Part SA session and then play a 2 hour rehearsal or gig that same day?

Steve

Maurice andre used to practice in the wee hours of the morning, so he could have the rest of the day to recover for the afternoon's rehearsals and concerts.

Doc Severinsen regularly practiced as much as 8 hours a day, I've heard.

The short answer is if you're a developed player, then it's possible. If you're a developing player, you need to be more careful.

While it may seem a simple question, what's to stop you from doing part or all of your routine after rehearsals and gigs?
If they're late in the evening, can you not do the routine early in the morning, then not play for several hours?

Also worth bearing in mind is that Systematic Approach is intended for an already fairly developed player, and the very serious student. If you're not, you might be better of using Physical Approach to Brass Playing and starting somewhere in the middle of the book.

Better still, get some lessons, and explain your situation, and let your teacher balance it all out for you.

Also worth noting is that most CG teachers don't prescribe material as it is stated in Systematic Approach. It's always altered to fit the level and weaknesses of the student. If your chops are fried after an hour, a teacher isn't going to give you 3 hours worth of stuff including a range study.

Get a couple of lessons to get the basic principles down, and to explain to your teacher your needs and then let them give you an outline of what to work through daily... and how.

I think John Mohan does "Crash Courses" via Skype. Bruce Haag can probably do those too, as could Jeff Purtle.

None of them are expensive teachers. Some guys charge $100+ an hour for lessons but I think Bruce, Jeff and John are all around the $60 mark at the moment.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regard to whether or not one should do the full routine on heavy performance days, Claude always said "work comes first." He felt that the routine could and should be adjusted if needed, to the player's work/performance schedule. If the work schedule was fairly steady (for instance, his students that were playing in the Las Vegas Show Bands), he'd write their routines with their work obligations in mind. In cases where one would have big performance days that didn't follow a regular schedule (such as performing studio calls or playing in a local big band), he'd advise the student to only play a portion of the daily routine on those days. Usually, the Systematic Approach would be the first thing left off the routine.

Personally, I've gone in both directions depending on what worked best at the time. In Germany there was a point where we had a children's musical ("Emil und die Detektive") running concurrently with Disney's "Der Glöckner von Notre Dame" (Hunchback) at the Potsdammer Platz Theater. Hunchback dropped down from eight to seven shows a week, the Emil played 6 shows a week, on Monday nights, Tuesday nights, and matinee shows several days of the week and 10am morning shows on weekends. I auditioned for Emil and got the job - so at that point I was playing 13 shows a week, including triples on Saturday and Sunday. Ouch! At this point, my "Daily Routine" consisted of just 10 minutes or so of Irons Flexibilities a half hour or so before the first show of the day.

But on the other hand, while playing "The Color Purple" here in Chicago a few years ago, I toned my Daily Routine down and started having trouble with the show - some of the long dance numbers with big shout choruses were starting to get the best of me. I attenuated my personal practice even more, and the situation just got worse. So I went in the opposite direction and increased my daily routine, and in particular I stared doing the Pedal and Range exercises of Systematic Approach Lesson Two (Parts 1 and 2, followed by S.A. Lesson Three Part 3 to relax my lip) every day except for double show days. Within a week I was fine again, and within another few weeks I was putting a Double B into one spot in the song "Push Da Button".

Basically, the player needs to find what works best for him or her in the particular situation. If the playing/work obligations are heavy, the Daily Routine should probably be diminished. A little experimentation to see what works best, is in order.

Regarding Crash Courses, I'd still be willing to do one for a player that wanted one, but with the advent of Skype, there's really no need for the Crash Course concept anymore. A player is MUCH better off taking Skype Lessons every two weeks, or even just once a month. That way, I can keep customizing his or her Daily Routine to exactly the right stuff and exactly the right amount of that stuff based on where the player is with his or her playing, the amount of outside work/playing he or she is doing, and what areas in particular need more or less attention. I charge $75 per lesson as I have since I started teaching again in 2002. Lessons typical last a bit over an hour with me, and sometimes less than an hour. Basically, the lesson lasts until we've completed what we need to complete during a particular lesson (the record time for a lesson is a bit over two hours).

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Bicestertrumpeter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all I'd just like to thank John and Stupidbrassobsession for their very helpful postings on this topic. I wouldn't describe myself as advanced, and I don't play for a living. I've been playing a long time but only ever practiced for 1 to 2 hrs max so the SA is a larger amount than that, particularly once the Clarke type exercises start to multiply. I've tried practicing early, but there is a limit to how early one can practice in the presence of neighbors. I'm reluctant to use a practice mute, particularly on the pedal and range studies since air flow is so important. Maybe the Clarke exercises could be done with a practice mute in extremis.

I have a teacher who recommended the SA book but without a great deal of follow up explanation (we were working on other material at that time). I think I may have over repeated the Clarke studies, as indicated by HLC. I note that further on in the book CG builds up the repetitions so I suspect that the SA approach is to maybe only do one or two repeats when a study is first introduced and to begin at a speed below that set by HLC, but unfortunately the SA book is silent on these matters and CG is no longer with us to ask. That is why it is useful to hear from John, who has studied the method.

I think as for stamina I will omit the routine on performance days and reduce it on rehearsal days. Even done early in the day (and it's a long routine so it wouldn't finish that early) it still leaves some fatigue. Doc Severinsen has of course built up to several hours practice over many decades. He may not do 8 hours practice on a performance day?

I recently spoke with a player who took a lesson from one of the world's most famous players, legendary for being able to play fluently in all registers including the most extreme ones on fairly standard equipment, (you can probably guess who I'm referring to). The student asked to play a duet which went above the stave, perhaps to an A or thereabout s and this was declined as 'too high' given the performance that evening this from a player who can comfortably play above double C and has done so on numerous CDs (I have personally witnessed this player perform in London and I don't think he ever missed.
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some years back I met a guy who had done the SA book. Basically locked himself in a room and practiced 4-6 hours a day. I don't know who he was studying with, this had to be around 75-76. He had good sound up to double c while warming up. I never heard him play that far up in the rehearsals we were in. In warm ups he looked pretty relaxed in all registers.
Bicestertrumpeter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peanuts56 wrote:
Some years back I met a guy who had done the SA book. Basically locked himself in a room and practiced 4-6 hours a day. I don't know who he was studying with, this had to be around 75-76. He had good sound up to double c while warming up. I never heard him play that far up in the rehearsals we were in. In warm ups he looked pretty relaxed in all registers.

I'm sure it works if done reasonably conscientioulsy. It includes all the elements of good practice and, range aside, also tackles fingering, tongueing, slurring and flexibility and balances them into a schedule. I've not seen another method book that actually does this, most are collections of exercises arranged randomly or thematically but not into any kind of schedule.
jbeights
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
x9ret wrote:
A con must be that it takes 52 weeks or something to do the book?

Seriously though, for an experienced player then I doubt you'd need to start at the first exercise?

You're a bit off-base here. Honestly, I think your first sentence is a sign of the times more than anything else.

First off, in reality the 52 week idea is extremely hopeful. In reality, someone doing the entire SA book should spend at least two weeks on each Lesson, otherwise the practice time per day builds up too fast. So it is more like a two to three year approach. And in reality, that's just the beginning. For instance, if you go through Claude's book "Daily Trumpet Routines" and do all the articulation models of the different lessons as assigned, it takes about eight years to do the whole book. If you really studied with Claude (or really use his method or study with one of his students), you'll go through all the major books eventually - Gatti, Arban, St Jacome, World's Method, Clarke's "Technical Studies", Clarke's "Characteristic Studies", Clarke's "Setting Up Drills", Ernest Williams, Colin, Claude's Velocity Studies, Claude's "Tongue Level Exercises", Irons, Smith, Schlossberg, Lozano, Charlier, Petit, the Sigmund Herring books, and on and on and on.

I spent fourteen years studying with Claude and we never ran out of material for me to practice and develop from - it was his poor health near the end of his life that brought about the end of my time studying with him. If he were alive today I'd still be taking lessons.

As for your last sentence, while you are right, I think you still have the wrong idea there, too. Lesson One in Systematic Approach was just written by Claude with the idea of it being practiced so that the student could get the feel of the pedal notes. In reality, he would help a new student find the proper way to play the Pedals, and then he'd start the new student on Lesson Two in the book (not Lesson One). But whether the student was a High School player or a seasoned professional, Lesson Two would always be the first set of exercises used from the SA book.

The real point and the end goal of using Claude's method is not to become a real good trumpet player. It is to develop into a virtuoso trumpet player. That doesn't happen in 52 weeks. But it happens and it'll happen every time if one sticks with it long enough for nature to take its course (barring unusual physical or mental deficits).

I am very glad you posted what you posted, because your first sentence in particular reminds me of two attitudes that seem to be pervasive among trumpet players. The first (and the one your first sentence alludes to) is the idea that any worthwhile method should produce fast results and the second is the idea that only a select few can develop virtuosic levels of ability. Both these attitudes, though quite common, are wrong.

Best wishes,

John Mohan

Amen. I am just now finishing my first time through DTR and it has taken me over 5 years. I think we are suppose to come back to it and go through it a second time too for extended development kind of like Arban's is designed to actually be gone through 3 times each with a different focus correct?
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Bicester,
i come late in the post, and hope you resolved the question .
In case no, i'll recommand you to separate Part II and the following routine for more than 2 hours, maybe four (you can do PI & II in the morning, and the other parts in the afternoon.
In PII, rest more between sequences than how long last the sequences (rather than "rest as long as you play").
On busy day, when i was a young pro practicing SA, i used to play PI for warming up (beginning of the day/before gig), and let's say 10mn before the gig i played arpeggios along the 7 positions(starting from low F#) to cover my range, holding top note. But with enough rest between sequences.
No more.

I was a developping player, so to cover the entire routine was impossible. Anyway by that time, especially when finished my classical studies in Conservatory, i stupidly neglected all the other aspects...just because all i wanted was to be Lin Biviano
I had been so happy to get this book, that made me dream since a child, seeing it at the back cover of Arban! he really helped me for range and volume, especially some weeks after we got in Conservatory our jazz tp teacher, a good strong old school (in the noble meaning, like you could say Conrad Gozzo ) lead, great person ! i had never heard such a big fat sound, from down to high !
But i was often in overuse syndrom. Now i know why, after 26 years of being a pro, and having studied physiology etc. Because if you play it as written, you can go into trouble, especially if you're developping your playing....
Months ago, i read a post by John Mohan who indeed said C. Gordon made his students practice SA in a different manner, or adapted it to them.
It has to be this way. It makes sense, it's wisdom.
I'll finish saying that even if i don't think it's good to stay always in his own comfort zone, it's better not to think anymore "no pain no gain".
And even if everything in everybody can be developped and improved, everyone has his limits. Not everybody can support such a schedule that John Mohan talked about. Even with a lot of work and dedication. There are leads, soloist, etc, like sprinters, marathonians, etc. And 2 sprinters would not respond the same to such intensity or volume training, even if their perfs are equal.

good luck, and good night to everyone
duane v
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I study with Claude Gordon from 7th grade to the end of my freshman year in college, and as I look back about 50% of the curriculum was rudimentary, but that might have been due to my age.

There were two things he always stressed to me was keep yourself in good physical shape, as this would make me a more consistent player. And stay in the moment.

He was really supportive and was always eager to find the right trumpet that would fit my playing disposition.
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duane v wrote:
I study with Claude Gordon from 7th grade to the end of my freshman year in college, and as I look back about 50% of the curriculum was rudimentary, but that might have been due to my age.

There were two things he always stressed to me was keep yourself in good physical shape, as this would make me a more consistent player. And stay in the moment.

He was really supportive and was always eager to find the right trumpet that would fit my playing disposition.

Hi Duane,

When you say that about 50% of the curriculum was rudimentary could you elaborate on what you mean, and what you did that was rudiments and what wasn't?

I'm also curious about what you said about how he stressed you "stay in the moment". I hadn't heard that before - could you expand a little?

And also you mention he was quite active in trying to help you find a good instrument and that fit your disposition. Could you say more about what that entailed and what you ended up playing on etc?

As someone too young to have studied with Claude in person this sort of information is very interesting to me.

Thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: