• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Anybody ever hear of a Getzen Bob Ceccarini Custom Version?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajmix2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Anybody ever hear of a Getzen Bob Ceccarini Custom Version? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I've had this getzen Cusom Bob Ceccarini version for a while now, and the whole time I've had it I've been looking for it.

I wanna know if anybody knows anything about it or has ever heard of one. I found 1 guy who has had one and he couldn't find anything out about it. We both emailed Getzen to get no response. Dating the serial number puts it at 1992 but Getzen says nothing about it.

The only other thing I've found is a reference to Bob Ceccarini making a custom horn with Getzen a while back and it being in limited production. Yea...limited, I only know of 2.

So if anyone knows anything about it please let me know, I'm dieing to hear about my horn.

BTW, It plays absolutely wonderfully, I don't love any other horn as much as this one.

Thanks,
AJ

Last edited by ajmix2 on Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can edit the title of this thread to include "Getzen" and the name, Brett getzen will see it and possibly post... or email him.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
ajmix2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed the title/subject, maybe that will suffice.

Thanks for the tip!

AJ
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajmix2 wrote:
I changed the title/subject, maybe that will suffice.

Thanks for the tip!

AJ
If he checks in and sees it I'll bet he'll reply. He's pretty good about that. Meanwhile here's a quote from one of his posts about the Getzen Gazette. Might be worth a try...

"If you have a question please feel free to email me at brett@getzen.com."

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this post and I know nothing about this horn. Never heard of it before, but I will ask around and get back to you.

Brett Getzen

Follow Getzen on:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/getzencompany/

Twitter https://twitter.com/GetzenCompany

If you have a question please feel free to email me at brett@getzen.com.
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I did a little digging. Bob Ceccarini was a trumpet player in St. Louis. Back in the day, we made a special version of the 700S for a dealer there with his name on it. It was slightly different from the standard 700S trumpet, but we can't find anything on the specs for it yet. There weren't that many made and it just got lost in the shuffle. I will keep digging though.

Brett Getzen

Follow Getzen on:

Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right. I have more information for you.

This horn was built on a .464" bore 20 Renaissance trumpet valve set. It had a gold brass 900 Eterna bell and a 1200 Eterna II #1 leadpipe. It also had an accelerator tube in the lower outside tuning slide tube, Renassance caps and finger buttons, and nickel plated piston springs. The overall chassis of the horn was built like a 1200 Eterna II. I still can't find anything regarding original pricing.

I have to be honest, reading the specs on this horn makes it sound like a real Frakenhorn. A large bore horn with a tight mouthpipe. A gold brass bell which is usually warmer/darker sounding paired with a mouthpipe intended to be sharp and edgy. I am curious, how does this thing sound?

Brett Getzen

Follow Getzen on:

ajmix2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This horn sounds absolutely amazing, I often get comments about my great tone. In my personal opinion, I don't think any other horn would cut it for me, it's just that amazing. I did notice some of the "frankenhorn" qualities such as the chamfered tuning slide and the different bell. Theres a visible line where the different bell was put on, but it's not noticeable unless you get right up next to it.
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob is still a fantastic trumpet player in St. Louis. I studied with him for several years. Great teacher, great human being, great player. For a long time he was 1st call lead player in town and 3rd with the symphony. He can do it all.
ajmix2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to get out there to meet him or even play with him. But sadly, I'm a poor musician and have no money.
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Ceccarini great trumpet player and my teacher all through college. More than that hes a better person than trumpet player and he is a great player and teacher. A close friend of my family for many years. He had a strong relationship with Getzen for along time.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I'm really impressed Mr. Getzen's willingness to bird-dog the details on this. It's the sort of thing we'd like to see from all musical instrument companies, but know we never will.
ajmix2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess he's just a really nice guy. Either way, knowing that I have a wonderful sounding/playing horn that is limited in quantity excites me. I just wish I could know how much it is worth.
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just said how much it's worth.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
ajmix2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, and thank you for straightening me out. The horn is worth much to me because of play-ablility and how much I love it.
ajmix2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, for anyone interested....

I heard back from the guy that I bought the horn from, I asked who the dealer was that he got the horn from and he told me that the dealer was the name on the horn.
gfpharmd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Bob's horn Reply with quote

I have one of these trumpets myself. My parents bought it for me in 1990 for a senior year high school graduation gift. I played it once and fell in love with it. Smoothest sound ever and sooooo easy to play. I belted out tunes on the football field, during jazz festivals and still created a classical sound for the All-Suburban band.

I was told a story by the sales guy about Bob and Getzen negotiating a new horn. He wanted something special. Supposedly they felt they could reproduce the Frakenhorn or some such trumpet that was 'legend'. They created a prototype as the story went and Bob played it. He then took it home and they had to come up with another prototype to make the limited editions because he would not give the first one back.

May have been gowash for all I know, I was 17. The only thing I knew for sure was I loved it from the first moment I played it, just like the story went with Bob, erh Mr Ceccarini. I too went home with it after my father parted with about $1000. I too never let it go and still play it today. I hope I never need to replace it, especially if Getzen has no idea about it!!!
Nicholas1090

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob ceccarini is currently my trumpet teacher. He is a great player and person. I asked him about this horn and he told me that it didn't turn out the way he wanted and it didnt receive many good reviews so he stopped the production of it. Now there are very few left.
lead_trumpet_girl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: ~~Ceccarini Version Getzen trumpet sold on eBay this week! Reply with quote

Getzen wrote:
All right. I have more information for you.

This horn was built on a .464" bore 20 Renaissance trumpet valve set. It had a gold brass 900 Eterna bell and a 1200 Eterna II #1 leadpipe. It also had an accelerator tube in the lower outside tuning slide tube, Renassance caps and finger buttons, and nickel plated piston springs. The overall chassis of the horn was built like a 1200 Eterna II. I still can't find anything regarding original pricing.

I have to be honest, reading the specs on this horn makes it sound like a real Frakenhorn. A large bore horn with a tight mouthpipe. A gold brass bell which is usually warmer/darker sounding paired with a mouthpipe intended to be sharp and edgy. I am curious, how does this thing sound?

Brett Getzen

Dear Friends
I just dug my own Getzen Bob Ceccarini horn!
(I noticed one on eBay went for over $800.)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270808447110?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Mine is a wonderful player, a surprise to me since I usually prefer to play my own hybrid creations.
After reading the described specs, I believe I have a very special horn.
How many others in TH Land have one of these babies, I wonder?
Take care,

www.classictrumpet.com
James B. Quick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajmix2:
Quote:
I'm a poor musician and have no money.

Don't feel bad. I'm a good musician and I have no money...

jbq
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: