• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Changing receiver on old Olds cornet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Changing receiver on old Olds cornet Reply with quote

I've just purchased a 1930s Olds cornet (it hasn't arrived yet).

As you experts know, Olds cornets of that vintage have receivers that require oversized shanks. The one I bought has had the original receiver replaced with a more modern Olds receiver that accommodates regular-sized, modern mouthpieces.

Is this a common practice and one that is routinely successfully executed? I'm asking because I'm considering buying other early Olds cornets. I've played vintage Olds mouthpieces and I don't like them.

I suppose that other players faced with this problem find a mouthpiece maker who will make a custom shanked mouthpiece.

I'd love to hear other Olds players discuss this issue and how they dealt with it.
david mickley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the receiver replaced on my Olds Recording, lets me try many different m.p.before buying.
assorted other horns
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david mickley wrote:
Had the receiver replaced on my Olds Recording, lets me try many different m.p.before buying.

How did you find the replacement receiver, and did it work well with the other mouthpieces you tried?
david mickley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took horn to local tech, don't know where he got the receiver. Works very well, used the horn in a BBBand while I loaned out my Getzen Eterna. Had the same thing done to an Ambassador cornet and when needs I sold it the buyer was happy. It works with my Bach, Curry, Shilke and Getzen m.p.
assorted other horns
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never considered changing the receiver on any of my vintage Olds cornets, although I know people who've done just that. A couple of them have even switched to trumpet receivers (with a bit of leadpipe trimming) because they prefer specific trumpet mouthpieces. My take: if it's a collector's item, leave it alone. If it's an Ambassador or a Special, WGARA? But the situation isn't without other options. I have a number of mouthpieces with the correct shank for older Olds cornets - from Curry, Warburton, Parduba, even Bach. I'd imagine other makers would do the same on request.*

*I forgot to mention: I know a fine player who has recently joined the ranks of those addicted to vintage Olds cornets, and he's been having mouthpieces sleeved to fit by Reeves. Lots of ways to go that don't involve modifying the horn.

Last edited by ChopsGone on Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
david mickley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markp - if you change out the receiver keep the original, it can be put back on if you decide later to sell.
assorted other horns
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good advice.
DNMH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Receiver Change Reply with quote

Had a trumpet receiver put on an Olds Super cornet and didn't like the new sound. Sold it and the buyer loved it.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a flugel shank (Bach taper) that fits large receiver Olds. I have a top to go with it that makes it sound like a real cornet.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrecting an old post . . . I just snared a 1938 The Olds cornet with the large shank. These horns never cease to amaze me, and this one is a real dandy!

Nick DeCarlis says to just trim down and place some transparent packing tape around the shank of my regular mouthpiece which I have been doing and the results seem to be okay, but I haven't played the horn on a gig yet.

Wondering if you ever got that smaller receiver, Mark, and if anybody else has had any less than great results with the tape-on-the-shank approach.

Thanks!
derby_mute
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my understanding that it is possible to purchase one of the cornet to trumpet adapters and have it cut down to work on an Olds leadpipe. I recently bought a pre-WWII Olds Special and found that an old Buescher cornet to trumpet adapter works perfectly on the Olds leadpipe.
Selmer model #43
Selmer Concept
Baldwin Custom (Blessing Artist stencil)
1923 Buescher shepherd's crook
1880 F. Besson Paris
Trumpets:
1931 Cleveland Greyhound
1935 Olds French model
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry and probably others offer the Olds large shank as an option. That doesn't solve the need for being able to just pick up a mouthpiece and try it, but it would allow you to get a mouthpiece that fits while preserving the original instrument.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tech can just put a modern receiver on. It is a straight forward operation.
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to be a duplicate of another post i opened. Have lathe, will travel. I can make a modern receiver. The thing is though, I need to know if the intonation is impacted and if it requires any mod to the the lead pipe. in that case I wouldn't do this. Lots of replies to the effect of "I know a guy" ... Does anyone have first hand experience ? dimensions, other than the bore would be even better. I know it's a Morse 1 taper and should allow the mpc to seat, 7/8's in. I need numbers.... Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: