• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Does Chicago style apply to jazz/commercial players?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brass_Of_All_Trades
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Does Chicago style apply to jazz/commercial players? Reply with quote

I've noticed that most of posters on this sub forum seem to be legit oriented and most examples of the Chicago school are from orchestral players. Also, I've noticed that most commercial players tend to focus more on the embouchure and tend to analyze things more than classical players.

I like the idea of wind and song and the way it simplifies everything but I'm not sure how well it applies to someone like me who aims to a solid jazz, funk, fusion, and lead player.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to explore the Adam Forum.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
jiarby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it really only applies to pizza and hot dogs.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping the sound you wish to achieve in mind, i.e. using a sound model, and playing to that model, applies to anything you are playing. As does good wind support. My teacher had me spend time with recordings and Aebersold to improve my jazz chops (something I have done rarely the past year or two, alas). Listen, emulate, play to the sound you want to hear.

As for Pat's comment, well, nothing Bill Adam presented contradicts the Chicago approach AFAIK (admitting I only met him a few times and was never his student), and since Pat plays a bit of jazz it wouldn't hurt to pop over there...

FWIWFM - Don
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
Keeping the sound you wish to achieve in mind, i.e. using a sound model, and playing to that model, applies to anything you are playing. As does good wind support. My teacher had me spend time with recordings and Aebersold to improve my jazz chops (something I have done rarely the past year or two, alas). Listen, emulate, play to the sound you want to hear...

FWIWFM - Don

Exactly!
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Does Chicago style apply to jazz/commercial players? Reply with quote

Brass_Of_All_Trades wrote:
I've noticed that most of posters on this sub forum seem to be legit oriented and most examples of the Chicago school are from orchestral players. Also, I've noticed that most commercial players tend to focus more on the embouchure and tend to analyze things more than classical players.

I like the idea of wind and song and the way it simplifies everything but I'm not sure how well it applies to someone like me who aims to a solid jazz, funk, fusion, and lead player.

Most of today's "legit" players are more analytical than you might imagine, but the analysis is focused on the music itself, not the techniques involved. Clubs and studios of every kind are packed with Classical players who also play lead/rock/jazz/funk/etc, far more than vice versa. If you still need to learn to play high and gain endurance, you're still operating in the basic techniques region; much of that can be gained by focusing on the sound and feel instead of the technique itself. Extreme high playing is somewhat of an exception, but should not really be approached until one has a firm and comfortable grasp of the full "normal" range of the instrument. I've certainly been there; it's like we all want screw in an extra upper octave worth of strings onto our pianos before we've even learned our scales...
Brass_Of_All_Trades
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Does Chicago style apply to jazz/commercial players? Reply with quote

bike&ed wrote:
Most of today's "legit" players are more analytical than you might imagine, but the analysis is focused on the music itself, not the techniques involved. Clubs and studios of every kind are packed with Classical players who also play lead/rock/jazz/funk/etc, far more than vice versa. If you still need to learn to play high and gain endurance, you're still operating in the basic techniques region; much of that can be gained by focusing on the sound and feel instead of the technique itself. Extreme high playing is somewhat of an exception, but should not really be approached until one has a firm and comfortable grasp of the full "normal" range of the instrument. I've certainly been there; it's like we all want screw in an extra upper octave worth of strings onto our pianos before we've even learned our scales...

Extreme upper register playing isn't really a pressing concern for me at the moment. I care about owning the notes from high C to high G anytime and any day of the week more than hitting a triple high C or whatever.

I know that classical player's are also analytical but like you said their analysis is typically not towards the mechanics of playing. I've never heard an orchestral musician start talking about things like "wedge breathing", "tongue hiss", etc. "anchor tonguing", etc nor have I heard of one using gadgets like the PETE or pencil tricks and the like.
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Does Chicago style apply to jazz/commercial players? Reply with quote

[quote="Brass_Of_All_Trades"]
bike&ed wrote:

Extreme upper register playing isn't really a pressing concern for me at the moment. I care about owning the notes from high C to high G anytime and any day of the week more than hitting a triple high C or whatever.

I know that classical player's are also analytical but like you said their analysis is typically not towards the mechanics of playing. I've never heard an orchestral musician start talking about things like "wedge breathing", "tongue hiss", etc. "anchor tonguing", etc nor have I heard of one using gadgets like the PETE or pencil tricks and the like.

Exactly; most top-notch "legit" players don't need to use gadgets or technique trickery because they already have gained virtually complete control of the instrument within the range you mention (it's my preferred range as well, I haven't performed higher than a 4-line G in years). There are exceptions of course...
gringoloco
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Does Chicago style apply to jazz/commercial players? Reply with quote

Brass_Of_All_Trades wrote:
bike&ed wrote:

We do all that stuff too. Talk to people that take auditions, they'll try anything to get better.
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Does Chicago style apply to jazz/commercial players? Reply with quote

gringoloco wrote:

We do all that stuff too. Talk to people that take auditions, they'll try anything to get better.

Yeah, on the other hand, I guess that's true too. (as I look in the mirror with some embarrassment)
Daniel Barenboim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No

DB
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my take on it, FWIW.

I'd like to clarify: I'm no jazz player by any stretch. I'll be the first to admit it. Nor can I call myself an expert of Chicago School (there are posters here who are far more qualified to make that statement than me), although I do consider myself a follower of it.

What I know of the Chicago School and the approach of its followers is that it focuses on good breath (wind) with a good musical concept (song). "Be a story teller of sound" (Arnold Jacobs). Isn't that really what jazz musicians are trying to accomplish too? It's not a classical or jazz approach. It's a musical/pedagogical approach.

I can't see why it would not work for jazz musicians.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trumpetplanet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lew Soloff had lessons with both Arnold Jacobs and Bud Herseth.
When it comes to having a good set up (breathing right, imagining how you want to sound), it all applies.

https://neotericbrass.com/
https://trumpetpla.net/
https://tonguecontrolled.info/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: