• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Compression Exercises

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssbtrumpet1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Compression Exercises Reply with quote

Question: Can compression exercises get rid of/cure smiling?

So I was practicing out of the Focal Point Book tonight and I was on exercise one in section 6. I think this is the pinwheel exercise; it starts on high C - B - high C - high Db - high C - Bb etc... I think it goes from high C to high G by the end of the line. Then the next line starts on high Db, and does the same thing.

Background info: My left corner for some reason REALLY pulls back when I ascend, but right corner does not. I've taken lessons from some teachers who think this is a huge deal, and others who say don't worry about it.

The reason I ask the question is because as I was practicing this compression exercise, both my corners felt pretty firm like they weren't moving at all. However, now that I think about it, I didn't check in a mirror to confirm that.

Thoughts?
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Compression Exercises Reply with quote

Breath attacks and the pencil trick over a period of time will help get rid of a "smile." Those combined with adopting the correct pivot for your particular type will eventually eliminate the tendency to smile to ascend (both corners).

Compression (when not overdone) will help "cure" a lot of bad habits. You've reminded me that I have not been practicing compression drills daily for awhile. Thanks for the reminder.

By the way, that's a spiderweb, not the pinwheel.
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: generally Reply with quote

Generally, players play one of two ways, regardless of angles, types, etc. Either they play from the center of their embouchure, aperture focused, or from the corner tension.
One of the greatest ways to learn more about playing from the center, is to use the Costello- Stevens exercises, and especially the older Costello book. Additionally, when practicing simple things, begin to think top, down, bottom, anchored but toward center. Learn how to control, flex and relax from the center. Buzzing with a berp helps this as well. When practicing the Reinhardt warm ups and routines, think center, under the mp..not corners. Best..MJM
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevens-Costello may use that approach, but that is not at all what Reinhardt taught, and is one the things I usually have to correct on players with problems. Control should come from below the corners, and NEVER from the middle in my opinion.
ssbtrumpet1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practicing them again today, noticed I have a definite break in my compression range. I can squeak up to a high Eb before I have put my tongue against my lower lip for support. I know this is not something I want to be doing, we discussed this is another thread about flips. However, any attempt to ascend w/o it doesn't seem to work, or only sporadically.

Any suggestions?
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Players have played naturally and successfully both ways. I do. Phil Smith says Tee.......Ray Mace places the tip of his tongue by his bottom teeth. I..do both and teach both. Correct playing defines correct technique. Best...MJM.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Elliott wrote:
Stevens-Costello may use that approach, but that is not at all what Reinhardt taught, and is one the things I usually have to correct on players with problems. Control should come from below the corners, and NEVER from the middle in my opinion.

I think this question is pertinent to the OP: properly co-ordinating tension between area 1 and area 2 is what breaking the dreaded smile to ascend habit is about? The putty ball routine will address said co-ordination if we have the tendency to be too tense in area 2 (outside the corners) and perhaps not firm enough in area 1? (Nose to chin, and mouth corners to center)
ssbtrumpet1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, day 3 or 4 of practicing compression exercises, and I have a question. While I was trying to breath attack up to a high C and getting nothing but air, I started to loosen/let my bottom lip "slide out" from over my bottom teeth. Nothing/just air, let out the lip a little more - nothing, out a little more - whoa, wait starting to make a sound - a little more, and I got a teeny, tiny DHC squeaker, and I could hold it.

Question: Am I on the right track to this? Or, please tell me I'm on the right track!!
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, I'd have to see it.
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: bring Reply with quote

Bring your bottom jaw and lip out slightly. A well known player under Toscanni..and teacher used to say.." Bring your flat chin forward." Best..mjm.
ssbtrumpet1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think it solved two other problems as well. I didn't notice my bottom jaw receding or my tongue pushing on my lower lip.

I know less is more when it comes to this so I will keep playing with it. Doug I will PM you soon about scheduling a Skype lesson - unless you're coming to Northern California any time soon.
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: bring Reply with quote

mcgovnor wrote:
Bring your bottom jaw and lip out slightly. A well known player under Toscanni..and teacher used to say.." Bring your flat chin forward." Best..mjm.

That is probably good advice in this case.
The bottom lip over the teeth is a good starting point, but IIIA's need to bring it out and forward as they get stronger.
Paul T.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug,

"It", in your last sentence, refers to the jaw, right? Not the bottom lip?
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both. often.
Depends.
That's why I said I'd have to see it.
ssbtrumpet1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so after playing with the new embouchure for a couple of more days, I noticed that my bottom jaw is coming out and my bottom lip he's coming out too when I do the squeakers. However, this feels like a totally different embouchure – almost like I'm playing more upstream than downstream. My question is: are the squeakers just an exercise to do to develop compression, or does it encourage the bottom lip to roll out when I ascend?

Last edited by ssbtrumpet1 on Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: by Reply with quote

by trying to link what seems to be a completely different embouchure to your normal setting, through careful practice, your may build an amalgamation of both into one. If not, I would continue along as you are, adding and experimenting. Often, by increasing the ability to compress, your normal embouchure will be able to avert undue spread. Your endurance and range, as well as focus, may all improve. This is based upon my own playing, some 40 years ago, and observing others who I respected greatly, who used what you are describing, to get a grip on the mouthpiece quickly, even after warming up, or playing for hours. To be clear and with all due respect, I have no idea what Doc would have said, or how he would have respond to you.
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssbtrumpet1 wrote:
Okay, so after playing with the new embouchure for a couple of more days, I noticed that my bottom jaw is coming out and my bottom lip he's coming out too when I do the squeakers. However, this feels like a totally different embouchure – almost like I'm playing more upstream and downstream. My question is: are the squeakers just an exercise to do to develop compression, or does it encourage the bottom lip to roll out when I ascend?

What you are describing is a IIIA getting it together. Yes, it actually may feel like "upstream" but it's not. This will be your new set, angle, jaw position, and feel. The only thing to caution you about is that the bottom lip does not really "roll out," it still needs to be firm and tight against your bottom teeth - it's just that your jaw and bottom lip are in a new position and a new relationship to the top lip. Remember it's new and will take time to develop strength and endurance in this new position, so rest often.

And relating back to your original question, this should cure smiling; it encourages using the lower corner area instead of up and out.

Some IIIA's arrive at this gradually, some find it suddenly as you have, and some have a combination of new and old that gradually become one, as Mike described. And of course some never figure it out. Welcome to IIIA land.
ssbtrumpet1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU for your guidance Doug and McGovnor. I appreciate all the feedback!!!!!!!

So for now should I practice coming on the high tone squeakers? As I can't really flip up to them.

Thanks again!!
Doug Elliott
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now we're back to "I'd have to see it."
There's only so much you can do by forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: