• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monster Oil

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monster Oil
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Monster Oil Reply with quote

Hi everybody! Just wanted to let you all know about a new company in town – Monster Oil. Our aim is to get your gear so well-lubricated that you jump for joy, shout like a child, and maybe even pass a little gas.

Monster Oil’s products include 3 different valve oils (Original, Smoother, and Faster), a light slide oil, and a heavy slide grease.

Original is probably best for most folks,
But for those of you who play horns with very close valve tolerances, Faster may be the one.
Smoother is only for horns that need a very thick oil.
The slide oil is for slides you want to move on the fly (such as trumpet 1st and 3rd slides),
And the grease is very heavy - works great on slides you want to stay put.

The base oil is the cleanest synthetic on the market and has been used in the aerospace industry and NASA for many years. We have been working with our supplier for the last twelve months to achieve the best “cocktail” of ingredients we could find. We are all professional trumpet players and used this on the job for the last year until it was perfect.

As far as ingredients – it's as simple as valve oil gets. Just 3 ingredients: Base oil (for the slippery), solvent (to achieve the right viscosity and keep things clean), and a copper passivator (to keep the corrosion away). The trick was finding the proper amounts and types of these ingredients – which we finally did!

We are an all-American company – our oil, packaging, and Schwarzeneggeresque (it's a word, look it up) physiques are all made in the States. We also don't use animal testing for any of our products.

As for smell, Monster Oil is nearly odorless. We know because we asked a bloodhound who promptly yawned, licked his…leg a few times, and went back to sleep – clearly indicating nothing interesting.

You're probably asking yourself, “Who is behind the Monster”? Good question. You're welcome. We are all trumpet players in the U.S. Coast Guard Band - Chris Lane, Tom Brown, and Joel Baroody – also known as Cookie, Brownie, and, uh... Joel. Our job has allowed us to use this oil in many places people only dream of going – places like Groton, CT, New London, CT, and Norwich, CT.

Oil can be purchased at our website:

www.MonsterOil.net

We are running a Grand Opening special too! If you buy any two products, we will give you a third for free! That's zero dollars and zero cents (for any violists who may be tuning in).

If you frequent the Facebooks or the Twittersphere, we are:

https://www.facebook.com/monsteroilLLC

@MonsterOils

Please come like us, or tweet on us, or whatever it is you’re supposed to do.

There are more surprises coming in the near future – we've heard rumors about an interview series of famous brass players, and various contests. Keep an eye out for these.

We are committed to maintaining a relationship with the brass community for the long haul. To that end we offer this:

If you order an oil from us and feel that it is the wrong viscosity, we will send you a different viscosity oil free of charge! We know of no other company that offers this. We want you to be a customer for life, and will do anything to make you happy. (cue Meatloaf - “But we won't do that...”)

Thanks for taking the time to check out our products! Now get back to practicing.

Best,

The Monster Oil Team:

Chris Lane
Tom Brown
Joel Baroody

www.monsteroil.net
TrumpetJoel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a lot of valve oil threads here on the TH in my day...if anybody has any questions at all related to valve oil topics previously covered on TH and how they relate to Monster Oil, or other totally new questions, I'm always happy to answer anything at all from anybody, so feel free to PM me. Or Tom!
TrumpetJoel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or Chris, but I can't remember if he has a TH account or not...that's why I left him out.
ProAm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very funny, witty and entertaining website.

But why should I switch from Ultra Pure or Hetman's to your brand? What does Monster offer that other synthetics do not?

Can you answer that seriously?
Monster Oil
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProAm wrote:
Very funny, witty and entertaining website.

But why should I switch from Ultra Pure or Hetman's to your brand? What does Monster offer that other synthetics do not?

Can you answer that seriously?

Ultra Pure and Hetman's are great oils! We certainly did a lot of testing of their products to see how our stuff compared.

We think that what separates us is the quality of the base oil used. We became involved with a company that has VERY high-end contracts throughout the country in the lubrication market. They really didn't have much experience as far as brass lubricants. So we started with their base oil and fine-tuned it for 12 months to the point where it would be perfect for brass instruments.

The result is that it has a different feel than other oils on the market. The word we keep coming back to is "silky". It's a very smooth, refined feel. Hard to explain, but you'll notice immediately that it's unique.

The grease is also different than most. It's very thick and smooth. We already have several people in the Coast Guard Band addicted to this stuff.

Tell you what - pick up a bottle on our website - if the viscosity is wrong we'll send you a different viscosity free. If you hate that bottle we'll refund your money. We've had a good number of people try this oil, and people generally end up with a semi-silly grin on their face and want to know where they can get more.

I hope that answers your question.

Please let us know if you have any more!
Monster Oil
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to let you all know we are currently being carried at Dillon Music in Woodbridge, NJ.

Grab some when you get a chance!
mchs3d
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested. Not 100% happy with Hetman's and the other oil I liked...disappeared. By the way, ever make it out to Old Saybrook? That side of the river is awful nice.
Monster Oil
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Monkey Farm is one of my favorite spots! Haven't been in awhile though.

Give Monster a shot - if you hate it I'll meet you in Old Saybrook, buy you a beer, and personally hand you a refund!
BraeGrimes
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your lubricant petroleum based or synthetic?
mchs3d
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monster Oil wrote:
The Monkey Farm is one of my favorite spots! Haven't been in awhile though.

Give Monster a shot - if you hate it I'll meet you in Old Saybrook, buy you a beer, and personally hand you a refund!

Haha...unfortunately I live in Utah now.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BraeGrimes wrote:

And to follow up, you mentioned adding a solvent. Most solvents I'm aware of will evaporate quicker than water. Does this? Or to re-phrase, how long will the oil sit on an un-used valve and still give optimum lubrication before it needs re-oiling?

And how much oil in a bottle?
jvand678
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BraeGrimes wrote:

It says synthetic in his first post.
Monster Oil
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
BraeGrimes wrote:

And to follow up, you mentioned adding a solvent. Most solvents I'm aware of will evaporate quicker than water. Does this? Or to re-phrase, how long will the oil sit on an un-used valve and still give optimum lubrication before it needs re-oiling?

And how much oil in a bottle?

It is synthetic, which we have learned throughout this process is a VERY general term. Our base oil is very different than that of other synthetic oils. You should notice this difference in feel when you apply it.

As far as real world testing - it has lasted longer on our valves than any oil we've ever used. Evaporation is minimal. You will not be disappointed in its staying power.

Each bottle contains 1 ounce or 3cl of juice.

Hope this answers your questions.
spach
Veteran Member

Location: yazoo county, ms via northern calif. via central calif. via southern calif.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember in a previous post an OP mentioning he had thought about commercializing his valve oil formulation, but decided against it because of government regulations requiring press fit rather than less expensive screw on caps. Which do you use? Also, I use an oil based somewhat on the formula used by Tony Scodwell. It's also odorless, fast, lasting, and additionally doesn't feel sluggish on cold mornings (it will "freeze", though, if left out in the cold). It costs me about $.50 an ounce to mix up. How much would 32 ounces of Monster cost me?
1925 (or '34) MEHA (#878**)(.460)(4 3/4" bell)(32.6 oz.)
"Where, then, does the soul reside with its better body while it awaits the sound of the trumpet?"--Stephen J. Gould
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BraeGrimes wrote:

False dichotomy. Most synthetic lubricants are petroleum-based.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Monster Oil
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spach wrote:
I remember in a previous post an OP mentioning he had thought about commercializing his valve oil formulation, but decided against it because of government regulations requiring press fit rather than less expensive screw on caps. Which do you use? Also, I use an oil based somewhat on the formula used by Tony Scodwell. It's also odorless, fast, lasting, and additionally doesn't feel sluggish on cold mornings (it will "freeze", though, if left out in the cold). It costs me about $.50 an ounce to mix up. How much would 32 ounces of Monster cost me?

We use screw similar screw caps to most every valve oil manufacturer.

Glad to hear you found an oil that works for you! Fortunately there is no shortage of excellent oils on the market to suit everybody's needs.

Our oil retails for $7.95. We do have bulk specials as well.

As far as the freezing thing - most people have no need for a "freeze-proof" oil, but for those marching band folks up in Minnesota, we've left our oil in a freezer around 2 degrees Fahrenheit overnight and it came out just fine in the morning.

Best,

Monsters
silverhorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting. For me, the valve oil safari ranks third behind the mouthpiece and trumpet safari. I've tried many great oils and am always looking for the ultimate oil for my horns. Is this oil non-toxic and does it leave any residues on the valves? Is it as fast or faster than the current top oils on the market?
Monster Oil
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverhorn wrote:
Sounds interesting. For me, the valve oil safari ranks third behind the mouthpiece and trumpet safari. I've tried many great oils and am always looking for the ultimate oil for my horns. Is this oil non-toxic and does it leave any residues on the valves? Is it as fast or faster than the current top oils on the market?

Valve oil safari! Love it! Makes it sound so exotic. You're hired...

Who are we to say it's the ultimate oil for your horns? We're just some random guys wh... OK, it's the ultimate oil for your horns. Doesn't leave any residue, though since it's so long-lasting you'll notice it stays slippery for quite awhile.

The base oil is food grade and completely non-toxic, but the solvent isn't something you want to ingest. Similar to most valve oils on the market. The grease is food grade and completely non-toxic - though we are NOT recommending you ingest it either.

Is it fast or faster than the top oils on the market? It's comparable. We can say unequivocally that we think it is the silkiest, smoothest oil on the market. Everybody who tries it remarks about the amazing feel. The speed depends on which of our oils you buy - our "Faster" oil is ridiculously fast, but not quite as smooth as some may want. We think that "Original" is a great balance of smoothness, speed, and endurance.

Hope this answers your questions.

Best,

Monsters

Last edited by Monster Oil on Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
mchs3d
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some...
Monster Oil
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Please let us know what you think after you try it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: