• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I want an all around mouthpiece

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Isaacbyrdjrmusic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: I want an all around mouthpiece Reply with quote

I play jazz and I want a mouthpiece that is good for tone and range. I have a 3C and the 16C4 I have larger lips so the 3C isn't the most comfortable. Any tips
trptdave

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: I want an alla round mouthpiece Reply with quote

I usually do not respond to much anymore, but I will to this. As one who has spent WAY too much money on mouthpieces, let me give you this advice.

Spend the time and money and get fitted for a GR. If you are looking for one piece to kind of be a bit of everything, I think this may be you best bet. Other manufacturers do a great job as well, and there is no mouthpiece that does everything, but spending the time with a trained consultant, or with Brian is well worth it.

For reference you may be looking in the GR 65, 66 or3 range. But I defer to the trained consultants. And no, I no longer sell GR mouthpieces.

Back to lurking for now.
Dave
Melk Custom Bb
Melk Custom C
Melk Eb Conversion
Schilke XA1
Schilke P5-4
Schilke 1041L
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: I want an all around mouthpiece Reply with quote

Isaacbyrdjrmusic wrote:
I play jazz and I want a mouthpiece that is good for tone and range. I have a 3C and the 16C4 I have larger lips so the 3C isn't the most comfortable. Any tips

Well, you say you want a mouthpiece that is "good for tone and range." What type of tone do you want? Bright for lead? Darker for small combo jazz? Are you playing lead in a big band, or are you playing in a small jazz combo? I know some would disagree with this, but back when I was in college I used a different mouthpiece for concert band than for lead in a (large; approx. 20 piece) jazz band. Schilke 15 for concert band, Schilke 14a4a for jazz band and six piece gigs. Monette BL these days (12 piece funk band).

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:21 am; edited 1 time in total
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry 3 series.. I prefer his 3C but think a 3M could be a viable mouthpiece too. These have the feeling to me of being ever so slightly larger than a Bach 3C - I can't quote the specs.

Much more comfortable, consistent, and versatile that my Bach 3C and Yamaha 14B4. And still reasonably priced.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
trumpetplayer0103

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monettes work very well, but don't be afraid to go bigger, even if it means you have to practice more. Though it may not be very bright, I can project very well in the upper register with a 16c4. However, I've found a Monette to be more to my liking, and have since switched.
Schilkes22
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Zaferis. I use a Curry 3B for church, and a 3M for Big band stuff. The 3M has a nice sound for lead or 2nd part. Both rims feel exactly the same, so switching back and forth is not an issue. They feel a little bigger than the Bach 3C that I switched from. If I played any small group jazz, I think the 3B would get first nod.

All this being said, I am by no means an expert, just my 2 cents.
Warburton Mouthpieces
Berklee '95
Ed Hernandez
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shew Jazz by Yamaha should be in your try list.
wiemelen
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Spend the time and money and get fitted for a GR.

+1
Not the cheapest solution, but most mouthpiece safaris end up being more expensive and take a long time.
Cornet : Conn 80a (1919) with Curry 1,5 BBC + Curry 1,5 VC + GR L66,9 #6
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: I want an all around mouthpiece Reply with quote

Isaacbyrdjrmusic wrote:
Try a Monette 6. It's about the same size as a Bach 3C and could be used effectively in any musical setting. Not too big or too small to be considered a specialized piece.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Clifford Brown's sound has always been renowned for its juiciness. What mouthpiece did he use? Bach 17C1 and 17C2, equivalent now to Bach 10 3/4 CW. Small. Ditto Conte Condoli. Ditto Fats Navarro. You think of Red Allen's sound as small? Don't think so. He used a very small cup Zottola. Dizzy Gillespie: Al Cass 2-24 & 2-25-equivalent to a Bach 11.75. The list is long.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
wealy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play the Denis Wick 5x for my Pic which made a very big difference in my Pic playing. The day my collage roommate and I got it in the mail we both played it on that night's performance of the Firebird Suite. One of my other old roommates, whom subbed in Maynard's band back in the day, used the 5x as his lead piece. Last year I recommended it to a buddy of mine for his pic and he liked it so much he uses it for everything. He is mainly a jazz guy. As of last week, I started playing it for a musical because it sounds great and feels great down low and up high. I don't think I could play all night on it when playing lead over a big band but I now have a day job and am not as strong as I was as a full time musician.

I don't know anyone who didn't love the mouthpiece.
wealy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I was told that the gold version on the Denis Wick 5x doesn't really change anything. Just the look.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are in Florida, make a pilgrimage to Warburton's in beautiful Mims. You can try everything and get good advice from Ken. Gerry Lopez music in Oviedo (Orlando area) has a great selection of mouthieces including Curry, Bob Reeves, Yamaha and Bach. Bill Prang's Husonics in St. Petersburg has a great selection of Marcinkowicz mouthpieces and a lot of interesting trumpets as well.

Last edited by Ed Kennedy on Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
hackney_wick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delete

Last edited by hackney_wick on Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There no single "tone" that's ideal for all settings. I find I get pretty good results in a wide variety of settings with a Bach 1.5C though I've got a different rim screwed on to it that I like better.

Range isn't like to be greatly affected unless you're the type of player that gets some advantage from shallow/high-compression lead-type mouthpieces...not everyone does. If your range concerns are about lead playing then a shallower cup could give you more edge and presence which would allow you to back off and that could make things easier. Again, not everyone can play shallower pieces to good effect.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: I want an all around mouthpiece Reply with quote

Isaacbyrdjrmusic wrote:

This one is easy!

Get a Curry 3C. model (it's listed as the Curry "3C" model on the WWBW and Mouthpiece Express websites, but if you order through either of them, it is the current 3C. [dot] model you will receive).

The Curry 3C. is based on a smallish Bach Mt Vernon 3C (meaning it is a bit larger than a modern 3C). It has a more comfortable rim than the modern 3C and I think you'll find it perfect for your needs. Like you, I do not like the typical Bach 3C - but I love the Curry 3C. If I had to choose one and only one mouthpiece to play everything on, I'd likely choose the 3C. myself.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Webcam Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
oliver king
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: I want an all around mouthpiece Reply with quote

Isaacbyrdjrmusic wrote:

Call Phyllis at Stork Custom mouthpieces.
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the Yamaha Shew Jazz piece, if you like your Bach 3C except for how it feels. It is just a Bach 3C with a more round rim, and you can find them cheap.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought. That you have larger lips isn't really a good indicator for mouthpiece preference. Don't assume that you need a bigger ID. Rim shape could be as or more critical than diameter.

I like my smaller vintage Bach 3C rim but I'm also comfortable on Yamaha piece from 14 (similar to the Bach 3C) all the way down to size 11 (Bach 7C). I can't say the same for that range of Bach sizes because the rim shapes are all too different.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
brassjunky
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of suggestions here. Just be aware that the success of a mouthpiece for you may well depend on its match with your trumpet. This is largely influenced by the gap but also back bore. I haven't gone down the road of getting mouthpieces cut for sleeves to adjust the gap, but I have become aware of how different brands of mouthpiece gap differently with my horn, some work well and some don't.

A good way to experiment is to move in small increments away from what already works for you. For example if you like the 16c4 you could try the 16b4, the b means it has a tighter backbore should help with endurance. Or you could try a variation on a 3C, maybe with a softer bite. This way you keep some idea of what is working for or against you in terms of mouthpiece design.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: