• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I want an all around mouthpiece

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Socrates
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite "all around" mouthpiece for the past couple years has been the Patrick RB3B. It's essentially a 3C diameter with more cushion, a small "B" cup and a larger backbore. I have bigger lips and this one is the most comfortable rim I've ever played on. I can (and have) played practically everything to come my way on this piece from orchestra, quintet, lots of musicals, solo stuff, and has got me in the finals of a few auditions. Works well on Bb and C.

Give it a shot!

http://patrickmouthpieces.com/store/#!/RB3B-(formerly-known-as-RB3C)-Rick-Baptist-Signature-Model/p/11687787/category=2605558
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advice to work with a mouthpiece expert has the greatest merit. We're all different.

The best advice I got was from a local shop with a great rep. After listening to what I described, they suggested that I try the Denis Wick line. The 4B for trumpet does right by me.

Likewise, the brief descriptions in the DW catalog/website make sense to me. With so much variety available, hire a guide for your safari!
JeffTheHornGuy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest the Stomvi Flex S14A VR with a VS back bore. Yes, its a little expensive, but its soooo worth it.
Custom Lawler C7
Electronic music producer
ewetho
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awe come on everyone knows a Monette B11 Prana is the only choice.....

OK Just kidding

For most a 3C with the Curry seeming to be a favorite around here. Mohan making the recommendation would be good enough for me. I like the CG3 too with its larger backbore and throat, just a bit small for me.
Schilke 20D2d 22 throat
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the buget is not a matter , Reeves 43S or Purviance 4*3 are the most popular allround pieces among pros allround the world , if is too shalow for you try 43M great crossover piece.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also put in a vote for the Curry 3C because many people recommend it for a reason: It's a good, solid piece that can be versatile when needed. Had I been turned on to Curry back when I played a 3C, I would own one. There's no doubt that the man does fantastic work.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's hard to hit the target on the first shot so the curry 3C will give you a good start. not too much $$. comfortable and plays well. i haven't heard of anyone being bitterly disappointed with one. once you are well settled in you can over a long period of time try this, or that. it's best to shop for equipment when you already have other good equipment the same as not going into a grocery store when you are starving.
the excellent curry 3C can be bested in small ways. as an example i have a FO 3 C-O which plays just a titch better. i am a bit leery of GR simply from the reports of people who bought one, then the second, and sometimes the third and are selling the old ones. what was the purpose of the consultation if it was not definitive? i would keep the expenditure at a certain dollar level, and look at patrick, stork, oakes, &c.
intrepidpooch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: I want an alla round mouthpiece Reply with quote

trptdave wrote:
Spend the time and money and get fitted for a GR. If you are looking for one piece to kind of be a bit of everything, I think this may be you best bet.

This. The Horn Section in Melbourne (two hours south of us in Jax) has a trained GR consultant and full stock of their mouthpieces. My GR 66M (a bigger diameter 3C) is the best trumpet mouthpiece I've ever played and it works in every situation and style of music I play.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
stanton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
Another thought. That you have larger lips isn't really a good indicator for mouthpiece preference. Don't assume that you need a bigger ID. Rim shape could be as or more critical than diameter.

Abso-freakin-lutely!

Rim SHAPE is the most overlooked, yet most important element in a mouthpiece.

I found the Schilke Symphonic M3 mouthpiece to have the right shape, but wasn't quite the sound or blow that I wanted. So I had Kanstul make a custom mp with a M3 rim on top of a Mount Vernon 1.5C underpart with a screw-in backbore. For me, what made all the difference was the immediate response of the rim with the least amount of effort.

Someone suggested being fit with a GR mouthpiece. I would agree. GR has a WIDE variety of rim size, shapes, cups, backbores, but you would need an in-person consultation. Some consultants try to do it over the phone but I would not recommend that- unless you can try several and are able to return the ones you don't want to keep. I used to play GR mouthpieces and think they have something that no one else has. But again, it comes down to YOUR face. And while a Schilke or GR or Curry or Bach may be great for one player there may be something better for another.

Good luck.
Stanton Kramer "Signature" Mouthpiece
Cameron J.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a Yammie 16B4 or 16C4 if you are looking for a slightly bigger mouthpiece with wider tone which is what the 16's will give you. Even get it in the GP which has just a tad of a richer tone and a little more power in the upper register (well for me anyway). However best thing is to go to a mouthpiece store and try out as many as you can. Even maybe order a few through Mouthpiece Express on a trial basis and the ones you don't like you can send back. I bought a Denis Wick American Classic 3C end of last year. Only used it for a couple of months then went to a standard 14B4 as the DW gave off too dark of a sound (being gold plated). Now its just sitting in the desk draw doing nothing. I now look back on it and think what a stupid idea of buying it.
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giakara wrote:
If the budget is not a matter , Reeves 43S or Purviance 4*3 are the most popular all around pieces among pros all around the world , if is too shallow for you try 43M great crossover piece.

Regards

There's the Reeves 9A / Purviance 5*3 - it's a 4*3 with a slightly deeper cup.

Near as I can tell these are just like the 3C. - only with magic pixie dust embedded in them.

Gary.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schilkes22 wrote:
I agree with Zaferis. I use a Curry 3B for church, and a 3M for Big band stuff. The 3M has a nice sound for lead or 2nd part. Both rims feel exactly the same, so switching back and forth is not an issue. They feel a little bigger than the Bach 3C that I switched from. If I played any small group jazz, I think the 3B would get first nod.

All this being said, I am by no means an expert, just my 2 cents.

I'll add my 2 cents to that. Also, the late great Bill Adam played a Purviance / Reeves 9 and 9A. It being easy to switch between the 2, with one for tone and the other for range. Any mouthpiece is a compromise, and I don't think you'll get your best tone on the mouthpiece that gives you your best range, and vice versa.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghelbig wrote:
giakara wrote:
If the budget is not a matter , Reeves 43S or Purviance 4*3 are the most popular all around pieces among pros all around the world , if is too shallow for you try 43M great crossover piece.

Regards

There's the Reeves 9A / Purviance 5*3 - it's a 4*3 with a slightly deeper cup.

Near as I can tell these are just like the 3C. - only with magic pixie dust embedded in them.

Gary.

Yws but the 9A has much bigger throat and this is vot help in those situa sions .

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Jenny Lee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jump adding my 2 cents to reinforce the what some others have been saying, which is no one can really recommend a particular mouthpiece to a player, since there are just too many factors that will affect its performance for them.

An individual's mouth anatomy, embouchure development and playing style all affect which mouthpiece will work for them.

If you want to read more about choosing a mouthpiece and how the size and shape of different parts of a mouthpiece contribute to certain characteristics of playability, I'd suggest checking out this blog article on the topic:

https://musicalinstrumentguide.com/trumpet-mouthpiece-sizes-shapes/
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUPER OLD THREAD, and even though the OP won’t see this, maybe someone else will with the same question.

I’ve owned and tried over 100 mouthpieces, and there’s only one that I really
haven’t been able to find any downsides with. The AR Resonance MLC in Bronze. It does EVERYTHING. And it does everything WELL. I’ve even played lead on it. This being said, the MLC rim and cup fit me wonderfully, but might not fit you.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: I want an all around mouthpiece Reply with quote

Isaacbyrdjrmusic wrote:
I play jazz and I want a mouthpiece that is good for tone and range. I have a 3C and the 16C4 I have larger lips so the 3C isn't the most comfortable. Any tips

There are many, but here are my favorite three:

Monette B4S s2 in the resonance, non-prana model.

Schilke 15B, which is a direct copy of a really good Bach 1 1/2C. I cannot recall all the details tonight, but I have played several 15Bs and liked them all.

Hammond 5MB. Slightly more open backbore works well in every setting I've tried them. If I didn't already have a terrific mouthpiece, Hammond would be on my short list (I do have several in different sizes, and they are outstanding).

If I can offer more, please let me know.

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
PMonteiro
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a bit of a safari I've settled on the Bach 5C. Similar enough to the OP's 3C but the rounded rim has the potential to be more comfortable. It's deep enough to sound "symphonic" but small enough to sizzle when pushed. I personally also like the 3C as an all-around piece, but it's a tad too bright in symphonic work for my liking.

I too have large-ish lips, and I've really enjoyed the 1 1/2B. Problem is it's too dark to be considered "all-around" IMO. I've also tried the 1 1/2C, but it tires me out and is still too bright to my ears. Downsizing to the 5C was a long process but it was worth it. At the end of the day 1 1/2, 3, and 5 rims aren't radically different in terms of inner diameter.
HackAmateur

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: I want an all around mouthpiece Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:
Isaacbyrdjrmusic wrote:
I play jazz and I want a mouthpiece that is good for tone and range. I have a 3C and the 16C4 I have larger lips so the 3C isn't the most comfortable. Any tips

There are many, but here are my favorite three:

Monette B4S s2 in the resonance, non-prana model.

Schilke 15B, which is a direct copy of a really good Bach 1 1/2C. I cannot recall all the details tonight, but I have played several 15Bs and liked them all.

Hammond 5MB. Slightly more open backbore works well in every setting I've tried them. If I didn't already have a terrific mouthpiece, Hammond would be on my short list (I do have several in different sizes, and they are outstanding).

If I can offer more, please let me know.

AL

I guess since one of our necromancers summoned this thread from the dead, I'll comment on this.

The regular Schilke 15 (no letter) is, for me, a great all-around mouthpiece. I agree with Al the middle-of-the-road Schilkes like the 15 or the 15B are great all-around mouthpieces.

The reason I love the Schilke 15 (no letter) so much is because it FEELS comfortable (has the "free-blowing" feeling to me, so the mouthpiece isn't "resisting" my airflow) and the rim is amazingly comfy. PLUS, the Schilke 15's rim is like a Bach 1.5 in size, but the cup depth is medium-deep instead of deep. This means a player won't have an unusually dark timbre because the cup of the Schilke 15 is decently deep, but it isn't a freaking bathtub for orchestra-only stuff.

-Bach Strad 180 series 37
-Schilke 15
-Bob Reeves s692s w/ custom rim
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oliver, I disagree with Chieden on this. I have larger more meaty lips too and a Bach 3c has never been comfortable to me it's to shallow. I suggest the AR 40 MC which has a little bigger throat and backbore which I love because it seems just deeper than a 3c.
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: I want an all around mouthpiece Reply with quote

Isaacbyrdjrmusic wrote:

Check out a Bach 3CW. The 'W' stands for wide. I have one but it's too wide for me. Might be okay for you.

Also, Curry 3C might do. It's my main piece even though I cycle through others occasionally.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: