• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Having trouble with ALS #3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomLAdams

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Having trouble with ALS #3 Reply with quote

OK. I haven't posted in a while, but I regularly read the forum to glean information. As a matter of fact, I didn't realize it, but its been about 2 years. I actually began BE with a direct embouchure change to a more rolled in set against advise here to the contrary. And it may have slowed down my progress, but I have to say I'm happy with the tone I'm getting and the ease of playing that has come with the change. Low notes are speaking very well now and my usable range is back up to about a high C, but I'm not obsessed with high notes so that's adequate. I AM obsessed with ease of playing and good tone production. I want playing to feel great and be fun. And for the most part, that's happening for me with great consistency, thanks to my discovery of BE.

What isn't happening is ALS #3 & 5. I can play them, but it pretty much destroys my practice, so I have to do them at the end. I can play ALS #4,6, & even 8 with no problems and they feel great, but not 3 & 5. And I haven't even tried #7.

The other problem is I have no endurance, at least not what I expect. I can play solo's and duets at church occasionally, but endurance is definitely an issue.

I know I'll be chastised for this, but the other thing is, I really don't do RI and RO, but I do everything else. Jeff originally said I might should stick with the slurs and other exercises for a while, since I was doing a direct change and that was obviously good advise, but both RI & RO were uncomfortable, so I've never really started doing them. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I'm stuck at this point. It's a GOOD point, but I'd like to keep progressing.
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I really don't do RI and RO

Tom, this sounds at odds with your previous statement that you made a direct change to a more rolled in setup. The standard way of making a direct change is through doing the RI exercises. What was your approach?

In general, success on the BE path is predicated by doing the exercises correctly. If you do the exercises in a different way, or skip certain ones, the path is no longer defined, and it becomes much harder to offer advice because of the unknown variables.

On your ALS issues, I can only offer a guess. On 2, 4, 6, etc. you start on lower notes, and likely have a different jaw position than you do on 3, 5, and 7. To keep the same jaw position on 3 and 5, you might try momentarily starting on a lower note, slurring up to the regular starting pitch, and going from there.

Jeff
TomLAdams

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, you're right. As I re-read my own post, I came to the same conclusion. I have already changed my practice to include all the elements of BE, so I look forward to that making a difference. Of course, patience is not one of my virtues, so I'll be working on that as well. Thanks for your response.

In answer to your question as to my approach. I read the book, decided I needed to be more rolled in, and after tinkering with it a little, started having some fairly quick success, which is what us impatient types look for. But, as I said, that shortsighted approach probably limited my progress in the long run.

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: