• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Messina Covers Gig Bags?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
S Koons
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Messina Covers Gig Bags? Reply with quote

Does anybody have experience with these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LIFETIME-WARRANTY-Triple-Trumpet-Gig-Bag-Case-Messina-Covers-Reunion-Black-/121460505961?

There are double and triple bags at moderate cost, but I've never seen one or heard of the company. They've had lots of listings lately on eBay, but their own website only shows string bass bags.

SJK
trumpetguy27
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup... Love mine!

I've had my triple that they made me about a year ago with a custom Baltimore Ravens color scheme. PLENTY of room for everything and so far holding up really well. They're great to work with and their prices are great!

They definitely get my vote!
S Koons
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to hear (though I have no interest in the Ravens theme). I might give them a try.

-SK
reedman1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetguy27, are you still using your Messina Covers gig bag? How do you like it after a year or more? What do you put in it, and what kind of stresses do yo put it through - airline, subway, bus, car...? I'm looking at gig bags, and I'd like to find one that stands up well to life's challenges.
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of these a few years ago, and there is a lot to like about it. It holds 3 full size trumpets and is very lightweight. Even with 3 instruments and stuff it doesn't hurt your shoulder! Plus it's made in the USA and is reasonably priced.

As far as standing up to life's challenges I would be careful. It offers the expected protection of a lightweight gig bag and no more. I use an ipac triple when I fly, and my every day case is a Monette double which offers a lot of protection. I use the Messina when I need it for its convenience but I am very careful.

JU
reedman1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Johntpt. I normally keep my horns in a ProTec double case, which is very good; but I'll be in the city for a week, moving around a fair bit, and I will have to carry mutes and other trumpet stuff as well as two horns. I'd like to put everything in one case, for convenience's sake. I'm not sure I'm ready to commit to something like, say, a ProTec triple with wheels, since that's large and heavy and unwieldy. Other bags I'm considering are the ProTec C248 triple gig bag, and the Reunion Blues Continental triple. Anybody have any other thoughts on the subject?
trmptz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Messina Covers Gig Bags? Reply with quote

S Koons wrote:
Does anybody have experience with these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LIFETIME-WARRANTY-Triple-Trumpet-Gig-Bag-Case-Messina-Covers-Reunion-Black-/121460505961?

There are double and triple bags at moderate cost, but I've never seen one or heard of the company. They've had lots of listings lately on eBay, but their own website only shows string bass bags.

SJK

No but if that's what your looking for I would suggest a Reunion Blues Continental case. I've had mine for a couple years now and love it. I think it's one of the most well protected "gig cases" that I've had and I've had a number of them over the years.
reedman1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trmptz, what do you put in your Reunion Blues bag, and what kind of stresses does it go through?
trmptz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reedman1 wrote:
Trmptz, what do you put in your Reunion Blues bag, and what kind of stresses does it go through?

Flugel, trumpet, all mutes, trumpet stand, mute holder, kitchen sink(LOL) etc..
All I know is that it has some of the thickest "ballistic type" nylon outershell of any case I've dealt with. Just as you well know, gig bags have their negatives but this one for me had more positives than others if that makes sense??
reedman1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful, trmptz, thank you.
reedman1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bother you again, trmptz, but what kind of handling stresses does your RB bag go through? Car, train, bus, plane, being tossed, crowds, bumps, falling downstairs...?
trmptz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reedman1 wrote:
Sorry to bother you again, trmptz, but what kind of handling stresses does your RB bag go through? Car, train, bus, plane, being tossed, crowds, bumps, falling downstairs...?

Cars mainly but plenty of bumps and being tossed a little. I don't believe there is ANY "gig case" that will keep everything safe down falling stairs though.
reedman1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not, but Reunion Blues proudly hosts a story about throwing a tenor sax off a roof in one of their bags, with no damage to the sax. Kind of apocryphal. In any case (pun not intended) I don't intend to throw the bag off a roof, or drive over it, or shoot it, but I could get bumped or have subway doors close on it. So that's why I'm asking so many questions. Thank you for responding so generously.
trmptz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reedman1 wrote:
Probably not, but Reunion Blues proudly hosts a story about throwing a tenor sax off a roof in one of their bags, with no damage to the sax. Kind of apocryphal. In any case (pun not intended) I don't intend to throw the bag off a roof, or drive over it, or shoot it, but I could get bumped or have subway doors close on it. So that's why I'm asking so many questions. Thank you for responding so generously.

There is one in the Marketplace right now.
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reedman1 wrote:

I think the video you're thinking of is actually a guitar - which is significantly less umm delicate than a trumpet or a saxophone.

Link

They are quite protective cases though. There is this demo of the trumpet case though...

Link

reedman1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the videos, bagmangood. You're right about the roof-toss-test being a guitar - a solid-body electric guitar, at that. But both show pretty good performance from a gig bag. I would have liked to see Trent bounce the trumpet bag off the wall - then I'd feel that the bag was really protective. But not bad as is. And thank you again - your post was very helpful.
DickieG64
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three Messina covers, 2 for tpt/Fl and one for pic. I love them. I also play in a band with a bass player that has one. He loves it too.

Dick G
Kanstul -Charlie Davis pic prototype never produced
Conn 80A Cornet

Taylor Flugle Horn
Kanstul-Charlie Davis Prototype Piccolo-never produced
1946 Conn 80A cornet
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW here is Messina's website with ordering info, although no prices are given.

JU

http://www.messinacovers.net/trumpet
reedman1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DickieG64 wrote:
I have three Messina covers, 2 for tpt/Fl and one for pic. I love them. I also play in a band with a bass player that has one. He loves it too.

Dick G

How roughly do your Messina Covers bags get handled when you have instruments in them? Bang against door frames, bounce around in trunk of car, fall off chair, get bumped into, have other people's cases put on top of them...?
aftpt1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 Messina bags and they are fantastic, very protective, and he will customize cases to whatever you need (more padding, etc). That said, they are NOT hard cases, if you intend to check as baggage or be on the bottom of a pile, get a hard case! For any other use, they are fantastic, easily the best gig bags I've ever owned or seen, they folks there are great to work with too!
Hope this helps!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: