• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

King 2001 trumpet (the 2000-series)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcgyver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: king 2001 Reply with quote

Maybe a little late:

@ Shebulba:

All King 2000 series trumpets (from the 2000 upto the 2007) are KMI (King Musical Instruments) horns (post H. N. White and pre UMI).

They were made from (no earlier than) 1979 (edit: or even 1978) till about (no later than) 1983 (the end of KMI).

They were all top of the line instruments from King at that moment. They were supposed to be the replacements of the SilverFlairs.

I can't compare them to a Bach Stradivarius, as I never played a Stradivarius, but I love mine very much.

Mine doesn't read AT either, but if you examine the first pic of gstump closer, you will see an A with right beneath it a T at the end of the 2000. First time a saw this; i almost started believing that the AT was only in the imagination of the players.

Maybe the end of KMI was a little turbulent and they did not take care of the details as much. In my opinion however, the qualityof their horns did not suffer until later.

stedman wrote:
I've tried other horns, including an old Martin Committee and a 1984 Bach Strad, but I keep coming back to my King. Just feels right.

High five bro, I hear ye!!

Last edited by mcgyver on Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The King 2000 Series trumpets became available to King dealers in October 1980. I remember well, because I was a King dealer back then. There can be no 2000 trumpets from the seventies, because they didn't exist prior to 1980.

The 2000 Series trumpets were top pro trumpets with one-piece Accousti-Tempered bells (like the Benge Resno-Tempered process) and they replaced the all the previous King pro trumpets in their product line. The King Super-20 Symphony and King Silver Flair models were discontinued with the introduction of the 2000 Series.

I still own and play a beautiful King Model 2003 pro model cornet.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
mcgyver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry,

Late again.

I do not want to pick a fight plankowner, but could'nt it be that your shop got the trumpets a bit later?

I have seen King 2000's, 2001's and 2007's that could be traced back to 1978 according to the serial number list from Horn-U-Copia and Conn-King-Selmer (749xxx, 769xxx and 777xxx). The only way this could be explained is that you do not recollect this acurately anymore, your shop did not get the info from KMI early enough, or the production of KMI horns increased dramatically at the end of their corporate life. Can't think of another reason.

By th way: none of them had the AT written on them. Could it be the AT is ingraved only on the later ones.
stedman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:09 am    Post subject: king 2001 Reply with quote

my parents got me a king 2001 in the early 80's. since then I bought a bach 37 w/ 43 leadpipe and a Yamaha 6xxx. the bach and Yamaha are gone and I still play the king in big band every week and I also used it for Jesus Christ superstar and Chicago the musical.
it is the only horn i've ever felt completely comfortable with (I am playing with a new adams prologue, but the king holds my mutes better).
the pics you posted look exactly like my king 2001. it is bright and I can put tone of air through it.
King Liberty (1944)
Holton Model 45
ACB Brasspire flugelhorn
Getzen Eterna piccolo
GodSong

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2001 AT is a 468 big bore animal. Slots like a lazer and loud as ****. Better then my 1055T
mrc7890

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree! Although the one I just luckily got doesn't seem to have AT on it.
850000's serial. 1980 right?

GodSong wrote:
My 2001 AT is a 468 big bore animal. Slots like a lazer and loud as ****. Better then my 1055T
GodSong

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrc7890 wrote:

GodSong wrote:

The AT is sometimes stamped lightly. You can barely see mine but its there. What a great horn.
mrc7890

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly where would the AT be engraved? I only see "King 2001' on the bell and 468 bore, of course besides serial number and valve numbers 1 and 3, AND i just found a light 'CC' underneath the third valve slide.

Also, has anyone found any more info and historical records of these 1980 Kings before the company was sold? I've read the several posts here on this forum and that seems to be about it, and a few old ebay for sale pictures of 2001's.

GodSong wrote:
mrc7890 wrote:

GodSong wrote:

The AT is sometimes stamped lightly. You can barely see mine but its there. What a great horn.
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrc7890 wrote:
Exactly where would the AT be engraved? I only see "King 2001' on the bell and 468 bore, of course besides serial number and valve numbers 1 and 3, AND i just found a light 'CC' underneath the third valve slide.
]

The initial King 2000 Series trumpets did not have the "AT" stamped on the Acousti-Tempered one-piece bells. That was added later. (Remember Benge Resno-Tempered"?)

The initial horns had the stamped logo with the crown over the name "KING" with the model designation 2000, 2001, etc to the right of the logo. A couple of years later, the company changed the logo on all its products to a somewhat oval "KING" without the crown over it, and these had the AT stamped to the right of the model designation.

Another change that King made to the 2000 Series line was in the weight. The initial trumpets were medium-light weight horns as they followed the very popular 1055T Silver Flair, but King soon added weight to the trumpets by using thicker, heavier gauge outer slide tubing on the tuning slide and all valve slides. You can see the differences upon close examination, and I would suspect this was done in response to the rising popularity of the Bach Strad.

The light "CC" you see on the 3rd slide bottom tube should be poorly stamped last digits of the serial number. This was done so those fitted slides could be accurately re-matched to the body during the manufacturing process.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: