• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Harrelson heavy finger buttons - opinions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Harrelson heavy finger buttons - opinions Reply with quote

Does anyone have any opinions on the effect of the Harrelson heavyweight finger buttons? http://www.harrelsontrumpets.com/product_p/swefb.htm My main horn, a Yamaha 6310B is nice and lightweight and I could imagine putting a little extra weight on it on the top side.. I have tried heavy bottom caps before but they don't do much for me.. I feel like the extra weighty 'feel' of the top finger buttons would be a nice thing for my playing and I wonder if anyone else has had experience with these. I do mainly jazz and lead playing. All the best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
ottoa57

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Harrelson trim kit Reply with quote

IMHO the finger buttons are not enough to get the effect of more efficiency. I do not know which bottom caps you tried...but the Harrelson bottom caps have more dense..more mass and create more efficiency than any other brands IMHO.

I would suggest a full trim kit. get 3/4" for the most effect.

I have several sets...I've made recordings with and w/o and the recordings bare it out.

PM me we'll talk on the phone... Otto
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used heave top (and bottom) caps on My Bach 37 for a while. I loved the feel of the recessed tops/finger buttons. Probably in my head, but it FELT like I was able to move my fingers faster and more accurately.

I honestly didn't notice much of a change to the horn otherwise, but I'm planning to get heavy/recessed top caps/finger buttons for my current horn because I liked the feel so much.
1948 Holton Model 48
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like the feel/look, cool. But IMO, adding mass to a horn that was not designed with weight in those areas might have an effect on how it plays that you don't want.
Other than the cost of the parts, it is pretty harmless though, and obviously easily reversible.

Brad
hilgenboogie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lex,
Call me if you want to talk. I got them last summer after a visit to Jason's shop in Denver (I was there on a gig.) They immediately made a huge difference with my Olds Recording. All the slots felt a little closer together and easier to trill things like top space G to first ledger A (Clarke #4) and even high C to D. Everything slotted better, and they don't take away any range or power like the heavy caps I had 15 years ago on my Bach 72 did.

Jason also gave me a gap shim for my receiver (free of charge, really nice guy) that also changed the horn for the better.

Jason gave me a mini lecture on nodes and anti nodes and how adding mass to the valve cluster can really help reduce the vibration of the anti nodes. It was all very technical and scientific and way too involved for me to remember any of it.

I really like these caps, and I wouldn't be saying that if they didn't make a big difference. I wouldn't put things on my horn that looked that weird unless they really worked!
Matt
superviking805
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a set with stone inlays purely for cosmetic reasons, I love the way the horn looks with them on. When I first installed the buttons I tried to be very sensitive to any change in the way my WT played but noticed NO apparent difference.
About a year later I found the stock lightweight buttons in the case and, on a whim, put them back on. I was surprised the stock buttons immediately felt faster. In repeated back to back tests I find the heavy buttons feel ever so slightly slower.
What does this mean to me, faster or good looking?
I don't even notice as I am too busy looking good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: