• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Psychology

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Psychology Reply with quote

Hey all,

Does anybody know if there are any writings or research on Carmine Caruso's psychological approach to making music?

Thanks,
Louie
Associate Professor of Music
Hastings College
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CC didn't teach music. He taught mechanics... what he referred to as "pre music."

He was always, always positive... never negative.

Also, I believe, psychologically speaking, the essence of his approach to teaching the student how to produce all the necessary sounds, articulations and dynamics on the trumpet (in order to make music) was the way he designed exercises that would make it virtually impossible for the student to ever think about what he is doing with his lips, air, tongue, corners, diaphragm, horn angle, etc.
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think so. Great thesis subject,no? The neuroscience of music is fascinating and quite frankly, the experts still do not really know what the hell is going on.
- For one, we seem to be wired up with a pentatonic scale.
- Why is a high tessiturra more exciting than soft low passages.
- Why is minor sad?
-Why is the last concert F in the US National Anthem more "important" than the concert F in the bridge.
-and so on..............

But to bring this back home, I agree with TrpPro. Besides getting all worked up about equipment and bolt on accessories for the trumpet, many trumpet players get obsessed with the analytics.

Mr. Caruso saw many walking wounded pro players come to him from the many road bands all messed up. He once told me about all the different ways these players would manipulate the lips to play. When there are thousands of people in the audience and you are the featured act you will play the note whatever way you can. Twist, push, over pivot, roll in, roll out, roll over, play dead, slide side to side, what ever!

Caruso's method removes all the "thinking" of our over engineered trumpet players. It also attempts to limit the manipulation of the lips and organize whatever one does to change pitches.

Best of luck. I think you are on to something!

Gordon Stump

ps. Schossberg used psychology in the way he approached the higher notes in his studies. He often put them not on a downbeat so as to remove the "importance" of the note. That is the way I write my stuff.
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The neuroscience of music is fascinating and quite frankly, the experts still do not really know what the hell is going on.
- For one, we seem to be wired up with a pentatonic scale.
- Why is a high tessiturra more exciting than soft low passages.
- Why is minor sad?
-Why is the last concert F in the US National Anthem more "important" than the concert F in the bridge.
-and so on..............

Well, there's a lot of musicology research and we have answers to some of those questions.
The reason it's often a quagmire is that it's different in different cultures. There's not a 'universal' response to music.

The easy answer is really that we are exposed very frequently to our culture's music everyday, and we have learned the idioms and tendencies and the implications etc.
It's like if you overhear a conversation in another language you can often get a feel for the 'vibe' of the conversation, if not the meaning, by the cadence of the speech. A lot of that inflection gets transferred into our music making or music listening. But mostly it's just we've learned he conventions.

Anyway... Still an interesting question...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: