• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lip clamp till it burns

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndrewS
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Lip clamp till it burns Reply with quote

Just wanted to check with the fellow BE'ers.
I never actually put a great emphasis on this exercise (considering it somehow a non-mandatory).
I noticed that during periods of not doing it I have issues with range and endurance.
Also when I do do it, my range gets better, so does endurance but I am running a risk of getting a stiff lip.
This exercise also reminds me of the pencil exercise, so I wonder if they are related?
Also if I do it only once per day, I don't notice much effect on my playing. I do see some difference starting from 3 and more attempts per day.
So, in most of our discussions we concur that the most important staples of BE are: RI, RO and TOTL. But CLTIB (clamp lips till it burns, for the lack of a better acronym) seems more elusive or undervalued. There were quite a bit of discussion on LCS (lip clamp squeak), but I'd separate those two, since they seem like two different exercises.
How often do you guys use it?
Can you skip it for a long time without any issues?

Andrew
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing by the lack of response here that few players use it.

I use it mainly to help students feel the muscles moving forward and inward. After a few weeks, they typically get the idea, and discontinue the exercise.

However, for those who find value in continuing it, then stay the course. Older players may benefit more. For example, if you have an ingrained habit of stretching the lips away from the mouthpiece to ascend, the clamp can help you reinforce a more forward feeling.

Jeff
AndrewS
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the answer, Jeff!
Also lately I started to combine this exercise with the "pencil exercise" and here is my thoughts.
Like you say in the book, we do need those muscle right in the center of our embouchure to make things happen. Just like an athlete does weight training along with some high precision exercise, the trumpet player needs some kind of weight lifting.
Also if my theory is correct, pencil exercise could be beneficial for people with PTL. When we press against something with a part of our body, we develop some sort of indentation in this place. Even though our muscles are elastic enough to take the original shape, some indentation still remains. So for guys with PTL like me, the lip protrusion could be hopefully leveled out a bit (since the pencil presses right at the protrusion).
This is just my theory, but it works for the last couple of weeks, as when I play, I feel less resistance to blow and it feels like overall my lips do less work than before.
aicortez

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing!
Bert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started BE a long time ago, I did the Lip Clamp dutifully every day. I really felt the muscle beneath my lower lip grow and get stronger. I did it at least for a year or so. Now I use it as an isometric exercise when I am away from the horn for a longer time, and I do it two or three times a day.

I don't think it is meant that way, though. Like all the exercises in the book, this exercise is to get the lips to move in more or less the right direction. I think this is the most important message in the whole book. If you understand that you are doing just that, I guess you cannot go wrong.
AndrewS
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bert. Yes, I was talking about taking this exercise a little beyond just moving in the right direction, but some accelerator of muscle training.
I just felt like to play high for a long time there has to be something (away from horn) to build the muscles.
During my experience with the book, I made a number of direct changes to accelerate the "move in more or less the right direction".
I guess this book also empowers you to feel what direct change you need to make to progress when the kernels are ready to pop.
chedges

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting!
trumpetlogic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does doing the Lip Clamp more than once per day slow development, or would I develop the strength in my lower lip faster if I did it a few times per day?
dbanks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Lip clamp till it burns Reply with quote

AndrewS wrote:
Just wanted to check with the fellow BE'ers.
I never actually put a great emphasis on this exercise (considering it somehow a non-mandatory).
I noticed that during periods of not doing it I have issues with range and endurance.
Also when I do do it, my range gets better, so does endurance but I am running a risk of getting a stiff lip.
This exercise also reminds me of the pencil exercise, so I wonder if they are related?
Also if I do it only once per day, I don't notice much effect on my playing. I do see some difference starting from 3 and more attempts per day.
So, in most of our discussions we concur that the most important staples of BE are: RI, RO and TOTL. But CLTIB (clamp lips till it burns, for the lack of a better acronym) seems more elusive or undervalued. There were quite a bit of discussion on LCS (lip clamp squeak), but I'd separate those two, since they seem like two different exercises.
How often do you guys use it?
Can you skip it for a long time without any issues?

Andrew

Forgive my ignorance but what are BE (better endurance?) RI, RO and TOTL?
trumpetlogic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balanced Embouchure
Roll In
Roll Out
Tongue on the Lips
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: