• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Facet mute vs Warburton woody

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pablopiccasso
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Facet mute vs Warburton woody Reply with quote

Ok. Wooden facet mute vs Warburton woody mute. Anyone played both side by side?
ALaschiver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Facet Reply with quote

I haven't played them side by side, however, the facets I own are really excellent. The character of sound is perfect for what I do....The workmanship
is superb.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two Warburton Woody straight mutes -- maple and hickory. I also have a Facet "Chicago Jazz Philharmonic" straight mute (walnut/padauk).

The different woods really do lead to slightly different sounds, so I can't say that one has a "better" sound than the other. The sound from the Facet mute seems more focused than either of the Warburton mutes though that may be an attribute of the specific wood rather than the design of the mute itself.

Intonation is fine on all three mutes, and the sound holds together well soft or loud. I find that on my Bb trumpets (37 and 72-type bells) low G and F# do not slot well on the Warburtons. They do slot fine on the Facet mute. On my C trumpets (229 and 239-type bells) the slotting is improved on the Warburton mutes and still fine on the Facet mute.

Both the Warburton and Facet mutes are well constructed, and I get the sense that they would survive a fall from the bell -- though I do not intend to test this hypothesis....

As an aside, Warburton has excellent customer service. They accidentally sent me the wrong mute. When I notified them of that they apologized and quickly sent me the proper mute.

If you are in the market for a wooden mute, you might also consider a tunable Woodstop mute.
KMT
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:

Both the Warburton and Facet mutes are well constructed, and I get the sense that they would survive a fall from the bell -- though I do not intend to test this hypothesis....

My Facet survived falling from a bell and then tumbling down a flight of concrete stairs.
trumpet_cop
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digging up an old thread, sorry.

Dayton: I see Warburton makes their woody straight for Bb and C now. Did you have a specific one for your C trumpet? Also, I can't seem to find an actual website or even a facebook page for Facet Mutes anymore. Are they not being made any longer?

Guess Warburton, Clary, or Balu will be on my list to try for wooden mutes.
Good Ol' Boy ID#3624360
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dayton: I see Warburton makes their woody straight for Bb and C now. Did you have a specific one for your C trumpet?

No, I used the Bb mute and it worked fine once I got the corks sanded just right (which was tricky with the Woody mutes). Those mutes offer a lot of sound options beyond what you get from a metal mute, and still blend in a section.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: