• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Charles Davis LA West Coast Review?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nwtrumpet24

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Charles Davis LA West Coast Review? Reply with quote

Hey all,
I am new to trumpetherald, and I need your help.

Have any of you played on a Charles Davis LA West Coast Bb horn?

Love it? Hate it?
Give me your thoughts.

My Bach Strad's tuning slide rotted out from dents and corrosion, so I am looking to trade it in and buy a new horn.

I found a Davis horn close by, but can't find much online about those horns.

Thanks for the help!
C.E.Divine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new tuning slide is cheaper than a new horn. Have you had your current trumpet checked out by a good tech? Do you like your Strad? Just because it is in poor health doesn't mean throw it away if you like it.

Bach LR19043B B-flat
Blackburn converted Bach C
Kanstul CC920 Piccolo
Blessing XL Flugelhorn
J.W. York and Sons Perfec-Tone B-flat/A Cornet
Matthew Anklan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not played one, but heard from VERY reliable sources that it's a good horn. Try it out, if you can, and let us know what you think.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Charley Davis horns Reply with quote

As I built the prototype I can speak with some authority on Charley's horns. Our goal was to build the first horn which would be an exact duplicate of the widely used trumpets made in Hollywood and used by many great studio players. We had a 30 year old horn in perfect condition (which both of us felt was perhaps the best playing example either of us had ever played) for measurements plus new and re-produced parts that were copied from the originals. Both of us felt the "new" horn was an improvement on the original mainly due to the tolerances held in slides and valves. The prototype was then produced in small numbers by Kanstul under Charleys supervision and is now being sold by Washington Music Center (301.946.8808). Later Charley made the decision to re-create the sound of the early NYC Bach which is the horn I believe you're referring to. Charley and I displayed both our trumpets (Scodwell USA) at last years ITG in the Washington Music Center room along with Schagerl and Will Spencer's trumpets. Both models that are being produced by Charley are well worth your time to try and WMC will send both of our horns out on a seven day trial period at no obligation.
Tony Scodwell
Scodwell USA Trumpets and Flugelhorns available in the US only at Washington Music Center, call Lee Walkowich at 301.946.8808 and in Sydney, Australia at Sax and Woodwind… and Brass and in Freiburg, Germany at Musik-Bertram.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing info there Mr Scodwell! Thank you for your continued contributions to our craft ... (I think I feel myself coming down with N +1 disease
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi tony

i played that prototype and it was indeed a great horn!

it has been coined the Charleycchio

great work
ron
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
JohnSnell
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charley's horns are definitely worth trying out. They have the feel of a great vintage Calicchio but with a more versatile sound.

Each of Charley's trumpets come with a Bob Reeves valve alignment so I've had the opportunity to play about a dozen of them. They have all been outstanding.
Facebook
Twitter
The Other Side of the Bell - A Trumpet Podcast
Mike W

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Scodwell Horns Reply with quote

I had a friend of mine in Las Vegas tell me once that he wouldn't let me play his Scodwell Bb. He said if I did, I would want to keep it. Lol...To this day I have not been able to get close to that trumpet.
joejudge

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Charles Davis LA West Coast Review Reply with quote

I recently bought a 1s7 in lacquer. My trip in February (2015) to Chuck Levin's store in Washington was a really good day.

I went to the store having done some research. I was confident I was going to buy either a Yamaha or a Shires. Instead, I got one of the Charles Davis trumpets. As I was busy comparing trumpets, the sales guy, Lee Walkowich, said that the store had a unique selection of really fine trumpets. I think he was gently hinting that I owed it to myself to try a few. "Yeah, okay, sure," I probably mumbled. He was right - it's always good to try as many as you can.

Later on, in the middle of a snow squall, Doc Severinsen showed up. He played a little when he arrived and just before he left. But otherwise he spent two hours answering questions and telling stories. His story about meeting Herbert Clarke hilarious. He was really happy to be there, hanging out with a room full of trumpeters. Doc thanked Lee the sales guy for having talked him into going up to Massachusetts to check out the new Shires company where he helped design his new Destino trumpet. I assume that's why he consented to have the clinic at that store.

Also: a bonus in visiting this store and taking my time was the inexpensive but really good Mexican food in the little restaurants nearby. It helped make it an even more fun visit to buy a trumpet.

Testing and choosing the trumpet: I had some sheet music with a few simple classical tunes. I picked a tune and played it on each trumpet, trying to hear the difference. I even used my cellphone to make recordings to listen to. I think Lee found this amusing, but it did help me hear things I couldn't hear as I was playing. I tried Yamaha, Shires, a few others, and a Charles Davis West Coast. The one that played the best for me was the Charles Davis.

It was a fun trip to the music store. Now that I have a good trumpet, it's more fun to practice. Any amateur trumpeter going to that store to try trumpets should check out this horn and the other quality trumpets they have. I think it's better than trying out trumpets at ITG, where you can hardly hear yourself and where too many trumpeters better than you are standing only feet away. It's a big decision; it's best to take your time in an environment where you're relaxed.

Also: if you do like the Davis trumpet, try both of them, the 1s2 and the 1s7, just to be sure you get the one that is most comfortable, both below the staff and above.

Last edited by joejudge on Fri May 26, 2017 1:53 am; edited 8 times in total
DickieG64
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the Charley Davis horns at the Tony Scodwell booth at last year's ITG. Davis's horns were very good, but I ended up buying another Scodwell. It is my third one. The other two I let friends play. They bugged me until I sold one to one of the guys. I was sorry I did that. I don't let anyone play this one. I tell them to come and visit me in Columbus in May and try them at the ITG. You can't go wrong with either.

DG
Kanstul -Charlie Davis pic prototype never produced
Conn 80A Cornet

Taylor Flugle Horn
Kanstul-Charlie Davis Prototype Piccolo-never produced
1946 Conn 80A cornet
Def Trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Charles Davis LA West Coast Review Reply with quote

If you can post a video or a soundclip, it would be greatly appreciated!
ACB 3CS

Last edited by Def Trumpet on Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
joejudge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: video or soundclip Reply with quote

If you wanted a video of Doc Severinsen, I can't help with that. But I'd pay cash money to get a transcript of all the stories he told, especially the one where he met Herbert Clarke.

If you were looking for a soundclip of me playing my new Charles Davis West Coast trumpet, I doubt it would help you. To be honest, I would worry that it might damage sales of the trumpet at WMC. The sound we get comes from three things: the player, the mouthpiece, and the trumpet. My third of that equation is not the best.

Last edited by joejudge on Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really interested in hearing more about the CD horns. Is the production model the Calicchio inspired horn or the NY Bach inspired horn or are both available? Any other reviews of people that have played them would be helpful too!

Thanks
Andrew Fowler
joejudge

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: East Coast horn Reply with quote

I believe the West Coast (C-inspired) is available and the East Coast (B-inspired) is soon to be available. My guess is that the East Coast horn, production or prototype, will be brought out at ITG in May.
Def Trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No longer listed on Chuck Levins website? Anybody know if these are going to show up for sale elsewhere?
ACB 3CS
JohnSnell
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck Levin's is still carrying them. It looks like they are updating their website so some inventory is not up yet on the new site.

Here's a link I found that explains this: http://www.chucklevins.com/charles-davis/
Facebook
Twitter
The Other Side of the Bell - A Trumpet Podcast
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Charles Davis and Scodwell trumpets at WMC Reply with quote

Washington Music Center has over 7000 vendors and is in the continuing process of photographing everything for their new website. Charley's horns are on the list for sure and the Scodwell USA line-up is up and running as my horns have been sold there for a longer period.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
NiiAkweiAdoteye

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Charles Davis trumpet website issue Reply with quote

My name is Nii Akwei and I work at Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center.

I want to apologize for the hiccup with the Charlie Davis trumpets on our website and to clear up a few things:

Yes we do have Charlie Davis trumpets - in fact we're the only store in the world that stocks them.

We have them in stock right now.

We had a technical issue with our website that removed those instruments from public view. That issue has been resolved and the instruments are visible now.

If there are any other issues, please PM me or call me at the store (301.946.8808). Sorry for the confusion and thank you for your patience.

http://www.chucklevins.com/products/charles-davis-1s-2-west-coast-model-b-flat-trumpet.html

http://www.chucklevins.com/products/charles-davis-1s-7-west-coast-model-professional-b-flat-trumpet.html
nowave
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to try these - bet they're great.

Just noticed this text on the site:

"The #2 Leadpipe (1S-2) offers more resistance and is more suitable for high register playing. The #7 Leadpipe (1S-7) offers a freer blow with less resistance and has improved flexibility."

Isn't this backwards? I had a Calicchio 1S2 for some time and always thought the 7 leadpipe was the more resistant one.
CharleyD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right! The #2 pipe is free, the #7 pipe is a bit smaller and more resistance. Both pipes play equally well in the upper register. Both have good sounds. The more free blowing is the #9 pipe I just got the mandrel for, the #9 and showed at the ITG. Currently experimenting with Sterling Silver pipes. These horns have a better all round sound than their predecessor, they play very well in the low register as well. All the horns come with a Bob Reeves valve alignment to assure the best possible playing characteristics. I very much appreciate your interest. To try them , please contact Lee Walkowich at Chuck Levine's Washington Music. I'm sure Lee can arrange a trial.
Thanks
Charley Davis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: