• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet Players Who Have Inspired Your Playing

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommy t.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Trumpet Players Who Have Inspired Your Playing Reply with quote

fredo wrote:
Clark was the first trumpet player i've attempted to imitate, the second was his "student" : Miles ...

Fredo posted that tribute in one of CT obit topics.

It seemed to me that it might be an interesting theme all by itself.

How about the rest of you --

Who was the first trumpet (or cornet or flugel) player you tried to imitate?

The first trumpet player that I tried to copy was Bunny Berigan.

At some point, I was probably 11 or 12 years old, my Father bought me a 45 rpm record changer and a radio/amplifier/speaker combination to go with it. Both were Arvin products. We lived in Columbus, Indiana, which was Arvin's birthplace and, when I was that age, was still their major manufacturing location. They made "hi-fi" for us and automobile mufflers for the world.

Dad played trumpet and along with the changer came a few records: two EP's (stands for "Extended Play," you kids; small records with big holes in the middle) with four Sousa marches each; two EP's with the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra; one of Louie Armstrong; and one featuring Bunny Berigan.

I loved the way Bunny played those romantic ballads. High and clear with real emotion pouring out of the bell. If I had had the occasion to have a theme song it would have been strongly biased by Bunny's trade-mark rendition of "I Can't Get Started."

Over the years, Roy Eldridge took over. I flirted with Miles but I never felt like what I was doing was really "honest" -- just imitating without meaning.

I would have imitated Dizzy, note for note, but let's admit it -- I sure couldn't do it!

I pretty much reverted to Roy as I got older. To Roy's style and approach, that is. I never had his technique and don't mean to imply that I did or do.

Last time I saw Roy live was at Sandy's Jazz Revival in NYC. He was playing alone on week-night with a set of percussion recordings. Me and a banker client at one table, six hicks from Iowa at another -- that was it.

Tommy T.

(Apologies to any non-hicks from Iowa who might be on this forum, but these guys were noisy and thoughtless. At one point they requested the "Saints." Roy obviously looked at and nodded toward his tip jar and said "Oh yeah. I can play that one." The Iowans didn't move and Roy didn't play "Saints." )

Last edited by tommy t. on Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was really little I distinctly remember my folks watching what I believe what was caller The Mancini Hour. I may have seen or heard other trumpet prior to that but watching that show regularly definitely started my fascination with the instrument. Not long after was Herb Alpert. Then came Doc and the band on The Tonight Show.

I can't claim to have ever having attempted to imitate these players but they definitely created the spark.

I high school I learned about Chase then Maynard. I suppose in some way I tried to emulate Maynard but without the range. Chuck Mangione was another early influence I tried to copy. My band director even bought a Maynard chart and a few Mangione charts that we played in stage band.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the first one to make an impression (I transcribed his "I'm Coming Virginia" solo) and who's recordings I could sing along with, note for note, inflection to inflection, was Bix. loved his playing, but didn't aspire to copy him.

The next, with more carry-over into what I really felt like, was Dizzy.
...and Fats, Miles, Brownie and I was crazy over Louis Prima.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never tried to imitate anyone. But I sure played the heck out of my parent's album of "Tijuana Taxi".

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when TJB was popular I got hold of a cassette by a clone of sorts named "The Iguana Brass". Loved that recording.

That was probably a while later than my 1st LP purchased by myself from a swap meet..."Mancini '67", if memory servers me right.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egad.
I started playing in the mid-60's, and my junior high band teacher idolized the Tijuana Brass. So I got a lot of Herb Alpert to start with, which ain't bad as his tone was good, and he didn't do extreme things with range (though Mr. Dilmore loved to scream high notes when there were no students around).
Then in the late 60's, my mom married a musician, and I learned about other players: Doc Severinsen, Snooky Young, Mic Gillette (who is all but family, so I started learning from better teachers), Blue Mitchell, Clifford Brown. Al Hirt. Pop was NOT a fan of screaming, so I didn't find out about Maynard until I was 17, or Bill Chase until I went into the navy band school.
So my big influences were local guys like Dave Greeno (who did symphony work, but also played with Bing Crosby and Benny Goodman), or Stu Cooper, who played great dixieland and circus gigs. Or Riz Britton, who did most of the pit orchestra work in town.
I didn't get a lot of outside influences until I was out of the house, and on my own. Then I discovered Red Rodney (my best teacher) and George Graham and a lot of L.A. cats.
andybharms
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only met him briefly but his sound and style are unmistakable, and then of course there is his unfortunate cancer bout. Ryan Anthony is hands down one of my favorite trumpet players of all time. I can't believe his sound is even possible. If I could get that for even one minute in my whole career....

Also, my old teacher Keith Benjamin. If you haven't heard him play, you owe it to yourself to hear him. And another previous teacher of mine Craig Morris. It has been four years since I've heard him face to face but I can still vividly hear his trumpet voice as I attempt to execute phrases with a glimmer of the the verve he has. I'm very lucky to have worked with both of them.
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

Richard Williams. Al Porcino. Alan Rubin. Jon Faddis. Chuck Schmidt. Frank Fighara.
Up close and personal..

From afar..Lee Morgan Freddie Hubbard.. Lonnie Hillyard..Kinny Dorham..Doc..John Ware...Bill Vachiano..Mendez..
brassjunky
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herb Alpert -> Maurice Andre --> Maynard --> James Morrison
mchs3d
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First trumpet player who inspired me was James Morrison. No, perhaps it was Chris Botti? I used to wake up to his ballads, so I guess you could say they "inspired" me to get out of bed.
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry James & Louis Armstrong
trumpaholic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mendez, Armstrong and Hirt
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maynard, Lew Soloff, Bill Chase, Bud, Phil Smith, Ed Carroll, Maurice, Manny Laureano.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Big Dave88
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First EVER was when my mom got me Wynton's 'Carnival' cd and sheet music. Heh, I remember 2 distinct things when I played that cd(probably a thousand times or so). The first was, 'I bet I can do that', then I tried to, and...sorta did. The second was 'I don't like his trumpet sound... it's kinda dull.' A few years later I found out he recorded it on a cornet. I was probably 13 or 14.

Herseth and Andre became my influences after I knew I wanted to really do something with my horn.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my earliest musical memories include hearing my parents' record of Haydn/Voisin/BSO, and I'm still dazzled by the third movement of that recording. I've never played the Haydn in public, and never even attempted the third movement in front of a jury. My biggest classical influences have always been Voisin and André.

When I started playing, Herb Alpert was a huge inspiration, and he was the first player I tried to copy.

Then it was (and still is) Wayne Jackson, although I was learning his parts for a few decades before I had any idea who he really was. I guess I'm still more interested in serving the song than in soloing. It was really appealing to me that I could play, at a young age, most of Jackson's work, as he never seemed interested in impressing anyone with technically difficult parts.

When I entered high school, it was Brecker, Soloff, and Loughnane, in their pop groups. Then I discovered Chase, and kaboom! everything changed. My eyes were opened, and I saw how much work I had to do. I searched for his older stuff, and discovered Ferguson, and then other big band players, Severinsen, Berrigan, and Biviano especially. In a different musical direction I tried to emulate Max Haskett, Greg Adams, Mic Gillette, and Cynthia Robinson.

I realized I had to do a whole lot of practicing. I was very fortunate to have met Bill Chase, through my high school band director who had known him (as Billy Chiaese) from their having played together in a National Guard band. Bill Chase told me that I should plan on practicing at least two hours per day, and that was a real shocker to a high school sophomore who was starting to spend most of his spare time with the opposite sex.

For some reason, straight ahead jazz and bebop in combo groups didn't really get to me until I was in college.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first inspiration was a player not held in great regard today, Clyde McCoy. To my ears now he has a ricky-ticky style that sounds hopelessly dated but when I first heard his wah-wah solo on 'Sugar Blues' I was mesmerized.

My grandfather owned a small movie theater in a tiny town in South Dakota and he used to play McCoy's scratchy 78 before every show. For me, sitting there in the dark with my popcorn, it was all I needed to imagine myself up on stage dazzling the audiience with a horn of my own.

Sadly, I've no doubt a good many instructors, band directors, and accompaniests - not to mention audience members - have wished that Clyde McCoy had played accordion.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Shipham_Player
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started playing when I was 12 and up until about 15 just played and listened to orchestral stuff - the usual Haydn, Carnival of Venice etc.

When I was 16 my then tutor brought in Cornet Chop Suey to listen to and then try and play. I couldn't of course imitate Satchmo in any way whatsoever at that age but I was hooked on jazz from that moment.

But what really shaped my sound and playing concept was buying the 1964 My Funny Valentine live recording by Miles. I just went into a record store (showing my age!) and bought it without having ever heard Miles before.

That record is still my favourite live Jazz album and totally blew my mind - I had no idea a Trumpet could sound like that and spent several years imitating Mile's phrasing and sound even to the extent of being referred to as Little Miles in a couple of big bands I played with.

However over time I've evolved my own voice and style - heavily influenced as it is by Miles and others but completely different. I'm a firm believer you should listen to as many players as you can and take a little bit from everyone.

Eventually you just sound like you and stop imitating.
LDK-97
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First was a local guy named Lasse Lindgren, really nice big band lead player. But the first classical player that really made an impact was Rolf Smedvig. Where did he go?

Then, Maynard Ferguson, Marsalis, Maurice André (the master), Hardenberger and Reinhold Friedrich.

Now, Niklas Eklund and the Hungarian soloist Gabor Boldoczki.
Bach Stradivarius Artisan Piccolo
Yamaha 8335GS Neo Bb
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LDK-97 wrote:
... Rolf Smedvig. Where did he go?

I think he's still with the Empire Brass (when he's not at the hairdresser's).
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herb Alpert/TJB first. My older bro and I bought all the albums when they came out, then played al the tunes along with the recordings by ear, harmony and all. Even played them for church groups, etc. Was about 12 at the time. (Wish I would've heard Maynard back then…) Also Al Hirt- got the Java single and played along with it by ear until I wore it out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: