• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet Players Who Have Inspired Your Playing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wvtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order from when I started playing in 1980

Chuck Mangione
Maynard Ferguson
Miles Davis
Wynton Marsalis
Clifford Brown
Freddie Hubbard
Woody Shaw
Bobby Shew
Roy Hargrove
Michael Phillip Mossman back with OTB

Those were all players that I listened too early in my career.
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorites all from the early 60s:

Carmell Jones (with Gerald Wilson Orchestra)
Bobby Hackett (most beautiful ballads)
Miles Davis
Maynard Ferguson (Roulette years)
Marvin Stamm (With Stan Kenton)
Pete Candoli (Blues When Your Lover Is Gone album)
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
dixieplayer

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Hirt, (couldn't believe the technical prowess of that guy). Herb Alpert (actually played the TB stuff in a wedding band I was in).
Later in college Doc, Chase, Loughnane, Soloff. Grew up playing Chicago, Blood Sweat and Tears, Ohio Players. Earth Wind and Fire. Never could hack the Chase parts in his band. Deeply influenced by the horn rock bands in the 60's and 70's.
Love Botti, and Rick Braun, on the smooth jazz side also.
oliver king
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a young player ... my father was my first teacher. He introduced me to Dizzy and Miles, John Faddis, Lee Morgan, Kenny Dorham. I found Art Farmer, Chuck Mangione and Eddie Henderson in high school and college. Wynton, Eddie Henderson, Miles, Terence Blanchard, Freddie Hubbard, Nicholas Payton, Roy Hargrove, Bud Herseth & Pierre Thibaud keep my attention today.
tommy t.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arttrumpet wrote:
Thank you all for your love the the trumpet!!!
Good luck !!,

I started this thread and your post is the best thing that has happened to me on Trumpet Herald!!

The only reason you aren't on my list as my first influence is that I'm older than you and started playing trumpet before you were born.

On my all time favorites list? You and Dizzy!! Dizzy and you!!

Thank you for what you play and for what you stand for!!

Tommy T.
furcifer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Armstrong
Harry James
Red Nichols
Bobby Pratt
Bobby Hackett
Zeke Zarchy
Clyde Hurley
Danny Davis
Billy Regis
Herb Alpert
Al Hirt
Chuck Mangione
Doc Severinsen
Dizzy Gillespie
Forrest Buchtel
Gary Grant
Leonard B. Smith
James Austin
Ned Battista
Maynard Ferguson
Stan Mark
Lynn Nicholson
Randy Brecker
Johnny Graham
Lee Loughnane
Lew Soloff
Al Vizzutti
Phil Driscoll
Al Chez
Dennis Dotson
Clark Terry
Miles Davis
Wynton Marsalis
Clifford Brown
Marvin Stamm
Snooky Young
John Audino
Galen Jeter
Chuck Findley
Bill Chase
John Faddis
Jerry Hey
Freddie Hubbard
Lee Morgan
Roy Eldridge
Wayne Bergeron
John Donnelly
Lin Biviano
Alan Wise
Don Ellis
Rick Baptist
Bobby Shew
Patrick Hession
Arturo Sandoval
Nicholas Payton
Malcom McNab
Roger Ingram
Dan Miller
George Rock
Cat Anderson
Eric Miyashiro
Vinnie DiMartino
Thad Jones

I'm sure I left somebody really important out, but most of these were discovered as I was growing up. There are quite a few notable greats that I didn't mention, because they weren't really formative for me.
Buescher LP 9 -1926
Getzen 896S-4 flugel -'86
Conn 18H bone -'64
Getzen M2003E Bb/G bugle
Getzen Titleist 2v soprano G -'79
King K-50 G mellophone
Henri Gautier Cornet C/Bb/A -1919
Mindlink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chet Baker
Miles Davis
Tom Harrell
Kenny Dorham
Roy Hargrove
Nicholas Payton
Arve Henriksen
Nils Petter Molvær
Kenny Wheeler
Don Ferarra
Hayden Powell
Torgrim Sollid
Freddie Hubbard
Clifford Brown
++++++++++++++++++

www.kristoffereikrem.com
Tack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first, and probably biggest, influences were my first band director and the 2 private teachers I had in high school. Great inspiring teachers and even better people. Thankful I can still pick their brains when I hit a run.
As far as pros/performers go, Maynard......hands down.

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final" - not me
LakeTahoeTrpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! My dad was a public school instrumental music teacher; he tried to inspire me NOT to become a musician, but of course he introduced me to music by starting me playing violin when I was six or seven. When fifth grade rolled around, I wanted to play trombone, but my left arm wasn't long enough to reach seventh position, so I settled for trumpet. I had two older brothers who were sax players, so my first inspiration to play something other than the legit music that played constantly in our house came from hearing Stan Getz Live at the Cafe Au Go Go. I fell in love with Astrud Gilberto. Then I heard Miles Live at Carnegie Hall and that blew me away. By seventh grade, my dad had passed me on to the local symphony principal for lessons, and he inspired me. At the same time Herb Alpert and the TJB became popular, and he was playing a lot of stuff that I suspect most of us on here could play as young folk, so of course I started a band and we covered his songs and played for our junior high dances. In high school I was back to concentrating on Maurice Andre and the great legit players until I was a junior and heard Lew Soloff playing on the second Blood Sweat and Tears album. The idea that I could be a rock and roll star AND play the trumpet was especially appealing to me, and when I heard Lee Loughnane playing with Chicago between my junior and senior years of high school, that was it! I can still remember all the trumpet parts for the first three albums. In college I was back to listening to the masters and being turned on to Bud Herseth and William Vacchiano and Timofei Dokshizer and the rest. Wow! Then when I actually started doing this for a living, I looked up to George Graham and some of the great studio musicians. It has been a long and winding road. It was so cool to see Arturo put his comment on here, as he has inspired me as well. Thanks to the original poster. This was a fun little story to put into words. I never tried to do it in 52 years of playing trumpet until just now...
Benge Flugelhorn 3X
Buescher 400 Model 275 Cornet
Curry Precision Mouthpieces
musicman0097
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the trumpet players who have inspired me and close friends and people that I know. It makes trumpet playing much more closer to home and more of a reality than seeing a famous trumpet player I don't know personally. It gives me more motivation.

Matthew

"There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, learning from failure"- Colin Powell
LakeTahoeTrpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...and (duh)...Doc.
Benge Flugelhorn 3X
Buescher 400 Model 275 Cornet
Curry Precision Mouthpieces
atsfjohn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been many players who inspired me at one time or another, but two loom the largest for me currently:

I like the fire and passion that Arturo Sandoval brings to even classical music (his recording of the Arutiunian Concerto is way different from others'--in a good way), and I just love the clear, clean sound of Wayne Bergeron.

If I could sound like any player who ever lived, it would be Wayne.

John
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Armstrong
Roy Eldridge
Dizzy Gillespie
Freddie Hubbard
Miles Davis
Harry James
Al Hirt
Doc Severinsen
Warren.Vache
Maynard Ferguson
Till Bronner

....just to name a few.
Charlie Polk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject: players that inspired me Reply with quote

Conrad Gozzo
Al Hirt
Doc Severinsen
RobZappulla

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry James (when I was 4 years old) & Herb Alpert (in the 60s). They both had influence on why I started playing the trumpet at 9 years old. Then Dizzy, Clifford, Miles & Chet. Then Ronald Kutik when I studied at Hartt School of Music. After College... Bob McCoy & Jon Faddis. Then I started listening to the great Conrad Gozzo.
Kanstul French Besson Meha .470 bore C
Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn
Schilke P5-4 Piccolo
Greg Black mouthpieces
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adolph Herseth, William Vacchiano, Roger Voisin, Harry Glantz, Rafael Mendez, Doc Severinsen, Herb Alpert, Maynard Ferguson, Lew Soloff, Gerard Schwarz, Rudy Nashan (Bud's second trumpet in the 50s), Vincent Chicowicz, Dizzy Gillespie, Louis Armstrong, Harry James, Timofey Dokshitzer, and others.
The biggest influence has been and always will be Herseth. Mendez is a close second.
R. Tomasek

I forgot to add Al Hirt.

Last edited by Vin DiBona on Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:42 am; edited 1 time in total
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Trumpet Players Who Have Inspired Your Playing Reply with quote

tommy t. wrote:
We lived in Columbus, Indiana, which was Arvin's birthplace and, when I was that age, was still their major manufacturing location. They made "hi-fi" for us and automobile mufflers for the world.

Tommy, what a great idea for a thread! Are you gearing up for ski season, waxed any boards yet? Take 31 north 20 miles from Columbus and you arrive at Arvin Automotive in Franklin, which I lived across the street from for a couple years.

I remember being undecided as to whether I wanted to play trombone or trumpet in 1974. Dad brought home Maynard's Chameleon album. Most of you probably know the last track is Superbone Meets the Badman, which certainly demonstrates what a trombone (or superbone) is capable of. I was duly impressed, but had already heard what a trumpet was capable of in the first song which was the title track. (Not to mention Gospel John ior La Fiesta!) Just those opening few seconds! And of course those final 2 notes. I flipped the LP over and listened to Chameleon again and although I pointedly said nothing until the song was over out of respect, I was already hooked.

After 2 weeks of CG's SA Dad had me explore upstairs, and out sailed the most effortless and powerful high D you'd ever want to hear. Probably the wisest instruction he ever gave me was to have me stop then and there, rather than continue. It felt great, and that feeling stuck with me rather than being marred by strain and failure. Plus he didn't want to hear me continue to one-up him.

A month later and I could play that opening lick. 2 months later and I could sometimes get it with what I only thought was a shake, but was actually a lip trill. Now I have the dirty wide shake I always wanted, and perform it regularly on the bandstand.

My next major influence was my Dad's prize pupil who always had this big fat sound. Those two wound up in a big band with Bob Livingood on lead, who played with Leon Merian for Liza Minnelli. Summers in Junior High The Gong Show was on, and that trumpet player - whoever he was with the raw brass horn due to lacquer mostly worn off - HIM. I would regularly watch TV in the morning and start practicing after The Gong Show was over. I didn't understand the "sound model" concept, all I knew was I played better when I did it that way so I did. I still dig raw brass. That was when Dad's former prize pupil was now back from College and my teacher, and he had me working through Arban's characteristic studies. I ripped one off and he looked at me like he was scared.

He studied under Tony Pascharelli aka the boss. He had 2 students who were brothers, Lino and Dino. I forget their last name but something Italian. If anybody knows who they are admit it - they influenced you too! All those guys were nuts, and introduced me to Bill Chase. Ok, there was a sound totally different from MF that I could dig.

Then my teacher hipped me to the Bob Newhart theme, that it was Jon Faddis. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5D2DA_42Uk
Those last 2 notes - that focus is just FIERCE!

Yet I still kept coming back to Dad's extensive record collection of Maynard and Stan Kenton. Sure I saw Star Wars in the theater and heard some guy from across the pond and he and his British ensemble there sounded great and all, but that didn't do it for me like Maynard. Neither did Stan Mark, Lynn Nicholson or any of those other great lead players for MF and Buddy Rich. I grew intimately familiar with which parts MF was playing and where he was laying out, and came to appreciate his soloing, improvised and recorded in one-take. You could be all Maynard all the time and be very far from a one-track mind.

Then my Sister practically demanded I visit her at IU to rub elbows with Jerry Hey's teacher or at least as many of Bill Adam's students as possible. I shouldn't skip over her musical influence on me but she's not a brass player. Those guys were all very welcoming and helpful, but that visit didn't bring me in touch with names everyone would recognize. Upon my return to IN I first studied under Allen Johnson, who had gotten fired from Maynard's band for soloing better than he did. Only Bobby Militello got away with doing that! His knowledge of jazz as a language was not merely fluent but native, and I still have poorly mimeographed copies of his transcriptions, Clifford Brown's being my favorite. Wish I had the horn I'm practicing on right now with the chops I've got now back then, I'd have been able to get more out of what he had to offer.

Next I studied under Bobby Burns, now of EWF fame. MAN was he ever an influence on my playing!! Bill Adam yes, but I hardly ever got to hear him play nor did I ever get a lesson from him. Bobby and I spent many hours in the practice room together and his sound is just something else!!

I got to hear Pat Harbison, now moderator of the Adam forum here. Bob Slack. I saw Chris Botti not merely develop but absolutely TAKE OFF. Tons of great sounding players who provided an environment that was influential and contagious.

Greg Black. In '91 I walked into his shop for the first time and he sounded FABULOUS. He made me a custom piece that served me well for a time and now belongs to George Schlub, the horn maker in Singapore. I don't know if Greg has kept up his chops but in his shop last summer he was enjoying my playing.

ARTURO SANDOVAL! I heard him play something on TV and had no idea who he was. I was part of a record club and got the GRP All-Star Big Band CD for like a penny and got rather acquainted with Mr Sandoval's abilities. If that isn't my most-played CD it would only be because his Evolutions CD is. His tone on the Coloratura?!!? How do you beat that - except maybe with his warm up vid on youtube ending with the Disney theme.

Then I joined TH and got exposed to lists of players like y'all have accumulated here, and the net makes it much easier to hear them. I also love Dokshitzer and am currently working out of his book of etudes, but those are my main influences in terms of who I have actually attempted to sound like.
TrumpetBoy907

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So being as this was only around 4-5 years ago for me, I can remember it pretty well. We have a bunch of old records at my house (all trumpet albums, my dad was a trumpet player in high school, now he's a repair tech) and I would always listen to Rafael Mendez, who I guess was sort of an inspiriation for me to start playing. However, I soon found the Maynard records Maynard's playing always stood out to me and although its a sound I will probably never have, his powerful playing and incredible stage presence really helped get me excited about trumpet (he was also my dad's inspiration, who has a funny story of when he had a private master class with Maynard, who accidentally smashed his trumpet right in front of a few young trumpet players). It was probably that which led to my early development in the upper-register. I never did have much formal training, so there wasn't really anyone to tell me that the high notes were the hard ones. On the oppisite side of playing, Clifford Brown and Chuck Mangione are hugh inspirations.
american boy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being born in 1953, My early inspirations had to be Al Hirt,Louis,Herb Alpert;My father was a trombone player,and he soon started to play me Maynard,Miles(Sketches of Spain) Bobby Hackett,Dizzy, and Rafael Mendez..Later,Doc was front and center,and then I heard Freddie and Lee,and the jaw dropping continued..
trumpitt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Kaderabek.
Studied with him a bit at U of Mich. when Ghitalla was on sabbatical back in the late 80's. Remarkable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: