• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Single tonguing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FivePointer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:22 am    Post subject: Single tonguing Reply with quote

does anyone have a good regimen for improving speed
and accuracy of single tonguing? If so
how often and how long do you work on per day?
Thanks
jiarby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Bond (NY Metropolitan Opera) has a good one.
https://rowantrumpetprof.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/bond-articulation.pdf
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of things to consider:
1. Tonguing, in and of itself
2. Coordinating the tongue with the fingers

I'd consider the exercise provided s geared more for articulation and rhythmic integrity than flat-out speed development. It is a great work out.

I could always hear what I wanted to play and by practicing towards that end rather than being concerned with what the tongue needed to do, was able to develop a single tongue speed quick enough that I didn't need to multiple tongue until I got around to playing the old Clarke cornet solos, etc.

Like Bond, I'd suggest tonguing patterns on scale steps, up and down. To align the fingers and tongue, along with breathing and a free flow throughout the range, I would suggest practicing scales modally (like Arban's scale section) along with the minor scales and others at accelerated speeds as well, one pitch per tongue. As fast as one can play comfortably. I'd suggest concentration on the sound and fluidity of the exercise and not be concerned with the tongue. (In the process one may find that moving the tongue position a bit upward and forward will help speed, as well as not tonguing with the actual tip, nor on the back of the teeth, but rather on the gum above.) I'd always go for the sound first, when I feel I've made progress I'd then go back and try to figure out how I did it. Sound, sound, sound. Good luck
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gekker Articulation Studies, 10-15 minutes every day, striving for a light, efficient, consistent approach.

Peter Bond made a recent post about articulation in which he suggested being careful not to overblow. I've found this tip helpful. His articulation exercise is also good.

I agree with Craig Swartz's suggestion to listen to the sound rather than thinking about the mechanics too much. I think that's a great approach.
Piccolo Stomvi
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play a single Clarke Technical study each day in all keys. Every week or so move to the next study. Repeat.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is more of a mental approach then mechanical but I was taught to think of the tongue as just flicking the airstream. Keeping the air flow moving is an important aspect of efficient tonguing. Efficient tonguing takes less energy, less fatigue at the corners and can lead to a very relaxed musical approach to trumpet playing.

So, as you work on speed with the metronome, try to keep the air moving past a rather small flick of the tongue as opposed to muscling each attack.

Peter Bonds stuff looks great. I also use Arban's 16th note scale exercises.

Best of luck,

Gordon Stump
FivePointer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Single Tongueing Reply with quote

Thanks much for the thoughts about the mechanics and the Peter Bond exercise. I will work on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: