• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Inappropriate stage attire

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:46 am    Post subject: Inappropriate stage attire Reply with quote

Warmer weather / Summer approaching ... which means outdoor gigs, and hot (ambient temps) club venues, and-so-forth.

I KNOW there are many different aspects, opinions and attitudes regarding acceptable and appropriate attire to wear while performing.

In MY view, there are some awful and cringe-worthy outfits I know I will be seeing guys (and gals) wearing.

Such as: (Number ONE !) - cheesy cargo shorts, sandals (or Crocs, dorky white sneakers), Hawaiian shirts, baseball caps (or worse: cheesy Pork Pie hats).

How about sloppy, overweight, corpulent, rotund (read: FAT) guys wearing outfits like "The Dude", in the film, "The Big Lebowski"? Ugh.

Pretty bad to see "stage attire" that looks like almost everyone in the audience.
Non-musician people hear with their eyes, too. If you make an effort to look interesting, you will sound better to them.
The band should dress at least one level higher than those in the audience.

Look like a professional human-being ... as opposed to someone who was ejected from a crack house for dress code violations.

It is SHOW BUSINESS ... right?

Oh; one more thing: sunglasses ("shades").
I believe every saxophone player keeps at least two pairs in the case with the horn,
Please explain to me how sunglasses automatically make you "cool".
Soooo ... I can cop a pair of sunglasses from the Dollar Store, and magically, I
become a "COOL Dude" ?? Right.
Gimme a break !

Please share YOUR thoughts / attitudes.

kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bitch when the rest of the world doesn't act like one wants it to, isn't it?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that is intended as a "snarky" comment, it does not surprise me, coming from you.
Is that the best you can do?
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

our society has sadly been engaged in the race to the bottom culturally
for a very long time. even sadder still the rest of the world is following suit

i agree with you 100%
we should try and show some respect to our profession

for this Wynton has been a stellar example
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Of Constant Sorrow wrote:
If that is intended as a "snarky" comment, it does not surprise me, coming from you. Is that the best you can do?

Oh, come on, man. It's a stand-alone statement, in general.
It alludes to the changes to our society that we all have to live with, like it or not.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, but has anyone else ever played a summer band concert in a crowded bandstand when the thermometer displayed 114 degrees at the McDonalds up the street.

Actually, the worst was the 40 mph sandstorm that hit in the middle of one piece, and sent us scrambling and trying to protect our horns from flying stands.

I have played several of each of those, every summer for the last 16 years. 10 Sunday evening and Independence Day concerts each summer. We do have a "uniform", but it involves polo shirts and wait for it, kakhi shorts, often we th cargo pockets, and "tennis shoes". And an approved cap. Just sayin'!
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:
our society has sadly been engaged in the race to the bottom culturally for a very long time. even sadder still the rest of the world is following suit.

If “our society” refers to the US I’m not sure your statement is accurate as written.

My thoughts are that “the rest of the world” is a participant in the race to the bottom and not following suit.

I also think that not all changes are to be rued. Some I laud, like dropping wearing neckties continually. Just two generations ago my wife’s grandfather didn’t leave the house without a necktie. My parent’s and my generation wore ties on formal, religious and business occasions but not in casual situations. I don’t miss that either.
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huntman10 wrote:
Just curious, but has anyone else ever played a summer band concert in a crowded bandstand when the thermometer displayed 114 degrees at the McDonalds up the street.

Actually, the worst was the 40 mph sandstorm that hit in the middle of one piece, and sent us scrambling and trying to protect our horns from flying stands.

I have played several of each of those, every summer for the last 16 years. 10 Sunday evening and Independence Day concerts each summer. We do have a "uniform", but it involves polo shirts and wait for it, kakhi shorts, often we th cargo pockets, and "tennis shoes". And an approved cap. Just sayin'!

Yeah ... but, you're in Texas. What do you expect ?

Yer boy, George H.W., was a pretty smart dude. Ever wonder why he took the family to spend Summers in Kennebunkport?
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Of Constant Sorrow wrote:

Yeah ... but, you're in Texas. What do you expect ?

Yer boy, George H.W., was a pretty smart dude. Ever wonder why he took the family to spend Summers in Kennebunkport?

Yep, they were from down at Midland, about 90 miles south of here. Back about 1980, G Dubya and Laura dropped in here at my folks house (where my wife and I now live) campaigning for George H W. They were very pleasant and gracious, downright unassuming, and Laura was especially complimentary about the wedding gifts set out for my sister's coming wedding. But G Dubya never mentioned having us up to Kennebunkport!

But I really never thought to ask.
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:

If “our society” refers to the US I’m not sure your statement is accurate as written.

My thoughts are that “the rest of the world” is a participant in the race to the bottom and not following suit.

i stand by my statement as i have witnessed it first hand while living between the US and europe for the past 40 years

we have a very powerful influence on most of the rest of the world
and all are trying to emulate us bar just a few.

it’s very easy to see if you take the time to look honestly ……….
and it’s not a pretty sight.
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Music is art.

Any effort bands, band members put into enhancing their professional appearance will be appreciated by the audience.

The vast majority of men have ZERO sense of style. Nothing new about that.
There are so many ways to look like you put "some effort" into your appearance, for all so many styles/genres of music being performed.

Find a stylish woman in your life ... spouse, parent, in-law, cousin, girlfriend, aunt, daughter ... whomever. Ask that person(s) to be honest ... brutally honest with you. Admit you need help.
Or ... keep embarrassing yourself in public, and post some vague, lame excuse here on threads like this.
richmanwisco

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A musical performance can take many shapes and forms. Appearance is just one component of the performance. If you are attending a performance with a preconceived notion of how the performers should look and disagree with it, that's your prerogative. Perhaps you weren't the intended audience.

One thing I will never, ever do is pass judgement on any performer. It's art. You either like it or not. That's the amazing thing about our wonderful country is that we have the freedom to express ourselves however way we want.
Trumpets:
Carol Brass CTR-9990H-RSM
J.W. York & Sons Model 105 Bb/A
pTrumpet

Performed with:
Garfield Cadets 1982, 1984
Penn State Blue Band 1984-85
Watertown Municipal Band
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose we could all limit ourselves to the gigs that allow us to wear "acceptable" duds, or migrate around the country as "gigbirds," chasing the perfect temperature range.

Back in 2019 I subbed with two bands at the Gilroy (California) Garlic Festival. Gilroy is south of San Jose and the festival happened in July. The day of the festival it hit 105 degrees in Gilroy.

The first band was a reggae band with which I played trombone, wearing cargo shorts and a Hawaiian shirt. The second band was a latin rock group with which I played trumpet and trombone. The leader of that band insisted on a uniform of long-sleeve dress shirts, black dress slacks, black socks and dress black shoes. Any deviation from the dress code would result in a dock in pay.

Two members of that band had to leave the stage for medical attention during the gig, due to heat-related distress.

I made pretty good money playing with both groups, but I would only play again with the group with a "realistic" dress code.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nieuwguyski wrote:
I suppose we could all limit ourselves to the gigs that allow us to wear "acceptable" duds, or migrate around the country as "gigbirds," chasing the perfect temperature range.

Back in 2019 I subbed with two bands at the Gilroy (California) Garlic Festival. Gilroy is south of San Jose and the festival happened in July. The day of the festival it hit 105 degrees in Gilroy.

The first band was a reggae band with which I played trombone, wearing cargo shorts and a Hawaiian shirt. The second band was a latin rock group with which I played trumpet and trombone. The leader of that band insisted on a uniform of long-sleeve dress shirts, black dress slacks, black socks and dress black shoes. Any deviation from the dress code would result in a dock in pay.

Two members of that band had to leave the stage for medical attention during the gig, due to heat-related distress.

I made pretty good money playing with both groups, but I would only play again with the group with a "realistic" dress code.

I went to the festival once a couple of decades back. It was just as hot that day. Once was enough.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
It's a bitch when the rest of the world doesn't act like one wants it to, isn't it?

Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And: last gig was performed by the band wearing white shirts, bow tie and tuxedo. Black shoes
The audience: mean age 70+.

"The way we look tonight..." well - sometimes they should take that away...
I can agree on today´s declining standards when it comes to how to be dressed at public performances.

Oh yes the world is full of things that ain´t what they used to be (if they ever were).

As a friend of mine said: "it wasn´t better back in the day but it is far worse today".

However getting worked up about things is probably good for your circulatory system.
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Trumpjerele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Oscar Winde used to say, only superficial people don't give importance to appearance.

The fashion industry is booming, nowadays appearance is more important than ever. Artists take care of their image.

Miles Davis was ahead of his time in this regard as well.

Winton Marsalis looks good in his style, Christian Scott too.

Now there is more variety, but that's not worse.

Trumpet: Yamaha 8310Z
Mouthpiece: the great Yamaha11b4

Sax tenor: Yamaha YTS 23
Mouthpiece: Otto link tone edge
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Careful, Trumpjerele --

Stop making sense!
There are a lot of fat slobs whose feelings may get hurt.
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living in Texas where it is almost always warm (it begins getting warm/hot in March and typically goes through at least November), I'd suggest that appropriate attire is definitely an issue for any band that performs outside.

My personal experience (and opinion) is that as long as the members all wear a consistent shirt (t-shirt, polo, whatever), that provides the cohesive "look" (or uniform, if you prefer) of the band, that's all that really matters (and musicianship, of course). Beyond that, whether they wear shorts, jeans, slacks, crocs, tennis shoes, flip flops, etc. really doesn't matter to the audience. They're there to hear the music, not critique the sartorial styling of the band.

Note: this is only for outdoor concerts. For indoor events, a consistent dress code should be applied (because after all, if you're where it does get warm, you'll usually have the AC on inside).

As for sunglasses, if it's an outdoor event, some people have eyes that are more sensitive to sunlight than others, so they wear sunglasses. It's really no big deal, and it's not people trying to look cool. We just did an outdoor concert this past weekend and about 10% of the folks wore sunglasses. So did most of the audience. If you live where it's sunny people are used to it, it's not a distraction or anything else, it's just a fact of life down here.

“Without music, life would be a mistake” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

1968 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1958 Conn Director 14A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: