• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tea &/or coffee ?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:30 am    Post subject: Tea &/or coffee ? Reply with quote

Hi, all ~

I have been "off" coffee for 5-years, now. Love it, love to smell it ... however (!!), it was causing me "intestinal distress"
(if you know what I mean).
Now drink hot tea. Herbal, green, organic, etc. Am enjoying it, as much as, or even, more-so than coffee. No more 'intestinal distress".
I used to drink tea many years ago. Mainly, in the afternoon and evenings.

I am ready to throw the tea in the harbor. Anyone, else?
(subliminal metaphor, here, Y'all ...)
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two cups of dark coffee in the morning. Doesn't seem to have a negative effect. In fact, and it's kind'a funny - beer is supposed to make you drowsy and coffee alert. But when I was doing a lot of late-night arranging, I found that I could drink a six pac of beer while I was writing and it helped keep me going while, one cup of coffee and I would drift off into never-never land,

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wine makes me drowsy. Beer makes my pee stink.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly cut out caffeine over a decade ago when I mostly quit drinking soda. I drank coffee from time to time, but it wasn't a regular thing. It tended not to "wake" me up in the morning (not a morning person regardless) but just made me jittery.

For soda, I gave up the yellow sweet stuff and when I rarely had one, it was a clear, maybe citrus thing with bubbles. But, even that was quite rare.

It was mostly water, some juice in the morning, and some beer, whiskey, or wine. I occasionally had too much of the alcohol, but it was very occasional, maybe once every couple of years. Usually a nice craft beer either at the local brewery or at Saturday get together.

When the virus struck and we were all isolated at home, I, over time, discovered I'm almost entirely a social drinker. I vaguely miss having a tasty German style beer, a nice Rioja, or a well made Old Fashioned, Mint Julep, or Redbreast 12 neat. But, not enough to actually bother to get one and I don't miss most of the effects. Accidently haven't had a drink for several years, so I guess I didn't have a problem - not that I really thought I did.

I keep thinking about getting into tea. I used to occasionally have a herbal tea, but I enjoyed the actual tea as well. But, whatever I'm doing or not doing has been feeling very good physically, so I think I'll just keep on keeping on for the time being.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever your preferences ... be sure to drink/quaf ample Good 'ole WATER !

It has been my beverage of choice for decades.
huntman10
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After years spent at power plants, I got to liking the bitter black swill that was brewed in the control rooms that were on duty 24/7/365. Having left the power industry some 17 years ago, I am down to one 36 ounce cup a day before noon. My favorite is a blend called "Tacti-Squatch" from Black Rifle Coffee company. I suspect they chose that name because I believe their blend will likely serve to turn forged aluminum gun parts a deep flat Parkerized black! No sugar, no cream, no foam!

Then at noon, decaf unsweetened iced tea made with de-ionized water (the water quality we used in the power plant lab)! Haven't had a beer in 3 years, and that was just the 1. Just never did enjoy beer or wine. I have a Bloody Mary for New Year's, and 1 "good" Scotch with my brother in law sometime in the summer. I may drink 1 or 2 soft drinks a month, if I am away from home and can't get trustworthy tea, but no artificial sweeteners!

Keeps me feeling better than I deserve!
Selmer 25, Getzen Eternas, Kanstuls (920 Pic, CG)
Martin Custom Large Bore, Lots Olds!, Conns, etc.
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it's black coffee or lightly sweet tea.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around the start of the pandemic I saw several news articles quoting a reputable longitudinal study claiming that adults who drank 3 - 5 cups of coffee per day lived longer than those who didn't. (I couldn't find how many ounces 3 - 5 cups totaled. I actually didn't look very hard.) Decaf had a detrimental effect.

So I started drinking about 4 "cups" every day. My wife, always a coffee drinker, started to make sure she got at least 3 "cups" in. We both drink it black.

The trouble is, my wife likes very dark roasts, and I much prefer light roasts. So we have to be careful planning to use our one coffee maker.
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huntman10 wrote:

... decaf unsweetened iced tea made with de-ionized water (the water quality we used in the power plant lab)!

I often wondered about de-ionized water.

I, too, worked in industrial power-plants (as a sub-contractor, overhauling turbines).
Was a bit hesitant to try what you suggested you do; due to no empirical data available. No employees offered experience or advice.
I did not want to be a "crash test dummy".
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right! Caffeine thread....

huntman10 wrote:
I am down to one 36 ounce cup a day before noon.

That's one big cup of Joe, bro....

I also did a career in the 24/7/365 environment. Mids/evenings/rare day shifts. We were all excited when our new place got a Bunn coffee maker, until we found that our group of professionals couldn't figure out the correct amount of grounds for a decent cuppa. That it was Folger's swill didn't help. I started bringing a Thermos into work. After we started hiring young people into the group (or we got old?) they installed those Keurig things (whose product always seems to have an aftertaste...)

At home, we enjoy a Honduran dark roast from a farm our missionary friends oversee in the western part of the country. Ships from a warehouse in Memphis and supports efforts to train young men in business skills so they can support a family. https://subidacoffee.com/ I'm also a fan of Dunkin' Midnight and Community Coffee (was introduced to the latter by some friends in that fine French city of Baton Rouge.)
RL
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually American coffee taste more or less the same as tea.
Years ago I received a pack with American (filter)coffee as a gift.
At home we made coffee the way we always do and it was tasting like warm water with some coffee taste. So we doubled the quantity of coffee and it still tasted like @#@#. European coffee is so much stronger in taste.

back to the topic:

2 cups of coffee in the morning on working days
Water during the day
Tea in the evening

During the weekend:
2 cups of Cappucino or coffee in the morning .
Water during te day
A good glas (or 2) Primitivo in the evening.
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Zappa drank coffee, a LOT.
He had an ever-present Thermos of it ... whether it be at home, on a gig, in the studio, in the car. Drank coffee all hours of the day and night.

The effects could be evident (?) in his quirky, "dark humor"
Ever listen to the lyrics in his tunes ?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say that I didn’t like either cup of coffee I’ve had.

But then caffeine has never had a noticeable effect on me so I didn’t need a carrier for it.

Also my tastebuds are wired a little differently. Cilantro tastes like dish soap, so perhaps my appreciation for coffee suffers from a similar effect?
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two cups of high octane black coffee. One in the morning, around 7:30. I usually have the 2nd cup around 4 in the afternoon, usually after a short nap! I started on organic coffee some years back. Been drinking it black for over 40 years. As far as tea, I rarely drink it despite being three quarters Irish. My wife is full blooded Chinese from Honolulu. We will drink tea in our favorite Chinese restaurant.
One funny story. Starbuck's makes a really good instant coffee that comes in individual packets. My next oldest sister's best friend is from Norway. She loves strong black coffee. She carries these packets with her. If she orders coffee in a restaurant and it's too weak, she jacks it up with a packet or two.
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peanuts56 wrote:
Two cups of high octane black coffee. One in the morning, around 7:30. I usually have the 2nd cup around 4 in the afternoon, usually after a short nap! I started on organic coffee some years back. Been drinking it black for over 40 years. As far as tea, I rarely drink it despite being three quarters Irish. My wife is full blooded Chinese from Honolulu. We will drink tea in our favorite Chinese restaurant.
One funny story. Starbuck's makes a really good instant coffee that comes in individual packets. My next oldest sister's best friend is from Norway. She loves strong black coffee. She carries these packets with her. If she orders coffee in a restaurant and it's too weak, she jacks it up with a packet or two.

Many years ago, I was at a rest-stop in Maine, along I-95.
A young lad of about 23/25 years of age approached me with a box of these coffee packets, of which you mention. I was drinking a cuppa Joe from my Thermos. He asked if I was drinking coffee (I was). He informed these packets were being market-tested by Starbucks.
As they were free, I accepted a few that were offered. He handed me a form to be sent to Starbucks Corporate, upon giving a "review".
Not being a fan of instant coffee, I chucked them in the glove compartment of my trust VW Westfalia Vanagon. And ... forgot about them. For a month-or-so.

Later, back home, I found them, having forgotten.
I tried them, and was very pleasantly surprised. (I was something of a coffee snob, at the time, NEVER inclined to do instant coffee).
I subsequently sent the review (positive) back the Starbucks. A month-or-so later, I received a parcel from the company with a generous number of complimentary packets.

I recommend.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I have two cups of dark coffee in the morning. Doesn't seem to have a negative effect... one cup of coffee and I would drift off into never-never land,

2 tall cups more or less (rarely less) of Community Dark Roast or Community Columbian for decades was my morning ritual. I tried some Community Dark and Bold Expresso Roast about 6 months ago and that has become my new favourite!

I like my coffee, I like my tea, but if I am addicted to anything, that would be water, especially that tasty deep well water from our weekend farmhome further south! I regularly consume upwards of 12 cups of water daily, very cold with fresh ice, in my favourite insulated tall mug with a long flex straw. A mug resides on my nightstand as well!

Life is Short! Find the Joy in it!

Mike

It is the destination that makes sense of the journey! -David Gibson-
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbtj51 wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

our weekend farmhome further south!
-

Let's try, "farther" south.
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By-the-way, cbtj51, I agree with your choice beverage: water.

I quaff prodigious quantities of the stuff.

Just finished four (4) days of literally drinking nothing but water.
(Prep protocol for a colonoscopy )

Very good result.
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man Of Constant Sorrow wrote:
peanuts56 wrote:

Many years ago, I was at a rest-stop in Maine, along I-95.
A young lad of about 23/25 years of age approached me with a box of these coffee packets, of which you mention. I was drinking a cuppa Joe from my Thermos. He asked if I was drinking coffee (I was). He informed these packets were being market-tested by Starbucks.
As they were free, I accepted a few that were offered. He handed me a form to be sent to Starbucks Corporate, upon giving a "review".
Not being a fan of instant coffee, I chucked them in the glove compartment of my trust VW Westfalia Vanagon. And ... forgot about them. For a month-or-so.

Later, back home, I found them, having forgotten.
I tried them, and was very pleasantly surprised. (I was something of a coffee snob, at the time, NEVER inclined to do instant coffee).
I subsequently sent the review (positive) back the Starbucks. A month-or-so later, I received a parcel from the company with a generous number of complimentary packets.

I recommend.

They are quite good. Best instant I've ever had. My sister in law in Hawaii introduced them to me a few years back. Some Costco stores carry them. Not in my area unfortunately. Come to think of it, the only Costco I've ever seen them in was on Oahu.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Tea &/or coffee ? Reply with quote

Man Of Constant Sorrow wrote:
Hi, all ~

I have been "off" coffee for 5-years, now. Love it, love to smell it ... however (!!), it was causing me "intestinal distress"
(if you know what I mean).
Now drink hot tea. Herbal, green, organic, etc. Am enjoying it, as much as, or even, more-so than coffee. No more 'intestinal distress".
I used to drink tea many years ago. Mainly, in the afternoon and evenings.

I am ready to throw the tea in the harbor. Anyone, else?
(subliminal metaphor, here, Y'all ...)

Coffee all the way for me. I absolutely detest tea. The taste, even the smell.
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: