• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

B&S Chalenger I and I ??

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrew.baxter@mac.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the model number is on the bell. You are correct that a Challenger 1 is labelled as 3137 and a Challenger 2 as 3137/2.

The numbers on the valve casing are actually irrelevant to anything. They are not even the serial number of the instrument - it is printed on the lead pipe, close to the mouthpiece.

Hope this helps.

B&S 3138/2 Bb
B&S 3137/2 Bb
B&S 3143/2 Bb
B&S 3137 Bb
B&S EXB eXquisite
B&S 3136/2 C
B&S 3116/2 Eb
B&S 3117JH Eb
B&S 3131/2 Bb/A Piccolo
B&S 3141/2 Cornet
B&S 3145 Flugel
invisiblehand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrew.baxter@mac.com wrote:
No, the model number is on the bell. You are correct that a Challenger 1 is labelled as 3137 and a Challenger 2 as 3137/2.

The numbers on the valve casing are actually irrelevant to anything. They are not even the serial number of the instrument - it is printed on the lead pipe, close to the mouthpiece.

Hope this helps.

Very helpful. Thanks.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the differences between the lead pipes between the I and II, a well known repairman in the States said, "It is the same lead pipe mandrel just made out of a different material."

B&S hold their cards tightly to their chest, so they haven't come out and said what all of the differences are between the I and II. If you read the previous post from Buffet Crampon USA, it sounds like they are the same horn, but obviously, they aren't. I base that on the many opinions that I have read saying that the II is the better horn, and also the higher price. I haven't tried a Challenger II but I have a I and don't play it anymore. I am back to playing a Bach 37. The blow is just too tight for me on the I. OTOH, the blow was tight on my Bach 37 as well, until I changed the lead pipe.

Just as an aside, and this might seem strange, but being a Bach copy, you would think that the parts would be interchangeable. Nope, nothing is interchangeable between Bach and B&S.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: