• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Sovereign problems again

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
RandyTX wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
I hate Denis Wick rims...

Indeed. You have a lot of company on that score. I've said here before that I think that if somebody (preferably Mark Curry, but anyone would do) would take a Wick cornet mouthpiece, scan it, and put a decent rim on it, they'd break sales records.

Sounds like a great idea, and I wonder why no one has done it. Would it require permission from Denis Wick? This however doesn't seem to be the case with other mouthpiece copies, or are there rules about producing a modified copies.

Take Care

Lou

I am not aware of any legal protections for mouthpiece designs. Unless Wick has patented their mouthpiece designs (unlikely) I think they can be copied, just as you point out happens so often with other mouthpiece models. I think somebody just needs to think the market is big enough to justify it. My suspicion is the Brass Banding / cornet mouthpiece market just isn't big enough for anyone to bother.
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
Dale, it looks like we have a new contender for "most variability in manufacture" for mouthpieces. Maybe Wick is the new Bach in this category?

It seems to be pretty accepted that there was a systematic change in the shank sizing, and the rim shapes, at some point in the past. Admittedly it's not obvious what the reasoning behind the changes was so you could argue that in reality it's no different to random manufacturing variation... I would say though that on the whole Wick are a lot more consistent than Bach.

Mike
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
The Wick 3 was a scaled up version of the 4. The 2 was a separate design. Originally the models were 2,4 and 7.

Hi GordonH

Thank you very much. I always think that there is a mistake with the Wick mouthpieces on the Kanstul mouthpiece comparator, as the Wick 2 and 3 look to be virtually the same, with the 3 being a fraction larger than the 2 in terms of cup diameter, which is surely not right.

Since either the Wick 2 or 3 is atypical on the Kanstul comparator, how please does the Wick 2 differ from the 3 and 4?

Also, was the 7 renamed as the 5, or was it even smaller?

Many Thanks

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
I'll throw this into the mix again...

The first pic is a Wick 4B I bought 5 or 6 years ago from Dillon Music. It didn't insert into my receiver as far as any of my other cornet mouthpieces. The insertion depth difference was significant.

The second pic is a NOS Wick 4 I bought on eBay last November. The packaging appeared to be pretty old, but I have no idea how old the mouthpiece really is. It inserts much farther into the receiver, and matches the depth of my other mouthpieces. The horn (a large bore Bach 184) plays great with it, and the rim is also more comfortable than the 4B.

Hi Dale

Thank you very much for sharing.

I do believe that this is a deliberate design change. I used to have an older DW3B, which differed in insertion amount from a modern DW3B, in the way that you show. I found that the modern insertion amount is a better match to my buffet crampon Sovereign, and sold my older one.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
Dale, it looks like we have a new contender for "most variability in manufacture" for mouthpieces. Maybe Wick is the new Bach in this category?

Hi RandyTX

My understanding is that Denis Wick used to make two shank sizes, the standard like Dale's NOS one, and a larger shank, designated L on the mouthpiece somewhere (I'm not sure where). My understanding is that at some point and for some reason, the larger shank became the standard.

The following from GordonH's ( http://www.ecalpemos.org/2012/08/my-definitive-guide-to-sovereign-cornet.html ), talks about this:

Long vs Short Receiver
All sovereign cornets were supplied with a Denis Wick mouthpiece. If you try a modern Wick mouthpiece in an older Sovereign cornet you will see that it sticks out further than an older Wick mouthpiece does. This may just be a coincidence, but the theory is that at some point Wick introduced mouthpieces with the suffix “L” meaning “large”. These had a fractionally larger taper. In the 1990’s Boosey & Hawkes seem to have changed their cornet mouthpiece receiver to this new, longer, size and Wick may have adjusted theirs to suit. The longer receiver may have been to accommodate the engraving of the Besson name. Whatever happened, the older instruments do seem to work better with the older style Wick mouthpieces.

In the 1990s (or thereabouts), there were definitely changes made to the Sovereign. The microbor valves with external valve springs were replaced with internal valve springs, the mouthpiece receiver was made longer and engraved with Besson, the serial number moved (from memory, from either underneath the leadpipe or bell, somewhere around the valve block anyhow, to below the bell marking) and the bell engraving changed slightly.

I am not sure whether the shank dimension of the Denis Wick mouthpieces changed at around the same time.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
RandyTX wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
I hate Denis Wick rims...

Indeed. You have a lot of company on that score. I've said here before that I think that if somebody (preferably Mark Curry, but anyone would do) would take a Wick cornet mouthpiece, scan it, and put a decent rim on it, they'd break sales records.

Sounds like a great idea, and I wonder why no one has done it. Would it require permission from Denis Wick? This however doesn't seem to be the case with other mouthpiece copies, or are there rules about producing a modified copies.

Take Care

Lou

I am not aware of any legal protections for mouthpiece designs. Unless Wick has patented their mouthpiece designs (unlikely) I think they can be copied, just as you point out happens so often with other mouthpiece models. I think somebody just needs to think the market is big enough to justify it. My suspicion is the Brass Banding / cornet mouthpiece market just isn't big enough for anyone to bother.

Hi RandyTX

Thank you very much for clarifying this.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Louise Finch"]
RandyTX wrote:
In the 1990’s Boosey & Hawkes seem to have changed their cornet mouthpiece receiver to this new, longer, size and Wick may have adjusted theirs to suit. The longer receiver may have been to accommodate the engraving of the Besson name. [/i]

And people wonder why these instruments have such a poor reputation out there in reality-land?

The sensible option is to simply not play a Sovereign cornet. Play what works. (like a xeno... or Schilke)

It has been proven time and again that great players sound like themselves, regardless of what instrument they are playing on. This is so like those who think only a Bach 229/25H C trumpet can be successfully used in an orchestra. Sitting next to one on Saturday night (and he is a WONDERFUL player) we blended quite well. I will not use a Bach trumpet, and not one person complained, threw cabbages, or even walked out in a dignified huff. (Dan even complimented the sound I was making... magnificent was the word used: he may have been delirious, of course!)

If I ever get back to the UK Lou, I will front up at your band with a Schilke C cornet hidden in a cloth sack and make it blend, guaranteed. The mutterings will only occur once the sack is removed.

I will of course not say who I am, just in case someone remembers... so be very suspicious of Aussie cornet players who say their name is Punjab, Running Bear, Crocodile Bruce or the like...

cheers

Andy
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
GordonH wrote:
The Wick 3 was a scaled up version of the 4. The 2 was a separate design. Originally the models were 2,4 and 7.

Hi GordonH

Thank you very much. I always think that there is a mistake with the Wick mouthpieces on the Kanstul mouthpiece comparator, as the Wick 2 and 3 look to be virtually the same, with the 3 being a fraction larger than the 2 in terms of cup diameter, which is surely not right.

Since either the Wick 2 or 3 is atypical on the Kanstul comparator, how please does the Wick 2 differ from the 3 and 4?

Many Thanks

Lou

From my observation of recent 2 and 3 mouthpieces the 2 has a wider feeling rim, but is smaller - not much in it though. The 2 has more room in the bottom of the cup and a bigger throat.

The 7 was smaller than the 5 and had a very wide rim. I think it was aimed at people moving off more old fashioned mouthpieces.
I think there may have been a 6 at some point. I have a scan of a very old wick brochuire at home on my ipad. Will dig it out tonight.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
brassjunky
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you could be trying out mouthpieces for ever trying to improve the Sovereign cornet. One of the solo cornet players in my brass band has tried out many different mouthpieces and still uses a carefully worked out system of alternate fingerings to get decent intonation. I sometimes wonder if the shaky intonation in the band is due to the fact that so many play Sovereign instruments. Of course, the good players can keep them in tune, most of the time. Some of the players would be lucky to afford to buy one professional level instrument in their playing career and when they get a Sovereign because that is supposedly the gold standard, they have to make it work.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brassjunky wrote:
I think you could be trying out mouthpieces for ever trying to improve the Sovereign cornet. One of the solo cornet players in my brass band has tried out many different mouthpieces and still uses a carefully worked out system of alternate fingerings to get decent intonation. I sometimes wonder if the shaky intonation in the band is due to the fact that so many play Sovereign instruments. Of course, the good players can keep them in tune, most of the time. Some of the players would be lucky to afford to buy one professional level instrument in their playing career and when they get a Sovereign because that is supposedly the gold standard, they have to make it work.

If I test my Yamaha with someone else holding a tuner every note is practically spot on other than the usual D and E (requiring triggers) and the top A which also needs triggered (and is caused apparently by the way one of the triggers is soldered right on a node point). Having an instrument that wants to play in tune is a huge help in a brass band.

Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Andy Del"]
Louise Finch wrote:
RandyTX wrote:
In the 1990’s Boosey & Hawkes seem to have changed their cornet mouthpiece receiver to this new, longer, size and Wick may have adjusted theirs to suit. The longer receiver may have been to accommodate the engraving of the Besson name. [/i]

And people wonder why these instruments have such a poor reputation out there in reality-land?

The sensible option is to simply not play a Sovereign cornet. Play what works. (like a xeno... or Schilke)

Hi Andy

Thank you very much. You mention Schilke cornets a fair amount, but I have never seen one in a British brass band. I'm sure that they are a very nice cornet, but I'd be interested in hearing from other British Brass Banders regarding how well the Schilke cornet is accepted in a British Brass Band setting, and whether it has a reputation like my Bach 184, as having the wrong type of sound.

It has been proven time and again that great players sound like themselves, regardless of what instrument they are playing on.

I totally agree.

This is so like those who think only a Bach 229/25H C trumpet can be successfully used in an orchestra. Sitting next to one on Saturday night (and he is a WONDERFUL player) we blended quite well. I will not use a Bach trumpet, and not one person complained, threw cabbages, or even walked out in a dignified huff. (Dan even complimented the sound I was making... magnificent was the word used: he may have been delirious, of course!)

I do truly largely agree with you, but I have a feeling, a feeling that is all, I don't actually know, that there is a greater variation in the sound between different makes and models of cornet, than different C trumpets. I really like my Bach 184ML, but it does sound more like a trumpet than a Sovereign or Xeno.

If I ever get back to the UK Lou, I will front up at your band with a Schilke C cornet hidden in a cloth sack and make it blend, guaranteed. The mutterings will only occur once the sack is removed.

I am very sure that you could make it blend. I can make my Bach 184ML blend fine. It is however harder however when you have a solo and the conductor expects and wants a certain sound. However hard I tried, I couldn't get a British Brass band cornet sound out of my Bach 184ML. Deeper mouthpieces just seemed to make it sound like a flugel, as if I had put a Curry TF cup in my trumpet. Maybe that was me. I also think that playing is easier if you don't have to work so hard to blend in the section. I play a duet with another player, and playing the second part, it is easier to match his sound with my Xeno than my Bach 184ML.

Regarding appearance, since I only play in local brass bands, no one would probably query a cornet that looks like a cornet on its appearance alone. I wouldn't be surprised if with them not being very common I don't believe in the UK, and similar in size to a Bb cornet, that not many people would notice if you played a cornet in C (obviously correctly transposing the parts).

I will of course not say who I am, just in case someone remembers... so be very suspicious of Aussie cornet players who say their name is Punjab, Running Bear, Crocodile Bruce or the like...

I'll look out for an Aussie cornet player with an odd name

cheers

Andy

Take Care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
GordonH wrote:

Hi GordonH

Many Thanks

Lou

From my observation of recent 2 and 3 mouthpieces the 2 has a wider feeling rim, but is smaller - not much in it though. The 2 has more room in the bottom of the cup and a bigger throat.

Hi GordonH

Thank you very much. If I understand correctly, are you saying that the cup diameter of the 2 is smaller than the 3 by a small amount? If this is the case, then maybe Kanstul have scanned a typical DW2 and 3.

The 7 was smaller than the 5 and had a very wide rim. I think it was aimed at people moving off more old fashioned mouthpieces.
I think there may have been a 6 at some point.

Thank you very much also for the above.

I have a scan of a very old wick brochuire at home on my ipad. Will dig it out tonight.

That would be really appreciated, if it wouldn't be too much trouble.

Take Care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to bring it in!

I meant that the current 3 feels larger than the older ones.
I have lots to compare in the band hall.
usual junk of years!

Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brassjunky wrote:
I think you could be trying out mouthpieces for ever trying to improve the Sovereign cornet. One of the solo cornet players in my brass band has tried out many different mouthpieces and still uses a carefully worked out system of alternate fingerings to get decent intonation.

Hi brassjunky

This is unbelievable, with a modern professional Bb cornet with both 1st and 3rd triggers. My Xeno cornet has a very even response in all registers and excellent intonation. I haven't played my Sovereign enough to really get to grips with its intonation quirks, but it doesn't seem to be very even in response.

I sometimes wonder if the shaky intonation in the band is due to the fact that so many play Sovereign instruments.

Maybe

Of course, the good players can keep them in tune, most of the time.

But, they shouldn't require more effort than other cornets.

Some of the players would be lucky to afford to buy one professional level instrument in their playing career and when they get a Sovereign because that is supposedly the gold standard, they have to make it work.

Yes, that could very well be the case.

Take Care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
Forgot to bring it in!

Hi GordonH

No worries.

usual junk of years!

I think I understand. Are you saying that the modern 3 is bigger than an older 2?

How typical do you think that scans of the Wick 2 and 3 are on the Kanstul comparator?

Take Care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
GordonH wrote:
Forgot to bring it in!

Hi GordonH

No worries.

usual junk of years!

I think I understand. Are you saying that the modern 3 is bigger than an older 2?

How typical do you think that scans of the Wick 2 and 3 are on the Kanstul comparator?

Take Care

Lou

I think the modern 2 is fractionally bigger than the modern 3. The 2 has a wider rim slightly. The Kanstul scans look pretty close.

My guess is that when production came back in house to Denis Wick's own factory they made CNC models based on older versions.

Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
GordonH wrote:
Forgot to bring it in!

Hi GordonH

No worries.

usual junk of years!

Take Care

Lou

I think the modern 2 is fractionally bigger than the modern 3. The 2 has a wider rim slightly. The Kanstul scans look pretty close.

Hi Gordon H

Thank you very much for clarifying this.

My guess is that when production came back in house to Denis Wick's own factory they made CNC models based on older versions.

Sounds reasonable.

Take care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I do not have the whole brochure, but this may be of interest.

GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a web page which tells you all about Tommy Wilson:

http://londoncitadelband.on.ca/tommy_wilson_bio.htm

"In the early 1970’s I was asked by Denis Wick if I would help him develop a cornet mouthpiece – and the rest, as they say, is history. It was also round about this time I was asked by Boosey & Hawkes if I would help in the development of a new cornet for them. After a lot of hard work the first large bore Sovereign cornet was born. I still play the original prototype. It’s still going strong after over 30 years. It was stamped No. 1, (which causes the customs people more than a little curiosity when London Citadel Band goes on trips)."

Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
Unfortunately I do not have the whole brochure, but this may be of interest.

Hi GordonH

Thank you very much for this, which I found very interesting.

If you have the original, would you mind just posting what the bottom of the cornet page says, as it is missed off the bottom of the photo. Many thanks.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: