• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

FAVORITE PRO TRUMPET BRANDS

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which brand do you prefer for professional trumpets?
Yamaha
15%
 15%  [ 18 ]
Bach
22%
 22%  [ 27 ]
Jupiter
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Conn
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Other
59%
 59%  [ 71 ]
Total Votes : 120

hb2014

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: FAVORITE PRO TRUMPET BRANDS Reply with quote

What are your favorite brands for professional level trumpets?

Let me know in a comment or in the poll.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my favorite brand is the one that you are going to sell in the marketplace after five meaningless posts!

http://highdefinitionbigband.com
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite brand of professional trumpet/flugelhorn/cornet is, as everyone who has been on TH for awhile expects, Flip Oakes Wild Thing.

Here are the reasons:

1) I have never played any individual instrument, at his shop or in the field, that was not an outstanding player. The only example I can cite was Rex Merriweather's very early trumpet that had not received its Total Enhancement. That was done for free when Rex brought it down to Flip.

2) All of Flip's designs play to his liking, so it doesn't matter which instrument you buy, if you like one, you will like them all.

In other words, if you have sampled a Wild Thing instrument somewhere and liked it, you can buy any new instrument without trying it first and be confident you are going to like it just as much or more.

3) Flip's customer service is as legendary as his instruments. If you do have a problem (even buyers of used WT instruments will tell you) with one of his instruments, Flip is committed to putting it right. I did have an email conversation with one disgruntled customer, but that customer would only converse using a pseudonym and never actually did anything either Flip or I recommended to get his issues (used horn purchase) resolved. In my thinking, that is one misrepresentation in an otherwise spotless record of customer satisfaction.

4) The sound of his instruments trumps all others, in my opinion. It doesn't matter what sound a player is after, it can be accomplished with a Wild Thing and it will be better than what is achieved with something else. This point can be argued, ad infinitum, but that is the case with virtually every brand. The fact that WT players cite sound almost universally as the top characteristic they love about playing their instrument is significant.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
flugelnovice
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brand and model: Getzen X-13

Vintage King tenor trombone, clunker mpc(?), wick 4.
CalicchioMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:39 am    Post subject: favorite brand Reply with quote

Stomvi!
Pickett Mouthpieces
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen: better build, better valves, better service, better pricing.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
tommy t.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite brand of professional trumpet/flugelhorn/cornet is, as everyone who has been on TH for awhile expects, Flip Oakes Wild Thing.

Here are the reasons:

1) I have never played any individual instrument, at his shop or in the field, that was not an outstanding player. The only example I can cite was Rex Merriweather's very early trumpet that had not received its Total Enhancement. That was done for free when Rex brought it down to Flip.

2) All of Flip's designs play to his liking, so it doesn't matter which instrument you buy, if you like one, you will like them all.

In other words, if you have sampled a Wild Thing instrument somewhere and liked it, you can buy any new instrument without trying it first and be confident you are going to like it just as much or more.

3) Flip's customer service is as legendary as his instruments. If you do have a problem (even buyers of used WT instruments will tell you) with one of his instruments, Flip is committed to putting it right. I did have an email conversation with one disgruntled customer, but that customer would only converse using a pseudonym and never actually did anything either Flip or I recommended to get his issues (used horn purchase) resolved. In my thinking, that is one misrepresentation in an otherwise spotless record of customer satisfaction.

4) The sound of his instruments trumps all others, in my opinion. It doesn't matter what sound a player is after, it can be accomplished with a Wild Thing and it will be better than what is achieved with something else. This point can be argued, ad infinitum, but that is the case with virtually every brand. The fact that WT players cite sound almost universally as the top characteristic they love about playing their instrument is significant.

Tommy T.

(Uhh --- by the way: thanks Brian, saved me some time.)
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ONE favorite?? Yeah right...I rotate between
Calicchio, Marcinkiewicz, Benge, Bach, Shilke,
and oh yeah, Yamaha!
cornet74
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your're talking about new horns: Getzen

thank you.
Wick Wooden Tenor Horn Straight Mute
kmag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got a Holton that I am growing very fond of but I would have to say my '41 Conn 22B and my '46 Conn 80A cornet are two horns I will not be parting ways with.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe a standard like Schilke is not on that poll. Shame on you. (I mean, Jupiter yes but Schilke no?)

@Brian - is the Wild Thing really a brand of trumpet, or the results of a set of modifications?

In other words, is this trumpet a Bach, modified by Flip Oaks, and that one a King modified by Flip Oaks, or are they both really pretty much the same (after modification) and no longer characteristically a King or a Bach?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha & Schilke
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I choose individual instruments, and the brand is part of the decision, but not the whole thing. So I respect and appreciate Yamaha, for example, for all of the work they've been doing recently, introducing new Chicago models and new Xenos in several different configurations---they're moving the industry forward.

But that wouldn't stop me from choosing an instrument from another brand if I thought it had a great combination of sound, ease of play and build quality. For example, I stopped by a local dealer to play a bunch of trumpets today, and I was surprised by the quality of models from B&S and Jupiter. I almost didn't bother trying them because of the brands, but I had some time and the dealer was happy to let me play them. I thought they were quite good.

I think it's worth keeping an open mind about brands so we won't miss out on some great instruments.
Piccolo Stomvi
robas92

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Horns Reply with quote

Hello,

It is interesting that Kanstul is not listed?? I mean they only make Callichio, Flip Oakes, French Besson, Zeus, Accent, and their own line of instruments that make outshine all of the Bach and Yamaha instruments. Many professionals have switched to Kanstul, not only for playability reasons, but for quality as well. Bachs are consistently dawgs and Yammies while consistent in manufacture really do not compare. Don't talk to me about core and sound until you have actually played a 1510A C trumpet. It is hands down the BEST orchestral horn for the money. The French Besson Najoom C trumpet runs a close second place. ANYONE worth his salt could see that these horns are just as worthy. You won't be disappointed!!
Kanstul 920 Piccolo
Blessing 154 RT Flugelhorn

Robert A. Smith

--More horns than I can count!!
----------------------
Do, or do not, there is no try!!--Yoda

Last edited by robas92 on Sat May 09, 2015 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thein
Kanstul
Schilke
Scherzer
Schagerl
Galileo
B&S

These are all great makers, some far less common than others, especially in some countries.

Of your choices, Yamaha and Bach I can understand. Jupiter, well that make some great pro models as well, but are not quite there. Conn? I can't go out and buy a fantastic Conn these days, and I have to say, that any time since I started playing, new Conns were not all that good. If you are limiting it to old trumpets, then Yamaha and Jupiter would have to get dropped out, but you would have to add Selmer...

cheers

Andy
Matthew Anklan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powell Signature Trumpets!!
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawler and Getzen are my favorite brands from new companies and Selmer and Conn from the vintage era.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I can't believe a standard like Schilke is not on that poll. Shame on you. (I mean, Jupiter yes but Schilke no?)

@Brian - is the Wild Thing really a brand of trumpet, or the results of a set of modifications?

In other words, is this trumpet a Bach, modified by Flip Oaks, and that one a King modified by Flip Oaks, or are they both really pretty much the same (after modification) and no longer characteristically a King or a Bach?

Each instrument in the Wild Thing line is unique, even before Flip prepares them with his Total Enhancement. The Wild Thing bell is not similar to any traditional Bb bell. The valve section is specially designed and constructed for Flip's instruments. The wrap for his Bb trumpets and flugelhorn are unique to his instruments. He has chosen the design and placement of all braces, water keys, receiver, etc., to give the result he desires.

The Total Enhancement process can (and has) turn a nice instrument into a stunning and compelling player. This is what happened with my recently purchased raw brass/copper flugelhorn. It was sent to me as it came from the Kanstul factory, so that I could coat it with Hands OFF! prior to Flip prepping it. The horn had an interesting sound (I mean really captivating), but didn't settle into notes well. I sent it back to Flip, he worked his magic and sent it back. Now, it has this unique combination of secure accuracy and a lithe, lightness that reminds me of my best moments in a dance choir where my feet just seemed to know what they were doing and my body felt suspended over the stage. "Flow", I think it's called.

When we, his customers, write that his horns are unlike any we've played, we are not overstating our experiences. There is no Kool-Ade.

Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.

Last edited by shofarguy on Mon May 11, 2015 3:56 am; edited 1 time in total
MichaelMcCrary
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vintage Selmer and LeBlanc
Selmer Paris Flugelhorn
Martin Handcrafted Dansant

and a few more
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge and Schilke.

There are a lot of trumpets that play well, so no diss to them intended, these are my current favorites.

-Lionel
https://yourbrass.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: