• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Fultone or Brass Bags double trumpet case

View previous topic :: View next topic  
richarddownunder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Fultone or Brass Bags double trumpet case Reply with quote

Hi - Not sure if this is the place to post this...I'm hoping to buy a new trumpet during upcoming travels to the UK. It doesn't come with a case so I'm on the lookout for a good quality protective case that can be taken on a plane as hand luggage. I was looking at Brass Bags https://www.brassbags.co.uk/premier-bags/double-trumpet-gig-bag.html but they seem a little light on padding to me (in pictures as I haven't seen one in the 'flesh'.

Then I spotted this Fultone gig bag http://fultonebrass.co.uk/trumpet-cases/ft-double-trumpet-case/ which looks good to me, if a bit more expensive.

Wondered if anyone was using these or had other suggestions. I'm not too keen on the Torpedo style and would prefer a case not a tube.

Thanks
Richard
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never touched either. However, a former teacher has the Brass Bags quad. He had horn damage when it was placed in the overhead.

The picture of the other case looks much safer.

When it comes to lightweight cases, I'm a fan of Bags of Spain.
richarddownunder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not too encouraging. On reflection, its hard to tell from the pictures - the photos on the Brass bags site are not so clear but they look clearer on https://www.thomann.de/gb/brass_bags_premier_double_trumpet_bag.htm?sid=5f031f9451cf7221757cf90ed1f41e95 and quite similar to the Fultone one. I'll look up Bags of Spain.
Cheers
Richard
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.musical-bags.com/gb/175-2-trumpets

Probably bigger than you want.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If those full tone bass are not rebadged brass bags, I'll have one for breakfast tomorrow! (but someone will have to buy and send it to me!) Fulltone admit they are made by an outside source.

As a double case to take on as hand luggage, I've had no trouble ever with the Propak Trumpet/Flugel case... ut I would never, ever allow it to be checked. If you want bullet proof, you need something like a custom made Pelican type case.

cheers

Andy
richarddownunder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jerry. The Brass bags site advertises that their bags fit in plane overhead compartments, that is a key thing. I wonder how the damage you mentioned occurred. You'd think a trumpet case would be an easy decision, but things always get complicated when you start to look at them

Cheers
Richard
richarddownunder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, Yes, after closer inspection of better pics, I think they are the same. Do you mean Protec https://www.amazon.com/Trumpet-Rectangular-Storage-Compartment-PB301/dp/B0002D02BM/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_267_bs_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=6XNMGWYXZ2YVTK7Y9CMD . That is a cheaper option or just a Gator case as I have a spare new B&S hard case I could use when I get home (but they weigh a tonne). Just want to get it home without dings!

Cheers
Richard
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richarddownunder wrote:
I wonder how the damage you mentioned occurred....
If I remember what he told me correctly, someone was trying to jam a (hard?) object into the overhead compartment where he had already stored his horns. He was already seated in the window seat away from where he witnessed what was going on but helpless to stop.

When I would meet him for lessons, he would often have that case filled with Bb, C, picc, and something else.

The last time I met him after one of his concerts, he was carrying a Bags of Spain quad. He probably got it at Stomvi in California.

Don't know if that would fit in the overhead, and it's certainly bigger than a straight double case.

Here are some more pictures of the Musical Bags of Spain double+picc: https://www.hornguys.com/collections/trumpet-cases/products/bags-of-spain-2-trumpet-piccolo-case
richarddownunder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry wrote:
richarddownunder wrote:
I wonder how the damage you mentioned occurred....
If I remember what he told me correctly, someone was trying to jam a (hard?) object into the overhead compartment where he had already stored his horns. He was already seated in the window seat away from where he witnessed what was going on but helpless to stop.

When I would meet him for lessons, he would often have that case filled with Bb, C, picc, and something else.

The last time I met him after one of his concerts, he was carrying a Bags of Spain quad. He probably got it at Stomvi in California.

Don't know if that would fit in the overhead, and it's certainly bigger than a straight double case.

Here are some more pictures of the Musical Bags of Spain double+picc: https://www.hornguys.com/collections/trumpet-cases/products/bags-of-spain-2-trumpet-piccolo-case

That would be pretty hard to watch, knowing your instruments were being squashed. Thanks for the link. I'll have to try to find an outlet in the UK as that is where I'll be getting the trumpet. I suppose, although I'd originally discounted them, a Torpedo would be another option. I was never that convinced about pulling a trumpet out by the bell, and the dribbles from the lead pip in the passing in the bottom of the bag, but on the other hand, its a safe way to store an instrument during band breaks rather than a trumpet stand and it wont be squashed!

Cheers
Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: