• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

CBP'ers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scootsky
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a word(s)- PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!! Easy for you to say fellow, now just DO IT.
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok
tromba mann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it should be: "practice like you perform, practice smart and practice often (not long)".

I play in three groups now and I find that I have to be very disciplined to get all the technical stuff done during the week while also preparing music for the groups.
Chia Pet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I come back week after week. I have a semi-steady Jazz duo gig w/ a Bass player at a local coffee shop. We play Jazz standards: med. swing, bossa's, ballads & Original Pieces. The gig is for about an hour and 15 min. then 20-30- min. break back to 1 hour and 15 min. of playing. I don't touch my horn until the gig. On good weeks I'll play 20 min. two days before...
Jazzalive
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't you add get private instruction if at all possible? A little knowledge without guidance could lead to needless spinning of the wheels. That could be okay, or it could be wasteful.
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many posts on getting a good teacher. I'm on record as saying the WORST thing I did in my come back was wait too long before getting a private teacher, allowing all my bad old habits to re-establish themselves. A CB has a great opportunity to start fresh, do it right, taking advantage of all the recent -- and past -- great methods and teachers. Don't waste the chance!

FWIWFM - Don
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. The sooner you get a good teacher the better. You need to research guys a bit and find out which techers produce students that play to the level you want to play to, and make sure your approach and philosophy is compatible with your teacher's. Most of us CBPers are not young anymore, and we just won't put up with crap anymore to get good instruction when we can get good instruction from someone we get along with. I have been very happy with Pops.

Blaine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: