• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouth corners "rule"?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shaolin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: Mouth corners "rule"? Reply with quote

Hi All -- Look at this video of Adam Rapa, starting at about 0:47, where his embouchure is viewed in close up. Unless I am wrong (I often am!), he is pulling his mouth corners back, smile-like, as he ascends to his (outstanding!) upper register. Doc and Dave always taught me "mouth corners down and forward." Is Adam an exception to this "rule," or am I missing something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QROeFJHOco
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He does what obviously works for him. I've seen him do this before but it doesn't appear to affect the center of his chops where the action is.

It's best not to question methods of the highly successful. We've had too much of that on TH recently.

Kent
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
He does what obviously works for him. I've seen him do this before but it doesn't appear to affect the center of his chops where the action is.

It's best not to question methods of the highly successful. We've had too much of that on TH recently.

Kent

lolololololo

now that was funny !!!

regards

tom
shaolin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not questioning the successful, but seeking knowledge to help me, the less successful!
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just don't call it a "Protocol" and you should be fine !!!

tom
Paul T.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be curious to see what he sounds like if he eliminates that mouthcorner stretch...

When you see a player make an adjustment that happens only in the very extreme part of their range, I'd always question whether it's necessary or proper. My feeling is that Reinhardt wanted us all to play our full range using the same set of techniques, making all physical changes continuous from the top of the horn to the bottom and vice-versa.
cbclead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be totally wrong here (the movement does seem a little drastic) but it may just be a result of what Adam does inside his mouth. As oxleyk says, it doesn't appear to affect the center of his embouchure.

I believe it's in the Monette video where Adam is giving a lesson to Natalie Dungey where he talks about the tongue controlling the note. If I remember correctly, he talks about "tasting" the note" and have a specific "mouth" for each note (I think he says "Double C mouth"). His corner movement could just be how his facial structure is responding to the changes inside the mouth, rather than pulling the corners to stretch the embouchure.
Kanstul 920 Bb/A Piccolo Trumpet
Jumel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always find it inspiring to see someone that good play so relaxed... and how his conversation was based on the sound!
Boston 3 Star Cornet (1904)
Getzen 580 Cornet (1973)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: