• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

range

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zentrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: range Reply with quote

First, I am a little saddened to see that my post from Sep, 2014 is on the first page of posts that came up when I opened the BE forum. Not enough new topics.

Second...Oh yeah! Played up to double high E just now! I got into BE because I wanted to fix my broken, pressure-based embouchure. Jeff's method made sense to me and I took a leap of faith. Needed to experience success with it myself to truly believe, but I was going nowhere doing what I was doing, so off the cliff I jumped.

That was in 2005. Ten years ago. But 20 years of doing it wrong takes time to correct. I realized that if I could straighten things out, not only tone and endurance, but range, had the potential to improve. I am not where I want to be yet, but I have seen serious improvement.

My personal bugaboo was range. That's what bothered me the most, although I fell (and continue to fall) short in many areas. And of course, practice room range is often different from performance range. As my practice room is usually in areas of the house that are quite audible to other areas (because I am too lazy to walk downstairs), my wife and kids were often less than appreciative of my enthusiasm...but they tolerated it. Tomorrow is Mother's Day. Maybe that will be my gift to her. To not pick up the trumpet. Within earshot.

Rant concluded. Slings and arrows of outrageous ridicule gratefully accepted.
Scodwell Trumpet #118
Yamaha Xeno Cornet
Yamaha YFH6310Z Flugelhorn
AndrewS
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: range Reply with quote

zentrumpet wrote:
And of course, practice room range is often different from performance range. As my practice room is usually in areas of the house that are quite audible to other areas (because I am too lazy to walk downstairs), my wife and kids were often less than appreciative of my enthusiasm...but they tolerated it.

Both sentences relate to "practice room" but I still failed to see a connection between range and your relatives not appreciating your enthusiasm.
I assume that your practice room range is better than your performance range so would it make a difference if your wife appreciated your enthusiasm (then I guess your performance range would surpass or be equal to your practice range)?

Anyway, congrats on your double high E, I can't get it even in the practice room after more than 10 years of doing BE!
So what's your performance range?
txtrumpetguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree it's sad that hardly anyone posts in here anymore. It's like a ghost town. It's especially sad for me because I am barely 3 months into BE and it would be great to discuss BE issues with folks who are still jazzed about it and also with those who are roughly at the same experience level as me. Oh well, I will keep doing the exercises and hope to see slow, steady progress over the years.
zentrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, keep it up!
Scodwell Trumpet #118
Yamaha Xeno Cornet
Yamaha YFH6310Z Flugelhorn
trumpetplanet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this forum, like the Callet one, isn't as sparse as it looks. There are plenty of people checking in, just not always posting!!

https://neotericbrass.com/
https://trumpetpla.net/
https://tonguecontrolled.info/
Bert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a lot over the years, as did Ko De Rooij (Larrios), Valerie, Jeff himself and a lot of other knowledgeable people. For myself it felt like I was repeating myself after five or more years. All, or a great deal at least, has been said. Look at the topics and browse through the answers. You might just find the perspective you are looking for. And you can still always send mails to Jeff, Ko, Valerie or me, or anyone else you would like to ask something specific about BE.

Cheers, Bert
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bert wrote:
Look at the topics and browse through the answers. You might just find the perspective you are looking for.

That's why you're hardly going to find any threads started by me. I feel it's a courtesy to always check existing threads first, before asking a redundant question and then expecting the same good folks who took the time earlier to give their best input, to turn around and do it again just because I expect everything to be handed to me.

Maybe others feel the same, and also don't regularly and actively post, as mentioned above. Just because there's not much activity doesn't mean, well, there's not much activity.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
AndrewS
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day when I started doing BE I was lucky to see the forum thriving.
It gave me hope that I am not alone in my pursuit and I was feeding on the success stories of the BE veterans.
I wonder if the people who just joined BE ranks feel the same way.
Yes, all (or most stuff) has been said about BE (hey, it's all in the book!), but as humans we are seeking confirmation that what we do and feel is real.
We can only get this confirmation when another human being tells us "Yep, I've been there before, here is how I fixed it".
So I totally agree that one must look up stuff before asking.
But on the other hand I'd like to see some activity going just for the heck of it
Right, I prefer to spend time on the trumpet rather than forums as well.
txtrumpetguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still trying to go through all of the posts to gain additional information and inspiration. There are almost 2000 topics and over 16,000 posts, which is quite a lot, so you know people are into even if posts have slowed recently. That's quite a few more than any of the other devoted technique topic categories. Whenever I feel crummy about my playing and feel like BE isn't helping as quickly as I would like, I come back here and read success stories and find my encouragement again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: