• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How to tighten up the abs more?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet_bob_silver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: How to tighten up the abs more? Reply with quote

My abs feel stretched out. I noticed it while running. Trumpet playing definitely stretches them out.

Previously I've done crunches or sit ups. Maybe I'm not doing as many this time.... There have been times after doing ab and torso/"core" exercises I could really tell there was a tighter, nicer feel to my abs.

Add in that I'm pretty certain I've got diastasis recti going on. (Abs slightly separated, right in the middle, center where I'd push for trumpet.) I was paying very close attention to that while doing crunches, etc. for exercise so that's why I did less. I'm king of wondering what happens if I pushed that too much, ie if something like a hernia would ever happen. I'd rather not find out. It's the uncontrolled puff out that really doesn't seem like a good thing or something to push while exercising.

So... Any good ab or torso exercises? It feels like the lower part of my abs doesn't firm back up with its own tension like it was. It's more like I have to manually control the abs to keep them in their normal place.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You ask for advice in a funny place for fitness expertise. Why do you think a bunch of people who share an interest in trumpets will give you good advice?

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! my first reaction is that you MUST be pushing way too hard when playing the trumpet. Firm support, not pushing. You're not lifting a car or blowing up a truck tire nor crapping a baseball.. If you're running, even a moderate amount, you have more than enough fitness to play the trumpet.

I'd first suggest some breathing work with someone.. a singing approach - my personal best with a trained opera singer.

Then physically, a wide variety of inclusive exercises.. balanced fitness not body building. Planks!
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear the words of the master:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQJBgzgn_3o
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you blow, you suck! - Pandolfi
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Jacobs sure loved him some 7th cranial nerve. The dichotomy he discusses at the beginning of the video has always fascinated me. I think he's absolutely correct, but if you think about it too hard, it kind of fizzles away.

I'm not sure if I fully understand what's being described in the OP, but I'm pretty sure a healthy dose of Jacobs will cure it. Wasn't it Jacobs that would jab his hand into his (not so fit) belly and say "weakness is your friend?"
take2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOlds wrote:
If you blow, you suck! - Pandolfi

That is a great video. Watch the next next Pandolfi video too - the "live" interview. Awesome stuff and funny.
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Side deltoid raises. 5 pound weight, 8 pound weight, 10 pound weight and size you want to go in each arm hanging down lower one arm at a time. Eight reps alternate sides.

Sit ups with a 10 or 25 pound weight plate,do it in reps if you want.

Reverse sit up's lifting your legs in the air.

Trunk twists holding a dumbbell vertically with both hands in your midsection and going left eight reps then right eight reps. Repeat as needed.

Some workouts to do three sets of the same weight then increasing then three more reps of a higher weight then three more reps of a higher weight and then be done with that exercise.

There are other ab workouts. I like to do one ab work out a week. They can take a lot of beating so you can do more than one work out for the abs a week though.

As far as using the abs for compression with playing the trumpet. I pulled them inward just like Clint Mclaughlin showed me about 16 years ago. I do this on Notes for G above the staff and higher.

I noticed that when I do not bring in my abs, sometimes a note requires a little more compression from a different source. Lip compression or tongue arc.

Bringing in the abs can also Aid in lip slurs as you ascend to avoid unwanted partials in between which is also something that Clint Mclaughlin advocates.

I have never really felt like my abs stretch since I do not stick my belly out when I play. However if any of that helps, then that's cool.

UPDATE: after reading what you mean below. I agree that there is a slight expansion inside of my abs as the lungs expand. It is very slight and as I am not tender or recovering from any sort of injury {being ins shape in other words} It is almost unnoticeable except when I focused on it just now after reading what you meant and examining it as I breathed for a few breathes.
Happy trumpeting

Last edited by Shaft on Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
trumpet_bob_silver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the exercises are more what I'm looking for. I'm thinking anything ab-related will probably do it given some time.

When I take a deep breath, the abs move outward. Lead with the abs. I don't see a way around that.

They're all (whole torso, front and back) probably on the tighter side since I haven't been stretching.

It dawned on me today that it's the back too. I eased off that with the 'crick in my back' thing happening.

More of everything probably. It's better today, but it's kind of annoying to have abs that feel stretched out or to have to consciously tighten them. They've definitely felt better before.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no substitute for core strength! It's the foundation of everything else we do.

I do the P90X "Ab Ripper X" workout 2-3 times a week, and let me tell you, if you keep that up you'll have the abs you dreamed of in no time.
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The role of the abs is to firm the belly, a sixpack sure looks great doesnt it.

But strong abs make for a firm belly that is less flexible. With strong abs I can withstand a punch to my belly.

Strength in the abs make solidity but singing and trumpet playing depend upon a belly that is not solid. The belly must be free to expand in a relaxed way. Why strengthen something that needs to be relaxed.

You already have observed this when you say that during play the abs feel stretched out. That is because trumpet playing stretches the abs and needs them to expand with the belly, strengthening your abs will stop your natural and correct abs stretching and limit your playing.

Stronger abs stop the movement of the belly which is needed for deep breathing. Deep breathing is a good thing not a bad thing in trumpet playing.

I believe that abs strengthening is the biggest mistake you can make your abs are already strong you dont want them stronger.

Great abs mean poor breathing.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strength and flexibility are not complete opposites.
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flexibility is describing joints where bones articulate, I see no joints in the belly or six pack.

I would disagree that strength and flexibility can easily sit together. As muscles develop and muscle-mass increases flexibility is not generally affected, however it has been found that excessive muscle development inhibits flexibility.

Look at many body builders who have great muscle development but have difficulty walking. They become strung up and flexibility is lost. In extreme cases the muscles become unable to relax and stay tense this is the classic muscle bound state. Everything is tense. Tension in trumpet playing is in my view counter to what is desired.

In the case of a six pack the muscle bulking that happens when you go from a developed six pack to a very well defined six pack makes it difficult for those muscles to stretch which is exactly the problem that over developed body builders face when they cant walk properly due to over bulky muscles.

Its all about muscle elongation. bulky muscles cannot easily elongate and yet trumpet playing needs the six pack muscles to elongate. Ipso facto over development of the six pack inhibits trumpet playing.

It is not at all about flexibility it is about muscle elongation that reduces with muscle bulking.

If I may offer an example. take several breaths. Now tense those abs so they are rigid. Now holding those abs rigid and tense place your hand on your abs and then breathe in and out several times as fully as possible while keeping the abs tense,

Now relax those abs and breathe in and out deeply. In my case I find that tense abs reduces dramatically my ability to breathe in. I expect you to have the same result.

Question do we need to breathe in fully when trumpet playing.
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know - I am in shape but don't have a six pack, maybe now I don't want one.
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
Strength and flexibility are not complete opposites.

In complete agreement. But those with a literal bias, who attempt to analyze it from the level of tissue and ligaments, may not be able to fathom it.

Jeff
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also thought about the remark about six pack abs limiting breathing.....

Olympians and other athletes don't seem to suffer from their hard abs with deficiencies of the lungs' ability to fuel the body with big breathes or oxygen.

Not sure that I agree with the remark on that earlier.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How to tighten up the abs more? Reply with quote

trumpet_bob_silver wrote:
My abs feel stretched out. I noticed it while running. Trumpet playing definitely stretches them out.

Add in that I'm pretty certain I've got diastasis recti going on. (Abs slightly separated, right in the middle, center where I'd push for trumpet.) I was paying very close attention to that while doing crunches, etc. for exercise so that's why I did less. I'm king of wondering what happens if I pushed that too much, ie if something like a hernia would ever happen. I'd rather not find out. It's the uncontrolled puff out that really doesn't seem like a good thing or something to push while exercising.

Wooooaaaahhhhh. When you say you 'push' what do you mean? That you are pushing the stomach area outwards while blowing? If so, stop that immediately.

The body works quite simply. When you breath in, things expand, when you breath out, things contract. Trumpet playing simply adds energy to the out breath by contracting with more energy than is normally used for everyday activities.
If you defy the body by pushing out the stomach while exhaling you are blowing air in a fundamentally damaging way. You are relying on the flaccid elasticity of the abdominal wall to hold your guts in while the press up against them. This how people get hernias. Please don't do this unless you have very good medical insurance and you want to spend 6 months recovering from hernia surgery.

"tssss" really vigorously and loudly and observe how the abdominals engage in contracting inwards. Because they are active/engaged, they have a lot more strength which prevents hernias.

If you feel our gut is flopping out while you run, it's because your upper body posture is totally collapsed. Lift your chest up and pull your shoulders back and look directly ahead, not down at the ground.

Get a PT to teach you some running technique, and when playing, remember, when exhaling, you must left the abdominals engage inwards.
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont understand the confusion that many seem to have about what I have said.

When I say "As muscles develop and muscle-mass increases flexibility is not generally affected, however it has been found that excessive muscle development inhibits flexibility." That means that you can develop muscles and have no issues with flexibility. Thats what "flexibility is not generally affected" means.

So why are some people saying that I am opposed to muscle development are we not speaking the same language.

I said that over development of the abs will limit the ability of them to stretch.

I do not believe that runners and other track athletes build massively huge muscles and those that try to do that will be told by their coaches to stop. Arnold Schwarzenegger would not have made a good track athlete.

It looks to me like the OP is going down the road of body building and the abs are an area he is working on. It seems that well developed abs are not enough for some people but they feel the bigger the abs the better, and I question that belief.

Muscle development is good for health and performance in any activity, but you can go too far. When does it stop.

Personally I choose to wait until orchestras start employing players on the basis of their rippling muscles before I start body building.
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bflatman wrote:
I dont understand the confusion that many seem to have about what I have said.

When I say "As muscles develop and muscle-mass increases flexibility is not generally affected, however it has been found that excessive muscle development inhibits flexibility." That means that you can develop muscles and have no issues with flexibility. Thats what "flexibility is not generally affected" means.

Except, you left out your preface to the above quote, which flavored the whole thing with a bias that maybe you didn't intend - "I would disagree that strength and flexibility can easily sit together."

On the contrary, strength and flexibility go hand in hand. Of course, as in all things, there needs to be a balance. I don't know if the OP is overemphasizing muscular development or not. If so, then your words are reasonable.

Jeff
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Six-pack abs are more a function of body fat than muscle.

2. Things that improve your overall health will probably good for your trumpet playing. At the minimum, it lets you play for more years.

3. Anything that encourages a muscular approach to the trumpet, whether with the lips or the blowing muscles, tends to make playing more difficult.

4. Too much conscious manipulation of any muscles involved in blowing tends to be detrimental to trumpet playing, particularly when the muscles are engaging in opposition to the expiration of the air.

5. Great players come in all shapes and sizes - what's between your ears is the most important part.

6. Great athletes aren't always the most fit looking - aesthetics and performance can be in opposition at times.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: