• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Unusual cornets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SABRASSO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject: Unusual cornets Reply with quote

I have an old cornet that I was given by an elderly American friend some years ago. It was made by Beuscher, but to a design by a guy called David Hamblen. It has compensating valves and, according to my repairer, is beautifully made. Anyone else heard of anything like this, or got any unusual instruments?[/img]
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besson made compensating cornets. They sell for quite large amounts these days.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boosey probably made more of them than anyone, but the compensating system never seems to have caught on. Buescher didn't make an official compensating model that I know of, so yours could be a custom or a prototype that never got repeated.

I have a Meredith "open tone" cornet which is another unusual system - even when valves are up the air goes through a curved tube (out and back into the same valve). It makes the resistance more uniform across the fingerings. Unfortunately it makes an instrument I would called "closed tone", there is too much resistance. But its interesting to play and you definitely do appreciate the consistent resistance which gives a more uniform tone across fingerings.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Unusual cornets Reply with quote

SABRASSO wrote:
I have an old cornet that I was given by an elderly American friend some years ago. It was made by Beuscher, but to a design by a guy called David Hamblen. It has compensating valves and, according to my repairer, is beautifully made. Anyone else heard of anything like this, or got any unusual instruments?[/img]

I would guess you're referring to the Buescher Epoch cornet?

http://metzlerbrass.com/resources/Epoch+ad.jpg

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
SABRASSO

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting but the one I have has several slides on each valve and a complex system of airways. I'll try to post a picture.
jrpbrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:27 am    Post subject: Hamblen design Reply with quote

I know this is an old post but I just read up on David Hamblen and his patent #1,222,285 from 1917. Perhaps Buescher built a prototype for him? I would love to see photos of it. Probably a true compensating design quite different from the Epoch.
DonaldsTrumpets

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject: So many horns, so little time Reply with quote

Hey All,
I don't even know where to begin.
My Dad left me an UNBELIEVABLE collection of working horns (trumpets and cornets...handful of sax).
There is wear on quite a few (as expected), but everyone that I have had come over is amazed with the valves and playability.
Strads, Committees, Naked Ladys, Selmers, Olds Records...lot of other olds, Bessons, Boston Music, gazillion Conns....on and on and on and on.

The cool thing is that I have finally started playing trumpet (ironically after my Dad's passing...) and I am loving it! I have more options that anyone in the US, but I was drawn to an LA Olds Ambassador. It has beautiful red/browning, and plays amazing (valves, comperession, etc).

Anyone have an idea where I even begin? I'm thinking one at a time.
It will take years to get to zero.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: