• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hi. My name is silverstar. I am a chronic comebacker...

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silverstar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Hi. My name is silverstar. I am a chronic comebacker... Reply with quote

So, here's my story:

I was 'that' trumpet kid in high school - super pumped, super motivated, super excited about everything trumpet and music. I lived, breathed, ate, and slept marching band. Wind Symphony was my off-season. I cried when I never made it into All-State. I went to college, the first time, thinking I'd minor in trumpet performance. Jazz band was my crack, even though I was never really all that good at it.

Then college life happened, and I found that I wasn't practicing as much as I used to. Then I joined the Navy reserves. Came home, joined the work force, and practiced here and there. Finally stopped playing altogether until I re-enrolled in community college. I played in the band there for a semester, but my work schedule and class schedules got in the way. I stopped playing again until I re-enrolled at the University of Iowa in 2013. I played in the University Band there for two semesters before having to stop because, once again, my schedule (with two jobs and full time classes) wouldn't allow for band.

Here I am. Busier than ever, working 2 jobs, working on 2 research projects (senior thesis and research fellows grant), full-time elementary ed classes, VP of ritual for my music fraternity, working towards getting initiated into the honors fraternity, and volunteering...I randomly pulled my trumpet out of the case and realized that a part of me has been missing for a while now.

So, I'm back (albeit intermittently) and looking forward to someday being able to play my horn like I used to.

I live in a crappy apartment with really thin walls - would it be prudent to start practicing with a silent brass system? (The music building is a bit of a trek away from where I live, and I'm not quite sure how to check out a practice room, lol!)

Lara

I may falter, I may fall, but I will get back up and keep at it. Fall down 7 times, get up 8.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! Good luck!

I practice with a Silent Brass. I am right now practicing (taking a short break, obviously) with a Bremmer Sshh Mute. They're great as long as you're VERY careful not to overblow! But find a day or two each week to get in a practice room and let 'er rip.

The new Silent Brass is a true lifesaver, especially when paired with the iRealbook Pro phone app!
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silverstar (great name by the way!)

There is a lot to be said for rejoining the trumpet playing community. Your post seems to indicate that you have many reasons why this will be difficult if not impossible, but you also realize that a pretty insane commitment is what's required sometimes to come back with any level of success and satisfaction as a player.

No I don't recommend practicing exclusively with a mute (silent brass or otherwise). A little is OK, but maybe 20 min per day on the mute would be the limit I might suggest. Why not seek out a community band or brass band in your area that will give you the kind of outside motivation that is so crucial for giving you a purpose for your practice.

Good luck with your comeback endeavors!
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember you.... Didn't you win a trumpet from Eclipse here????

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be worth looking into how to reserve a practice room in the music building and then, in a realistic way, try to work making that trek a part of your schedule. In my opinion, practicing on the open horn once an arbitrary time unit beats practicing multiple times the same arbitrary time unit through a practice mute.

So I'm not saying you have to practice every day of the week, or even three days a week, or anything. Quite simply, if you miss playing... play. Once a week, once a month, once a year, reserve a practice room and play whatever you can.

You have a lot going on in your life, but if you truly miss playing the trumpet there will be a place for it. Trumpet probably shouldn't consume very much of your time right now, but if you miss it play it when you can. If necessary, embrace the fact that you suck (right now), but that 99.9% of the general population can't make a sound on the damn thing.

Believe me, as life progresses there will be more time for the trumpet. It may be what now seems like an eternity away, after the kids have moved out and you're not caught up in the height of a career, but at some point there will be time. And if you've always kept the trumpet within reach and noodled on it when you can you'll have a leg up on all the other comeback players who haven't touched the trumpet in 30 years.
drboogenbroom
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I agree with everyone who has suggested making sure you can get into a practice room every once in a while, when I lived in an apartment I just played open, during normal hours when you get noise in a complex anyway, at around MP volume. The goal was to keep it to a level of someone with their stereo up a little bit.

Then I would do my loud practicing some other time/place. Just something to consider. If you really feel like you need to mute the horn, silent brass would be one of the best options.

Kevin

Bruno Walter
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So great to see you back, Lara!

I use a Silent Brass from time to time, but don't recommend using it on a daily basis for all of your practice. It's really good for emergency situations where you really can't practice on an open horn; as a last resort kind of thing. It is so important to hear yourself and play acoustically as well as what the resistance factor does. (Even the new iteration has more resistance than the horn does, albeit significantly less than the oder one). And there are intonation issues, particularly down on the bottom of the staff, that really make it difficult to find where you really are on an open horn. Remember that practice makes habits, so consistent practice on a silent brass mute generates a habit of attempting to overcome that resistance and adjusting unnaturally to intonation issues that are only there when using the SB mute.

So long story short, once in a while won't hurt, but avoid making it your daily diet (like Hostess cupcakes and a Coke)...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bamajazzlady
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back and what music frat are you in?
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lara!

Everything will be all right. I stayed away from the horn for 15 years after College. Now I have a busy performance schedule, am music director, and play my tukus off! While i have tons of horns and tried more yesterday I have yet to touch an Eclipse ... I totally relate to what you said, "a piece of you was missing."

Find it.

I recommend off-the-horn exercises including Warburton's Pete. Incorporated into Reinhardt's "trio of daily calisthenics," that the guys have turned into a quartet. This helps the sheer musculature develop, with a minimum of noise.

That coupled with a better understanding of how MY chops work (as opposed to what various teachers thought they should be doing) gained from Reinhardt's genius has made all the difference for me being able to develop while real life happens.
jiarby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was 'that' trumpet kid in high school - super pumped, super motivated, super excited about everything trumpet and music. I lived, breathed, ate, and slept marching band. Wind Symphony was my off-season. I cried when I never made it into All-State. I went to college, the first time, thinking I'd minor in trumpet performance. Jazz band was my crack, even though I was never really all that good at it.

Then college life happened, and I found that I wasn't practicing as much as I used to. Then I joined the Navy reserves. Came home, joined the work force, and practiced here and there. Finally stopped playing altogether until I re-enrolled in community college. I played in the band there for a semester, but my work schedule and class schedules got in the way. I stopped playingagain until I re-enrolled at the University of Iowa in 2013. I played in the University Band there for two semesters before having to stop because, once again, my schedule (with two jobs and full time classes) wouldn't allow for band.

Here I am. Busier than ever, working 2 jobs, working on 2 research projects (senior thesis and research fellows grant), full-time elementary ed classes, VP of ritual for my music fraternity, working towards getting initiated into the honors fraternity, and volunteering...I randomly pulled my trumpet out of the case and realized that a part of me has been missing for a while now.

I hope you find what you are looking for... but in reading your story it looks to me like the trumpet just mirrors the rest of your life. Start-Stop, change directions, start stop again...

Not a rip on you, as it took me until I was 40 to get my life settled down...

The thing though, is that the trumpet doesn't care about your story or what else is going on in your life. It is a cold-hearted "coil of torture".

If you want to become good at playing the trumpet you HAVE TO get dedicated to CONSISTENT fundamental practice to GET GOOD.... then KEEP practicing or you LOSE IT.

Maybe a guitar or piano would help fill your musical yearning, but with more tolerance for straying attention... the strings still vibrate great after a month off, but not the lips.

BTW... your life is just going to get MORE distracted. "REAL LIFE" happens after "College Life Happens". You get a job, have to make your bones there... you get married, then the next 25ish years are spent working and raising kids, you get car payments, a mortgage.

Don't let your wife put the horn (that she has never seen you play) in the garage sale.... you will come back to it.

As you get older hopefully you become successful, and can structure your life to accommodate a dedicated practice routine to get in REAL playing shape and the time to join some bands (you will need the reading practice!).

For me (I started my comeback at age 45-46... 4-1/2 years ago) I discovered that it is alot easier to be successful playing the trumpet when you don't have any car payments, no credit card debt, a house with 5 years left on the mortgage and alot of equity. Married a great woman with a solid job, a pension, health insurance... and a love for music! I am the luckiest guy on Earth!

Get your life in order... get past the rat race of life... THEN hit it when you REALLY can do it the way it HAS to be done. There are no shortcuts on the trumpet. Put in the time or sound like a constipated duck.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In contrast to the last post, I would say that anything you can do to not lose the pertinent skills or at least some of the muscular development over the years until "whenever," would do you a GREAT advantage! I wish I would've done that, even though I never sounded like a constipated duck and "came back" with literally no practicing and no embouchure and 2 performances a day that included high F's and G's. (Not 2 performances a day every day, 2 a day one day a week. BIG difference!)
mhendricks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back Silverstar!!

Here's a resource article that will help...

http://mphmusic.com/blog/trumpet/one-very-important-tip-for-the-comeback-trumpet-player/

For info on all of Mark's books and more visit: www.MPHmusic.com
Fred Miodowski

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite practice places is a cemetery. I have a busy household,
and I too work two P/T jobs. It all started when I started to play Taps for
our deceased Veterans, with the State Military Honor Guard. It not only
gave me a great a place to play, nobody bothered me there.
You can go whenever you have time.
I have had some denture work done so this is a great place to make some
mistakes. In the Winter I would drive to the cemetery and play inside my
car. When I real young I would go into the woods near by and play.
I also have involved friends of mine to join me.
I wish you the best. You will find a place and time. Good Luck Fred
silverstar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it's the same TH I remember from my high-school days. Lots of advice in a wide range of flavors. (I wouldn't have it any other way, either).

To answer a few of the questions from above:

Yes, the Eclipse trumpet that was won online was won by this girl.

I'm in Sigma Alpha Iota (the music fraternity) and will be pinned into Phi Sigma Pi tomorrow evening (honors fraternity).

Yes, it's taken me a bit to settle down and get my head out of the clouds, but I'm steadily working on finishing all I've started.

I'll have to look into some of your suggestions for 'getting back into it' methods and books. I have a copy of the Balanced Embouchure, as well as my trusty Arban's, Schlossberg, H.L. Clarke, and early trumpet-teacher books from my old lessons. I may also need to work on my scales...lol.

To be honest, I have always hated that silent brass system, but it may be my best option to getting some time on the horn at home (I'm usually gone during the normal hours that noise is allowed). I'll try and figure out the practice rooms, too.

Thanks, all!
Lara

I may falter, I may fall, but I will get back up and keep at it. Fall down 7 times, get up 8.
conn53victor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lara-

I am a comebacker here in Iowa City. I am sure that you don't want to travel far to practice. Churches might be an option for practicing. Did you want to play casually with other people? Very friendly Real Book jam sessions just ended at the Wesley House, but I am watching for something else.

1963 Connstellation
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

conn53victor wrote:
Lara-

I am a comebacker here in Iowa City. I am sure that you don't want to travel far to practice. Churches might be an option for practicing. Did you want to play casually with other people? Very friendly Real Book jam sessions just ended at the Wesley House, but I am watching for something else.

Lara-

You need to hang out with Jim. Great guy who loves playing...
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey silverstar,
I believe I remember you from the old political war days that were raging back in olden TH times. I can't give much useful advice on returning to the trumpet after long absences. I started playing when I was 11 years old and am now 72. I've never stopped playing.

Good luck with the trumpet rebooting. There's a ton of comeback players around here. They will likely be your best source of information. Oh, and any advice Pat gives out is always good advice.
HornofPlenty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lara,

I too remember your posts from your high school days and that you won that nice trumpet! When I first got out of school I lived in an apartment with paper thin walls. If you have a car, I would go out to a lot at a local high school in the evening and play in the car. Doesn't work as well in the winter. I also had a full-time job and sometimes I would come back after dinner and play trumpet.
I got to know the janitorial staff, really cool folks that enjoyed some music(or at least they didn't complain to me.

So, if you have a part-time job at a place that closes in the evening or has an area where you can play, then that is a possibility.

In warm weather, many times I would drive or walk to a park and found spot away from most folks and practice.

Finally, I joined a community band for a bit and they usually kept their practice area open for a half hour after practice was over, so I practiced there.
I went to some open jams too. I even volunteered to play sometimes at nursing homes with a backing track or a few friends.

Just some of the things I did. Good luck with everything! Welcome back!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lara,

Good to see you back here!

As far as practicing in that apartment, if you have a closet in your apartment of which none of its walls are on a border wall with any of your neighbors' apartments, a good way to practice without having to resort to a practice mute would be to practice with your trumpet's bell in the closet between two heavy (aka wool) coats. This attenuates the sound significantly but adds no back-pressure to the feel of the blow. And even if all of your closets are against conjoining walls, perhaps you could coordinate with a particular neighbor and practice into that bordering closet when that neighbor is not home.

If that is not possible, I've heard good things about the Wallace Practice Mute, though at near $100 it is pretty expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Wallace-Studio-Trumpet-Practice-Mute/dp/B00BDG4HN6

My own preference when I must resort to a practice mute is my Dennis Wick two-piece adjustable cup mute. One can vary how close to the bell the cup comes depending on how much attenuation is required. With it all the way against the bell it is about as quite as any practice mute I've used with little back pressure. And with it out just a mm or so from the bell, the sound is still very quite with almost no perceptible back pressure.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Webcam Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to use a Silent Brass then make sure it's the new design which is said to have a much better blow.

Don't assume that you will be one of those players that has to put in hours daily and that you'll lose everything when you take time off. I find myself in a place where I can take off many weeks at a time and come back fairly quickly. It is possible, depending on you and the approach you employ.

To be clear, I'm no pro. But I'm good enough to be welcome in a variety of genres (musical theater, wind ensemble, orchestra, chamber, big bands, Easter gigs, even an occasional rock band gig). I'd say I have a relatively terrific enjoyment-to-effort ratio. I give most of the credit to my long time teacher who was trained principally by James Stamp and Claude Gordon. It's the Stamp influence that I think that has made the biggest impact on my particular success.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: