• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hi. My name is silverstar. I am a chronic comebacker...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
if you have a closet in your apartment of which none of its walls are on a border wall with any of your neighbors' apartments, a good way to practice without having to resort to a practice mute would be to practice with your trumpet's bell in the closet between two heavy (aka wool) coats. This attenuates the sound significantly but adds no back-pressure to the feel of the blow.

This!

Before my wife and I bought a house 15 years ago, this was always the way I practiced. Never bothered a neighbor. When I asked, the neighbors said they never heard a peep.
silverstar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to have to try the closet thing - my closet in my bedroom doesn't share a wall with any neighbors.

I'm going to be playing (hopefully, unless the other girls decide against it) a trumpet quintet piece for our SAI Spring Recital in April. I am really excited about it!

Lara

I may falter, I may fall, but I will get back up and keep at it. Fall down 7 times, get up 8.
NMex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lara. Did you get my PM?
Mario
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laura,

So good to see you!

A nice whisper mute from "Spa Brass" or "Denis Wick" works great in an apartment. Neighbors will not complain.

Good luck to both of us. I'm rehearsing tonight with our JC's concert band after a long layoff. Practicing again is fun, yes?
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverstar wrote:
I am going to have to try the closet thing - my closet in my bedroom doesn't share a wall with any neighbors.

I'm going to be playing (hopefully, unless the other girls decide against it) a trumpet quintet piece for our SAI Spring Recital in April. I am really excited about it!

Lara

Glad to hear you have a closet that doesn't share a wall with the neighbors, Lara.

You know, working in Musical Theater, a lot of my friends and colleagues are always telling me to take my practicing out of my closet...
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverstar wrote:
I am going to have to try the closet thing

Wait, what?? Lara's coming out of the closet?
jungledoc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to second the suggestion of practicing during reasonable hours without a mute right in your apartment. Talk to your neighbors (not a bad idea anyway) to see if any of them keep unusual hours, like night workers/day sleepers. Tell them about your trumpet practice, and then check back with them as to whether what you are doing bothers them in any way.

We recently moved to a place with close neighbors. So far all of them deny being disturbed by my practice, even late in the evening.

I'll admit it. It's a TR300, but it wants to be a Strad when it grows up.
MJBTrumpet player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a large box used for moving from Uhal. Got some sound foam u whould use in speakers and glued them inside on all the walls then cut a 8 inch hole for my bell. I put the box on the table with a few inches of my bell in it and play. works very well, only cost about $20 to make.
FrankM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMEqN17U-JY

Thought you might like to try this
Besson Meha Bb Tpt
Selmer 99 Radial
Conn Connstelation 36B
Conn Connstelation 28A
B&H Sovereign Cornet
Yamaha 635T Flugel Horn.
trptdoc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheiden:

I'm interested in how you see Stamp and Gordon benefits? As a long time CG student I never realized the benefits and similarities with Stamp. My good friend Dave Evans finally got me to pay attention to Stamp and I wish I had earlier. They seem to be more alike than dissimilar except for the buzzing.

Larry Miller
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverstar/Lara,

I'm a Reinhardt guy, so if I had limited time to practice, I would consider the Reinhardt Routines from Rich Wiley. Great way, with a few lessons with a Reinhardt person to start you off, to keep your chops up and improve your technique to where you can most easily pick up the horn and play even when you neglect it. Not as good as regular practice, but good if you know you will have some times when you neglect the horn.

If this doesn't float your boat, or as an additional resource, I believe Pops McLaughlin has a book of routines to keep your chops up in 30 minutes a day.

Me, I'm retired and have lots of stuff going on, also do poorly with a lot of discipline, so I play for my own "amazement" when I want and what I want. It's another option to keep your hand in. HOpefully I'll find a way to trick myself into being a bit more consistent.

If you need to play with others or to perform from time to time, you'll have to put in more time. Sometimes scheduling such things ahead of time is the motivator for practice.

Good luck!
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trptdoc wrote:
Cheiden:

I'm interested in how you see Stamp and Gordon benefits? As a long time CG student I never realized the benefits and similarities with Stamp. My good friend Dave Evans finally got me to pay attention to Stamp and I wish I had earlier. They seem to be more alike than dissimilar except for the buzzing.

Larry Miller

It seems to me that Stamp as I was taught just seems to make for a very natural and efficient man/machine interface.

You'll be amused to know that Dave Evans is also the teacher I was talking about.

And to clarify Dave never had me work out of the Gordon books or follow the Systematic Approach, and that much of what he taught me seemed more in line with the Stamp method which we used daily.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice you back here Larry! And nice to hear Dave's name brought up. What a great player (and teacher)! I don't mention it often but I too, took some lessons with Dave when preparing for orchestra auditions. And his lectures at the CG Brass Camps were priceless.

Concerning the similarities between Stamp and Gordon, I thought Stamp also studied with Herbert L. Clarke, but perhaps I am mistaken about that, as according to Wikipedia, Stamp didn't move to Los Angeles from Minnesota until 1944 and Clarke passed away not long after that in January 1945.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you just trot over to the Mu bldg and look for an empty practice room? I do this a bit in the summer in MN if I don't feel like having everyone on the lake have to listen to me, or if I'm in town doing some other business. Good luck.
silverstar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy cats - I think the universe has agreed that I need to get back to the horn.

I have had two different offers to join local groups in the last 3 days.

I haven't had much free time outside of the 2 jobs, music fraternity (SAI!), 19 credit hours, and wedding planning...I am slowly working on building my chops back up, and trying not to be self-critical (my biggest struggle) about how I sound. Just a few minutes here or there a day. Probably my happiest minutes during the day, to be honest!

Looking forward to life not being as hectic after my wedding in June. I'll be looking to join some sort of group if they'll have me!

Lara

I may falter, I may fall, but I will get back up and keep at it. Fall down 7 times, get up 8.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it is worth, I just launched http://www.FemaleTrumpetPlayers.com recently to compile information on (and for) female trumpet players. I know of one prominent professional who will call me sexist for doing this; however, my thoughts are towards the highschool trumpet players (who happen to be females) looking for inspiration etc. Additionally, I lose money on my two websites as well as time so there is no huge benefit for me other than keeping my creative juices flowing.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
silverstar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Here goes nothing... Reply with quote

Welp - I may regret this someday, but I figured I'd share a quick video of some of the getting back into it practice I've been doing.

I'm starting out slow and basic - with my very first lesson book. It's not glamorous or lyrical, but my chops are still struggling to keep a focused tone (as you'll more than likely hear/see).

If you see/hear anything obviously terrible with how I'm playing, please feel free to let me know.

Link

John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Here goes nothing... Reply with quote

silverstar wrote:
Welp - I may regret this someday, but I figured I'd share a quick video of some of the getting back into it practice I've been doing.

I'm starting out slow and basic - with my very first lesson book. It's not glamorous or lyrical, but my chops are still struggling to keep a focused tone (as you'll more than likely hear/see).

If you see/hear anything obviously terrible with how I'm playing, please feel free to let me know.

Link

Hi Lara, I'm reposting your YouTube link so it will embed properly here. To get it to work on the Trumpet Herald system, you just need to take the "s" out of the "https://" section of the URL address so it reads "http://"

Here 'tis:

Link
[/quote]

I'll look at your video later today - on our way to walk the dogs now!
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverstar wrote:

I haven't had much free time outside of the 2 jobs, music fraternity (SAI!), 19 credit hours, and wedding planning...

my wedding in June.

Holy cats Lara's getting married?!? Who's the lucky Mr Silverstar? Congratulations to you both!

And that is one busy schedule ...
silverstar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Here goes nothing... Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:

Hi Lara, I'm reposting your YouTube link so it will embed properly here. To get it to work on the Trumpet Herald system, you just need to take the "s" out of the "https://" section of the URL address so it reads "http://"

I'll look at your video later today - on our way to walk the dogs now!

Thank you so much, I kept trying to get it to link properly and then had to go to a meeting!! I appreciate the tip - seems things have changed a bit on TH since the early days.

Also - razeontherock - our wedding is June 18, 2016. The soon-to-be Mr. Silverstar also used to be a trumpet player, and mentioned he'd like to take up the horn again, too. We've been dating for 7 years and engaged for almost 2, so this is a long-time coming.

Lara

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: