• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hi. My name is silverstar. I am a chronic comebacker...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well both of you "coming back" together is way better than one of you driving the other nuts with practicing. I was fortunate enough to do a lot of practicing with Bobby Burns, who has been the only trumpet player in Earth Wind and Fire for many years now. We'd go through a 2 hour session working on fundamentals, he plays one note I blow it back at him (etc) to pace ourselves so that we each rest as much as we play. VERY helpful!

7 years already huh? You got a keeper
silverstar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote in 10 minutes of practice time this afternoon between writing lesson plans and homework/errands.

...30 minutes later, the upstairs neighbors were angrily stomping on the floor. It's ok, though - I've dealt with their elephant feet, constant loud squabbling, and other unpleasant (private) noises at ungodly hours for almost 8 months, so they can deal with 30 minutes of trumpeting during daylight hours.

I need to work on my breathing!

Over and out,
La

I may falter, I may fall, but I will get back up and keep at it. Fall down 7 times, get up 8.
ClassicSki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Awesome Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the video of your practice. I may have to make a video and open myself up to input from the forum.

I'm sure some seasoned trumpeter can hear my strengths and weaknesses with the instrument.

But still nothing is as good as face 2 face instructor.

Tristar pocket trumpet
Old Conn director trumpet
Military bugle

Blessing XLCR Cornet- XLCR H30339
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lara,

Just listened to the video - nice full sound! It appears you had your phone camera on "mirror image" (or you're left handed and play a custom reverse-built trumpet!).

Don't let those neighbors get to you - they are completely out of line.

Cheers,

John
silverstar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 3 of being on the horn again. I can't express how much of a stress reliever it's been this week to come home and just play for a little bit. Only 20 minutes today before my chops started giving out...

Yes - I had the phone on the 'selfie' mode to record. I'm not left-handed (unless playing tennis or golf), and my Eclipse is definitely not a left-hander, either! I'm working on trying to not close off my air at my throat - I had a tendency to do that in high school, and I've already noticed it creeping in again. I think it's because I'm afraid to play too loud or to make the blatty angry trumpet noise that many brand-new beginners make.

I'm not substituting a teacher for the internet by posting - however, there is a wealth of expertise and knowledge here and I thought that it wouldn't hurt, either. Perhaps when I get a more normal-person schedule, I'll be able to pick up lessons again. Lord knows I probably need them. Haha!

Lara

I may falter, I may fall, but I will get back up and keep at it. Fall down 7 times, get up 8.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That tendency to restrict the air as you try to play higher notes gets a lot of players - and once the habit develops it's a hard one to break. This happens when one tenses the vocal chord muscles in a grunting fashion and/or when one raises the back of the tongue up, closing off the air (like what weightlifters sometimes do when they strain to lift a heavy weight). Stay out of the register where that starts to happen, even if that means you don't play above say, a Middle G for now. Especially now, when you need to get your strength back and you want to develop the correct feel or "knack" of how to play, it's pretty crucial you stay in the easy range. In a short time you'll find your easy register growing.

One good exercise for you to do right now to get air power back (meaning to build up your muscles of expiration), would be to start on Low C and play the note as long as you can in a full, comfortable volume (the idea is not to play really quite to make the note last forever, but rather to get the air out and then really work the blowing muscles as they squeeze that last bit of air out). Don't blast, but don't hold back either. As you start to run out of air try to make the note crescendo to really work the blowing muscles (the note won't get louder as you'll be doing this as you run empty). Be sure to keep your chest up in a position of good posture as you run out of air (your stomach will go in and you'll feel your ribs squeezing inward). In particular, if you keep your chest up with good posture as you run out of air you'll really feel your lower back muscles working. If you let your chest sink your lower back muscles won't be involved and you'll just feel the work being done by your abdominal muscles (we want all the available muscles to contribute and develop).

After you play the long Low C, rest as long as you played it, and then do it again on a Low B. Resting between notes, work your way down to the Gb (F#) below Low C. This seven note exercise will only take about 6 or 7 minutes to do, but it will build air power pretty quickly, and perhaps more important, it'll teach you to be able to blow as hard as you can (as you run out of air) all the while maintaining relaxation in the non-involved muscles that need to stay relaxed (the ones that cause the "closing off of the air" problem when you're playing higher notes and they start tensing up with the strain).

There you go! Have fun!

Cheers,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Bruin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I haven't been here in ages! Good to still see some familiar names here!

Lara, glad to see another comebacker giving it another go! I, too, am a chronic comebacker. I start out very idealistically about practicing my trumpet on a regular basis, but, I am just juggling too many balls in the air at one time. And, as the result, I have also drastically cut back on all of my gigging (keyboards are my main axes) as well.

I took out my 2 trumpets and flugelhorn tonight to lube and practice a little with "Learn Jazz Standards," a YouTube webpage featuring videos that contains a ton of great background recordings to play along with. Over the past few years, I've been really trying to stick with my Kanstul CG3 mpc, but I invariably return to my Schilke 17 and Bach 1.5C (and Bach 1.5CFL). Finally, this is telling me that I've already found some good mpcs to stick to in the 1.5/17 sizes. So, I will likely be listing my Kanstul 3CG and 3C trumpet mpcs shortly.

Hey, I applaud anybody and everybody who returns to give trumpet playing another shot, or in some of our cases, another shot in a series of shots.

For me, the key is just having fun playing my trumpet and flugelhorn because when I do spend some serious "music time," it is usually behind a MIDI keyboard, and running Logic Pro X for composing.

So, keep up the good work, Lara, and all of your comebackers, or serial comebackers!

Cheers,

Herb
Schilke 17& 17D4d4 trumpet mpcs
Schilke 17F flugelhorn mpc
jcmacman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lara/Silverstar!
It has been a while. I think it is great that you are picking up the trumpet once again.
I am sort of coming back again myself. In my case it is after a trip to the Dentist who said he can fix my teeth and make them whiter. After he "perform" his miracle, I could not play a note. Nothing......no buzz. It was as if there was a big tongue in the way. I went back 5 times so he can trim my teeth. I was only able to get the lips to buzz out a G on the staff after those visits so I put the horn down for over 2 years. I bought many mouthpieces, trumpet lessons, and after around 6 years I can play in the band again. No more double C's, but my tonguing, tone and flexibility are finally coming back and I am able to make music once again.
Keep it up Silverstar, you will get back to playing as well or even better then before.
john

Elvis Presley
silverstar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: So, I got married... Reply with quote

...and it's been another long pause between trumpeting adventures!

Here is a link to a (rather terrible) rendition of 'A Whole New World'. I found the sheet music on Pinterest and just tried to sight read it.

Link

It's a start. That's about all it is.

I hope you enjoy and get a good laugh!

La

GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Lara. I am an oldtimer who recently made a comeback after 50 years. I played trumpet in the 50s and 60s but gave it up due to family and career demands. After 4 months I am playing well, but that first month was murder.

I would never laugh at any trumpet player. We all want to play perfectly, but really, all we should try to do is play as well as we can. I think your video was really nice and I like your tone. It takes courage to put yourself out there like that, Lara.

Even though I am widowed and live in my own house, I usually practice in the early morning hours ( 5 am ) and my neighbors are close buy, trying to sleep, so at first I did everything with a mute in the mornings and without one in the afternoon. Mutes hide too many problems, especially where a good tone is concerned. So now that I am playing well and have a F# below the staff to a high C above the staff range, I play softly and muteless in the mornings and play louder in the PM. Playing softly is relaxing and great in helping to avoid playing with too much mp pressure.

Anyway, I think you are doing very well. Stick with it.

And congratulations on your marriage.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
jscahoy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"A Whole New World" - the perfect theme song for all comebackers.
silverstar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another clip - getting better at playing longer (had practiced about 20 minutes before this and it was the third try for video).

I have a goal for myself to be able to play this entire Etude...because that is something that I never really accomplished in high school.

Enjoy!

Link

Lara

GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrific, Lara. I can hear the progress. And etudes are always tough to play. You are a very gutsy girl and I can see that you are just going to improve and improve. Hoorah !
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
silverstar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp.

It's been a quick minute. I played my trumpet for my church for Easter 2017, and then it went back into the case for a while.

I finally got a teaching gig that took every waking moment of my life (5th graders are quite a handful). Found out in November 2017 that my hubby and I were expecting. Baby silverstar is due in July (eek).

I pulled the horn out today for the first time in ages. Gotta get this kiddo used to it before he gets here.

Chronically coming back,
Silverstar

trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lara, the cool thing about music is that you can always come back to it, and you can do it on your own terms. It's difficult to make the time for the horn when your life becomes structured around other things such as your job, children, keeping a home, and that sort of thing.

Looking back, in the times where I wasn't actively gigging with a regular group, my chops took a serious hit because the horn just never came out of the case. I always kept it though, and so it was there when I did come back around to it.

It's good to see you back on here. Keep us posted on everything!
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the upcoming arrival Lara!
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best wishes on your Comeback this time around. It will be interesting to read about your experiences once baby arrives. Think you’re busy now?

Jim
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck and good playing, Lara !!!
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
THE BD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hooray!

And one of these days, we'll find a gig together (finally)! Sam and Emily too!

Yeah, I did that!
ButchA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, Lara! You sound great! Some of us (myself included) put the trumpet away for a number of years, and at first it almost felt like learning all over again. But like riding a bicycle, you quickly remember and pick it back up and continue on.

So many people on here are comeback players and have encouraged me as well. Right now, I can hit the high C (and occasionally) the high D above the staff, and that's about it. I will never be a Maynard Ferguson or Bill Chase type of trumpet screamer. Never could - even in my prime. So, I prefer to let the screamers scream, and I'll sit back and play 2nd harmony parts.

You got this!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: