• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A little video

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetplanet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:31 am    Post subject: A little video Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I'm making a few video demonstrations for my students of the BE exercises. There first one is live, please feel free to use it as you please.

<removed>

https://neotericbrass.com/
https://trumpetpla.net/
https://tonguecontrolled.info/

Last edited by trumpetplanet on Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
txtrumpetguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great resource! Well done! Thank you!
trumpetplanet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem! When the others are done I'll post them on here too

trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rich,

I generally discourage posting videos of BE exercises. This is not a new position. Every few years I have to re-explain my reasoning.

The main thing is, players do not look the same when doing the exercises. The book describes the general procedure, and the CD gives a general sound model. But a video is very specific and "cements" the procedure into place. As a result, I have players from all over the world who try to "look like" another player on a youtube video. You cannot imagine the confusion and difficulty this has caused. And I am the one who gets stuck sorting it out.

I started three students (two middle school kids and one adult) on the RI exercises this past week. In none of the cases did I perform the exercise in front of the student. Rather, I gave the general instruction, and waited to see what the student did in response. The student did not try to mimic me or anyone else. And, as is usually the case, the students each figured it out according to their own unique physiology.

My experience (and I was a videographer for years) is that video is overrated and often a misleading crutch as a teaching tool, especially regarding something as intimate as BE.

My position may seem counterintuitive. At least one BE supporter became so upset at my position that he stopped posting on the forum.

My response it that much of BE may seem counterintuitive, so why should this be any exception? I feel compelled to continue to give the best advice I can based upon what I have learned the last decade, I don't like it when layers are added to BE, making it harder for the student to get to the core of the experience.

In my experience, videos actually add an unnecessary layer and frequently do more harm than good. I ask that you please do not post them.

I also understand that this may come across as overly harsh. Please be assured, I appreciate enthusiasm for BE, in whatever form it takes. At times, however, it can be counterproductive.

Jeff
trumpetplanet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeff,

No problem, I'll take it down.

Rich

txtrumpetguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the point. How do you give advice to students who are struggling with the exercises? Is there something you can see visually that is just flat out wrong? I'm brand new at teaching this and my students are getting a wide range of success levels. It's tough to know what to say to the ones who are struggling. I still struggle with the exercises myself! It amazes me how some do them so easily though.
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BE?
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetteacher1 wrote:
My experience (and I was a videographer for years) is that video is overrated and often a misleading crutch as a teaching tool, especially regarding something as intimate as BE.

I am with Jeff on this for what it's worth.

IME videos rarely serve a useful purpose in trumpet (or many other) pedagogy. There is very little to see visually unless it is a gross problem (and even that may not be a real problem) so the vast majority of the time it is nothing but a distraction. Sound recordings I have found to be useful and sometimes of great benefit. Or, as when I record myself, annoyingly humbling and revealing.

The worst is when someone tries to emulate the "look" in some video, not understanding that their facial structure and everything else is different, and that trying to look the same is just a recipe for disaster.

IME/IMO - Don
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I understand the point. How do you give advice to students who are struggling with the exercises?

You point them generally in the right direction. There are also several instructions, which I have given you in the past, which address a little more detail. Plus, you need patience. Not everyone finds the sweet spot in the early stages.

For example, I had a 12 year old student several years ago who had difficulty playing above a second line G in the staff. I instructed her how to do the Roll In. Her lips were in a solid position, and the air was hissing through the horn, but no tone was emerging. After several attempts, I told her that she was doing it exactly right, and to continue to practice the air hiss for a minute or two every day. She did as she was told.

From that point on, she started every lesson with the air hiss into the horn. And she was happy and contented to do so, as that was my instruction. After about two months, she started to do the hiss, but a note came out instead, the prettiest G on top of the staff you could imagine. I asked he to do it again. She did so easily. I told her to hit that G from now on at the start of her lesson. Since she now knew what if felt like, she followed that instruction as well. And she began to play easily up to the top of the staff in regular playing.

Of course, she had no expectations. She was not trying to master all of the RI exercises in two weeks, so she suffered none of the frustrations typically experienced by older players.

Quote:
Is there something you can see visually that is just flat out wrong? I

Students run the gamut. With some, you can easily see a problem (for example, they don't look anything like the pictures in the book). With others, it is more of an internal balance thing, which requires subtle adjustments, patience, and persistence. As you gain experience teaching it, you will gradually be able to give the right amount of advice.

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: