• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tenor Horn players here??

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cornet74
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Tenor Horn players here?? Reply with quote

I ask this question from time to time. It has always been my suspicion that Brit cornet players at all levels play the tenor horn from time to time to relax their chops and take a break from the rigors of the cornet.

I've always thought that the tenor horn is to the Brit cornet player what the flugelhorn is to the American trumpet player, although I realize the flug is an important brass band instrument in its own right.

I have a Yamaha 203 which I preferred over the pro model, probably because it's easier to play. As for mouthpieces, I always seem to come back to my standard silver plate Wick 5, but I also like the VB 12 as well as the Yamaha 37C4.

I also have a Wick wooden straight mute that produces a beautiful sound, when I'm in shape. And unlike the valve trombone which can play havoc with my trumpet chops, these three tenor horn mpcs don't hurt me; in fact after playing hard over a long period of time on trumpet or cornet I find playing on the tenor horn to be a great way to loosen some things up.

Just saw an interesting masterclass by Owen Farr as well has hearing his version of Carnival of Venice, which is superb. I've always preferred him to Sheona White. Something about her vibrato that doesn't click with me although she is a wonderful player of the instrument.

I'd be interested in other people's experiences with the tenor horn.

Thank you.
Wick Wooden Tenor Horn Straight Mute
B_Starry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have/play a Yamaha YAH202 alto horn, mostly to cover middle voices in church when a trombone or (French) horn is unavailable. Very easy to play, in comparison to trumpet and cornet, with a pleasant tone quality. It has its own intonation quirks, but no more so than any trumpet, IMO. It is also an easy switch for treble clef guys to read and play bass clef charts.
I use a Bach 6 mp, btw. As you've noted, the Eb horn does help relax the chops after a hard day of playing Bb.

I wonder why Yamaha chose the YAH model nomenclature rather than YTH?
harleyt26
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two Conn 2F Bb Tenor Horns, a 1918 and a 1927. I just play around on them at home, but as you said they are a fun change from cornet or trumpet. I have a Wick 5 and a original to the 1918 2F marked Alto Deep mouthpiece. I find the Wick more comfortable but the Alto Deep has a distinctive sound I like.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to use flugel as a break from sop (though not often, once or at most twice a month if I've really overcooked it).
I have a tenor horn lying around somewhere (think its an Imperial? been quite some time since it saw light of day), as you've brought up the question, I think I'll give it a go
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to play Tenor Horn as my main instrument. Sovereign and then bought the very first Neo sold in Europe. Have had lessons with Owen Farr, really nice guy. I gave up Brass Bands and moved to orchestral trumpet instead. Swapped the Neo for an Eclipse flugel.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
cornet74
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapier232 wrote:
I used to play Tenor Horn as my main instrument. Sovereign and then bought the very first Neo sold in Europe. Have had lessons with Owen Farr, really nice guy. I gave up Brass Bands and moved to orchestral trumpet instead. Swapped the Neo for an Eclipse flugel.

Very interesting post. I love Farrs playing and have watched some of his situational you tubes. Most people okay the cornet than retire into the tenor horn. You've done the opposite!!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only second hand experience but a good friend who has had endurance issues on trumpet has discovered that she has unexpected range and endurance on the tenor horn.

And as a curious aside, I've recently returned to dabbling on the French horn. And while I wouldn't call the French Horn easy (pesky close harmonics), I also find I have unexpected range and endurance on it. Even way more so than on the flugel.

There's just no sugar-coating it, trumpet/cornet is a cruel instrument.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
It's only second hand experience but a good friend who has had endurance issues on trumpet has discovered that she has unexpected range and endurance on the tenor horn.

And as a curious aside, I've recently returned to dabbling on the French horn. And while I wouldn't call the French Horn easy (pesky close harmonics), I also find I have unexpected range and endurance on it. Even way more so than on the flugel.

now you've gone and shattered all my illusions.
trumpet/cornet players are the bare knuckle fighters of the music scene.
p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh say it ain't so!! Surely a rest in the second-row cornets would be enough, but moving to the dark side??

Tenor Horn is a retirement home for cornet players....I'm not ready to go there yet.

Having said that I recently had a blow on our band's new Neo Tenor Horn, and it truly is a beautiful instrument.

Cheers,
Roger
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
Mpc. - ACB 3CS, ACB 3ES, Curry 3BBC, Kanstul FB Flugel
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p76 wrote:
Oh say it ain't so!! Surely a rest in the second-row cornets would be enough, but moving to the dark side??

In my case it did come with the chance to show up the regular F Horn players. So there's that.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
In my case it did come with the chance to show up the regular F Horn players. So there's that.

"like"

Cheers,
Roger
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
Mpc. - ACB 3CS, ACB 3ES, Curry 3BBC, Kanstul FB Flugel
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are enough brass players at my day job that we sometimes get together to read some quintets. Often, there's a surfeit of trumpet players and no horn player, so I bring my Eb alto horn (as they are called in the USA), and try to sight-read the F Horn part. For me, it's a lot easier than trying to play it on a French horn, since the partials are farther apart on the alto horn, and I don't have to work the valves with my left hand.

The horn is a King "Altonium" (spell check wants me to spell it "Plutonium"), which takes a French horn mouthpiece, and sounds more like a French horn than most other alto (or tenor) horns do. Some day I may track down the optional slide(s) to make it play in F, which will make for fewer transposition errors.

It's also a nice horn for blues jams, and when they hear the sound, the guitar players always want me to play "You Can't Always Get What You Want", Al Kooper's most famous (only?) horn solo.
Pablopiccasso
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my Chinese made "Parrot"Eb tenor horn from my school days in the loft. It cost UK£61 in about 1974. I haven't played it for a long time but the valves still work, and blows ok in all ranges. Use a Dennis wick mouthpiece which was bought later and cost more than the horn
pocketmaster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vintage Conn Eb alto horn is my main axe now. I play around with a pocket cornet and pocket trumpet. Never played a trumpet or standard cornet either. I like the tone of the alto horn. I'm using a wick heritage 1 mpc and a Jupiter mpc. I can't find any alto/tenor horn groups at all.
Pocket Máx
K&H pocket cornet
Conn altohorn
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Tenor Horn players here?? Reply with quote

cornet74 wrote:
I ask this question from time to time. It has always been my suspicion that Brit cornet players at all levels play the tenor horn from time to time to relax their chops and take a break from the rigors of the cornet.

I've always thought that the tenor horn is to the Brit cornet player what the flugelhorn is to the American trumpet player, although I realize the flug is an important brass band instrument in its own right.

Hi cornet74

Although an old thread resurrected, I thought that I'd answer this time. I personally am not aware of any British cornet players who play tenor horn from time to time to relax their chops and take a break from the rigors of the cornet. I know of one player who occasionally plays tenor horn, but she bought it as she found it easier to play whilst pregnant, and uses it currently from time to time to dep on tenor horn when required.

Although a lot of British cornet players also play trumpet and often flugel, and also play different styles in varying ensembles, I know just as many who only play cornet in a brass band.

Regarding playing flugel to relax the chops, I can only speak for myself, in that I don't do this. I personally do all my practice on either cornet or trumpet, depending on the current gig schedule, and rightly or wrongly do not practice the flugel. I however on play flugel on some tunes in my husband's Jazz Band. I would practice the flugel if I was for example to dep on flugel in a brass band.

Take Care

Lou

I have a Yamaha 203 which I preferred over the pro model, probably because it's easier to play. As for mouthpieces, I always seem to come back to my standard silver plate Wick 5, but I also like the VB 12 as well as the Yamaha 37C4.

I also have a Wick wooden straight mute that produces a beautiful sound, when I'm in shape. And unlike the valve trombone which can play havoc with my trumpet chops, these three tenor horn mpcs don't hurt me; in fact after playing hard over a long period of time on trumpet or cornet I find playing on the tenor horn to be a great way to loosen some things up.

Just saw an interesting masterclass by Owen Farr as well has hearing his version of Carnival of Venice, which is superb. I've always preferred him to Sheona White. Something about her vibrato that doesn't click with me although she is a wonderful player of the instrument.

I'd be interested in other people's experiences with the tenor horn.

Thank you.

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
pocketmaster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Tom Black a lot. He might be affiliated with Auckland city brass band. I believe he primarily plays a besson sovereign tenorhorn and mellophone.
Pocket Máx
K&H pocket cornet
Conn altohorn
Bach37

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played principal cornet and principal tenor horn with the local brass band for 8 years each. Switched to tenor horn because I was having some pain and swelling. Used a Besson 927 cornet with a Warburton 4BC/BC9 mouthpiece. For tenor horn I used a Willson with a Wick 1.

I took some time off, but now I'm playing in a concert band. Using my 1973 Bach 37 with a standard weight bell and a lightweight body. Bach 1C mouthpiece.

Recently played James Curnow's "Concertpiece" in November and December.
Iriani

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:44 am    Post subject: Turn to the Dark Side to extend practice Reply with quote

Not much call for Tenor horn around here. While I usually play cornet, I started doubling on an alto horn in F to play French Horns solos in our little New Horizons band, that as yet has no French Horn players. I like it! Intonation is a beast on mine, an Olds Ambassador. But it is getting better as I strengthen my embouchure to play the Bach 3 mouthpiece. I prefer larger trumpet mouthpieces, so the transition isn't too tough. I can practice my cornet until I am tired, then renew and continue on the Alto Horn. And in that same vein, a desire to learn bass clef and play in Tuba Christmas resulted in the gift of a euphonium from my husband. So now I line all three instruments up and have a wonderful day in practice, because I can continue to play on the next lower instrument, going from Solo cornet, to French Horn to Euph music as I get tired. Had a rough year playing last year due to 5 dental surgeries to replace broken implants, each time taking 4-5 weeks off from playing per dentists orders. So I found the Euph and the Alto horn easier on my tender mouth, and more forgiving if I was wearing a retainer, than cornet, but they quickly got me back to playing cornet, by keeping up my breathing and reading speed, with little or no pressure on the bone graft areas near front teeth. I enjoy listening to tenor horn pieces. Our American alto horn is similar, but I imagine the tenor horn is a joy to play.
Curry DC cornet mpc
Olds Ambassador Los Angeles Cornet
Curry 3DC O cornet mpc
Olds Ambassador Alto Horn Eb and F slides
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with tenor horn was in the 7th grade. The school art department made an installation, using al manner of metal scrap, including a few bits of brass instruments. There was the corpse of a tenor horn in there.

When it was taken down, it was being tossed out, so a few of us played a prank on our band director, taking the tenor horn and 'unwinding' it. We then left it on the shelf where the tenor horns usually sat. It looked a treat! (did I mention we had a brass band at our school?)

HE was not amused. The bruises healed pretty fast, and the emotional scars eventually...
cornet74
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:

Your last sentence says it all... Nothing I could add to make your point any more clearer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: