• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Problems with low/middle register after BE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JanW1989

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:59 am    Post subject: Problems with low/middle register after BE Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm playing french horn and 2 years ago I started experimenting with BE. I think that I had a really inefficient embouchure before which could be described with "Einsetzen" in the red of the top AND the bottom lip. Results were a limited (high) range and endurance. But I never had problems with my low range. I enthusiastically discovered the principle of rolling in my lips while practicing BE and performed a more or less direct change. I improved my high range and endurance a lot and was quiet happy. My new problem was that I struggled a lot with my low and lower middle range. If I start with a f and go chromatically down, problems start around c. I have a feeling like "I have no idea what I should do with my lips to go lower". The tone does not pop out. Only with moving my mouthpiece I have a chance to get the lower tones. But then I cannot move up again without moving the horn away from my lips and search a new position.
I know that I neglect the Roll out exercises. But I had no problems rolling my lips out and play the double pedal tones. Sometimes there are a few problems while playing RO3 and I can do RO4 only up to a c2 (sometimes f2). Besides, I don't really know if I do it "right". My lips do different things in contrast to the Roll-In-Feeling when I slur up (I have aching muscles in my cheeks when I do a lot of RO3/RO4; During RI I it's looks like I use my chin instead).
I have to say that there were periods of time in which I could not spend a lot of time on practicing. Now I have, but I have no idea how I can start to get rid of my problem.

Does anyone has had the same problems? And does anyone has tips how I can start?

Thank you very much!
Jan

(Sorry, I'm from Germany and I also have to improve my english skills)
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jan,

What you are asking is basically how to get lower notes to vibrate when you have switched to a mostly rolled in setup.

There is no magic answer. It takes patience and persistence. It requires an expansion of lip range of motion, which is the fundamental purpose of the BE exercises. The old way of playing allowed your lips to vibrate easily in the lower register. But with that setup, your lip position had no leverage for higher notes.

Quote:
If I start with a f and go chromatically down, problems start around c. I have a feeling like "I have no idea what I should do with my lips to go lower". The tone does not pop out.

One technique which has helped my students is, when you reach the lower notes that don't want to speak, encourage the vibration by tonguing on the top lip. The tone of the notes there will likely be fuzzy at first, but keep at it and the sound will gradually improve. It can, however, take several weeks or months - thus the "patience and persistence" comment. Eventually the lips will adjust without the tongue prompting.

Of course, that is only a general solution. I would need to know more details and hear you play to offer more specific advice.

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: