• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

David Hickman: Trumpet Pedagogy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
silverhorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpt.hick wrote:
I read through the lengthy Amazon Kindle contract, and it is full of confusing language designed to screw authors. In reading a few blogs about the contract from the authors' point of view, the payments made each month are on the proportion of your number of pages read (not sold) by customers in relationship to the total number of pages read by all readers that month. So, if something like Harry Potter or Hunger Games is a bigger seller than your book, you will receive only a few cents per copy of your book. Hard to believe that royalties are not based on sales percentages of your own sales, even though the contract makes you think that it is.

I will stay away from Amazon Kindle, but I am looking into other companies that provide books in the same format, but base royalties on sales of each product book. I shouldn't have to compete with other authors for my fair share of the royalties.

DH

Why not just put it into a pdf file and sell it yourself as an e-book? That way you basically keep all profits from sales unless you think a company can market your book better than you personally? Btw, I have a hard copy of the book and recommend it highly as a resource for everyone that plays trumpet.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpt.hick wrote:
I read through the lengthy Amazon Kindle contract, and...the payments made each month are on the proportion of your number of pages read (not sold) by customers in relationship to the total number of pages read by all readers that month. So, if something like Harry Potter or Hunger Games is a bigger seller than your book, you will receive only a few cents per copy of your book. Hard to believe that royalties are not based on sales percentages of your own sales, even though the contract makes you think that it is.

I'm not a kindle author, but I've followed the program, and that's the first time I've heard that. I don't see it mentioned in the Kindle Direct Publishing pages either. It lists a very simple royalty formula:

70% Royalty Rate x (List Price – applicable VAT - Delivery Costs) = Royalty

In the US, the delivery cost is $0.15/MB

So if your book costs $100, is sold where there is no VAT, and the book file is 10MB, your royalty per book sold would be:

.7 x ($100 - 0 - ($0.15 x 10)) = $68.95

Royalties are paid monthly about 60 days after the month closes. Some regions have a minimum royalty which must be accumulated before the royalty is paid, but in the US the minimum is $0 if electronic funds transfer is used.

Maybe I've missed something in the terms and conditions. Please let me know.

I should mention that back when I followed this more closely there were some authors who struggled to get their book formatted correctly so it looked nice in all the different readers they intended to support. If I were in your shoes, that would be my biggest concern about kindle publishing. If you think you might proceed, you might see if it would be worthwhile to hire a service to do that for you.
Piccolo Stomvi
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about selling a PDF version, of course, but then everyone would be able to email it to their friends and students for free. I'm not into giving it away! I'm looking for a way that only the purchaser can download it. I know that it is possible to do this if I sell a non-downloadable CD, which means that even the buyer cannot download it onto their hard drive. It would be an inconvenience, however, because the viewer would need to load the disc every time it is to be viewed, and not all machines accept CDs these days.

I'll figure it out eventually. I have a few geeky consultants to help.

DH

PS. True, the original terms APPEAR that Amazon Kindle will pay a 70% royalty, but you must read the 29 pages of fine print! They are very clever in the way they screw authors.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found something in the kindle direct publishing terms and conditions that looks like that share of pages read thing you mentioned. This has to do with the Kindle Select program, which is entirely optional.

If you wanted to make your book available in Kindle Select, customers who have bought kindle subscriptions or use the lending library would also get to read your book, but without buying it. Since they aren't buying it, your royalty would be based upon a share of subscription revenue calculated by page reads of your book as a ratio of total page reads in the program.

Anyway, Kindle Select is optional. It appeals to authors who want to get readers anyway they can in hopes of favorable reviews and word of mouth marketing.

If you don't participate in Kindle Select, customers just have to buy your book to read it, and you'd be paid royalties on sales as expected.
Piccolo Stomvi
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Hickman, dstdenis is correct from what I understand. I know several people who have Kindle books on the market, and it's a 70% royalty rate minus the "delivery cost". The Kindle select part is optional.

I for one would love to have your book in my Kindle library.

I hope this helps, and best of luck with whichever delivery method you choose.
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but if you look at blogs where authors discuss their royalty payments from the 70% deal, you read many horrible stories about the fact that Kindle can change the price of the books listed with them whenever and however they want. There seem to also be lots of hidden charges, too. Most authors who think they will get a 70% deal (minus shipping costs) end up with an average of 10-20% in royalties.

Another problem is that my book is on an 8.5 x 11-inch format, so it will not fit onto most devices in a readable way. The print would need a microscope!! Changing the format so the number of pages double or triple will require redoing the Index altogether.

I am still looking for good alternatives.

Dave
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious how a Kindle or the iPad/Desktop Kindle app would handle your books format. As a Theology student I have many books which are quite large in print and also have them on Kindle. Some even include illustrations, etc. The Kindle has a dynamically adjustable font. I wonder if Amazon has a way for you to "test" your book on Kindle, just to see how it looks. It might be interesting to try and just see how it would format.

The same goes for PDF, I'm sure you'd want some beta testers, because I don't know how flexible the Kindle devices/apps are with PDFs that are imported. I would think you'd have less control over how it "looks" on the end users device if you released in PDF -- just a thought.

As for the royalty info, I'm strictly going off of second hand info. In either scenario, I look forward to hearing what you are able to do for an electronic copy.

All the best!
Jayson
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and one more thing to consider (since I've never seen your book in print), is that my biggest pet peeve with Kindle books are how footnotes/endnotes are handled. Since your book is more academic, and I'm not sure what style of referencing (if any) is used this is something I just now thought of. I personally loathe endnotes in print books favoring footnotes, but my field generally uses Chicago/Turabian, and I think I'm just more used to footnotes...in either case, once it's in Kindle everything effectively becomes "endnotes" and is generally hyperlinked within the text.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpt.hick wrote:
Another problem is that my book is on an 8.5 x 11-inch format, so it will not fit onto most devices in a readable way. The print would need a microscope!! Changing the format so the number of pages double or triple will require redoing the Index altogether.

There are many kindle books that are optimized for larger screens. For example, I have bought several photography books like that and read them in the kindle app on my computer.

Another example: The Oxford University Press has made their five volume Oxford History of Western Music available in kindle format. The hardcover version is 3,856 pages, but the kindle version lets the reader browse the whole thing on a computer or tablet.

http://www.amazon.com/Oxford-History-Western-Music-5-vol-ebook/dp/B004H0N71S/ref=sr_1_4

If you are still interested, you might download a kindle app to your computer or tablet and then download a free sample of this book so you can browse through it and judge whether it might work for your book. It's definitely suited for large screens.

Most kindle books don't have an index because the app lets the reader search for anything. Things like table of contents and endnotes are linked to locations so the text can reflow as the reader selects his/her preferred font and font size.

You seem wary of Amazon, so I'll leave it to you whether you want to investigate this any further. I buy lots of kindle books and prefer to read books this way, and I think it's a great distribution system from a customer point of view.
Piccolo Stomvi
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its great for consumers, but a raw deal for authors. Amazon can change the sales price whenever it wants. For instance, a book that is listed for sale at $10 may not sell as well as Amazon feels it should, so it may lower the sales price (without consulting the author) to $1 to boost the number of sales. After fees, the royalty amount may be only 30-40 cents. This sucks for the author.
GrowlerBox
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea about their royalties system, but I like Google Books as a consumer -- having the option of displaying scanned original pages as well as "flowing text" (more or less like the Kindle approach) is a bonus for me, and it means you can retain the look of your carefully formatted print version.
MusicFit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Any ideas when we might get a pdf? Reply with quote

Any chance we might be able to get this soon? Im about to cave and buy a used copy from someone, but i'd hate to get it and then see it come out digital!
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say it, but I'm now thinking that it will be unavailable in any format for another year or two. Then, I will update it to make a Second Edition, which will come back as a hardbound book. I'm not 100% decided, though.

DH
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The straight 70% rate is only for books under 15 dollars and even then about half of the time they only allow you 35% even on the cheap books.

I know that because I have a few of my less expensive books on Amazon.
However the program that David is talking about is their newest promotion. They really push it and you can get almost nothing for a book on that.

If David did a straight book sale on Kindle then his book would give him a 35% royalty less expenses.

The Apple store is where the book should go. Many of my books are there. (I don't know how to set music for their system.)

The Apple store generates a lot of sales and they treat you fair.
7,000 pages of free music. Trumpet Books, Skype Lessons: www.BbTrumpet.com
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pops wrote:
The Apple store is where the book should go. Many of my books are there... The Apple store generates a lot of sales and they treat you fair.

That's a good idea.
Piccolo Stomvi
k0elw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a little unnerving that Amazon knows how long you spend on each page.
Joseph.Bowman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpt.hick wrote:
I hate to say it, but I'm now thinking that it will be unavailable in any format for another year or two. Then, I will update it to make a Second Edition, which will come back as a hardbound book. I'm not 100% decided, though.

DH

A 2nd edition would be awesome
Bangkok, Thailand
http://www.bangkoktrumpet.com
hendan10

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
trpt.hick

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently having my website set up to sell hard copies AND digital downloads of most publications. The pedagogy book will soon be available as a digital file only, and for way less money than the hardbound book used to be. I will keep everyone posted.

DH
maxfinis

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, the iBooks (for Apple's App Store and iTunes) that Pops mentioned is a great option to do what you're wanting to do. They make it really easy for non-developers to create all kinds of "books" that can include multi-media options and special formatting in addition to straight text. Most moderately technical users (those comfortable with computers) can create content free of charge. Unlike with Amazon, Apple allows you almost total control over the sales. The only caveat is that only Apple users (iOS – iPhone, iPad, Apple computers) can get it, but there is a big market for that anyway. I would be glad to help, or point you in the right direction if you want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: