• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Public demonstration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larrios
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Below is part of an email that I've sent Jeff this week. He asked me to share it on the forum, so here it is!

"BTW - here is a nice little story from what happened last friday. Some people from one of the local bands asked me to hold a little lecture in a local primary school (one of my students goes to school there) on music in
general and more specifically about my instrument, including a small demonstration etc. There were 60 kids, aged 6-12. After the talking bit I played them some different tunes, some of which they could sing along with.
Then I suggested to have some kids try it for themselves, but they insisted their teacher to go first. He never touched a cornet before, so I gave him some instructions. First we did the lip clamp (which was great fun for those kids) and then I asked him to blow. His very first note was a G top of the staff with ease and good sound, a healthy mf! He couldn't get anything lower than top space E. Pretty cool, eh? To my surprise, all the children that tried, without exception, could get a middle C with reasonable sound after just a few tips. If they blew and got only air, I just mentioned to roll in the lips and they did it perfectly, instantly getting a sound. Not to speak of how their 'embouchures' looked. They could all be models! It really blew my mind to see this happening. They 'played' more naturally than I've been able to do for years. To conclude the event, I played two duets with my student, which she did wonderfully. It was a succesful hour, lots of fun. "

Ko
newkiwi

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there's hope for me yet!
mcamilleri
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Jesus said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven".

Well, you get the point.

Michael
barryj1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KO,

Great post! Maybe one of those kids will be inspired to study the trumpet or cornet as a result of your demonstration.

Barry
Larrios
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barry,

That was one of the reasons to do the demonstration. Nowadays, it's pretty hard for an amateur band to get kids excited to play that kind of music or to start playing at all. There are so many different things (mainly sports) available for them after school, that making music is often not the first thing that crosses their mind. Also, bandmusic is not really the kind of music they hear on the radio etc. I believe it's important to give them a chance to directly experience the joy of making music together and hopefully that effort gets them enthusiastic to participate. The children are the future, also in music!

Ko
Larrios
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Here's just a little update on this demonstration. So far, six kids have applied to get some trial lessons, so I'm happy about that. Today I taught two new ones (9 and 10 y/o) for the first time and it was great fun! One was frustrated when he couldn't reach the low C, but kept on hitting middle C's and G's instead. (Some E's were there too.) The other one played EXTREMELY loud and fat middle C's and also had to stop giggling and laughing if she were to produce a stuffy low C. I had them both start with a breathing excersise, asking them to blow a hole in the wall, so when they were about to play their first notes, they took massive breaths and the fun began right away. (They did the Lip Clamp and some squeak attempts prior to playing as well.) The one with the best sound had his cheeks puffed and corners forward almost around the mouthpiece. It truly is amazing stuff!

Ko
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice story Ko... I guess your child now at University or the like. Yesterday I revisited my roll íns.. sound was sounding too nice... went for the flatter cd sound when hiding the red more .. straight away saw the benefit 1) on ALS 3 and 2) in normal playing noticed playing with air cushion under lower lip which seemed to help.. hope you are in good shape..(PS I should have been on this forum 16 years ago in The Golden Age - The Time Of The Pioneers! !!)
cheers steve
PS By the way your whistling tip for faster lip slurs was really helping when I was playing them higher.. top of the staff...the first line of ALS3 the hardest for me but I have determined not to move on til I've nailed it!
Larrios
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

I'm glad you're enjoying the ride!

After all these years, it's still fascinating to me how exaggerating even more on the exercises may make the exercises seem worse initially, while instantly getting greater benefit in normal playing! To have a set of exercises that you can experiment with so freely outside of your normal playing is just wonderful. I'm grateful for it every day!

Ko
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a group teaching session for adults years ago. One person had a natural E above high C as her first and most natural note, with no apparent difference in effort compared with everyone else (myself included). I think I’m still jealous!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: