• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

BE = First 2 weeks "Mistakes of a Beginner!"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 3:46 am    Post subject: BE = First 2 weeks "Mistakes of a Beginner!" Reply with quote

Hi BE followers
I have been on BE for 2 weeks.. loving it. So cut to the chase - mistakes I made in first 14 days - hopefully might help someone else just about to start with BE...
I have played the trumpet for 3 years - loved it- not missed a day - but in my heart of hearts I have asked myself "Do i have what it takes to ever be a trumpet player?" In the last two weeks I have stopped asking that question. I know there will be obstacles ahead but now I know I have the tools to get thru them.

Mistake 1 I did not balance RO / RI.
Somehow I assumed that RO for me more important/helpful than roll in. What supported this wrong conclusion was simply cos it was easier for me to do from the get go..(also I had seen a you tube video where some guy had the same RO preference and, for no good reason.. I went with his reasoning!)
In last 3 days I have focused more on RI. (What helped was an old post I think Bert in 2004 whose point was that these exercises are very exaggerated - in real life a very small change in role in set up might equate to 2 octaves.. ie my actual end embouchure may feel less RI than in the exercises...(but who knows.. lets see where BE takes my mouth!)

Mistake 2 I didn't smell the paraffin
Assumed my sound match versus CD was good enough.
Lots of historic posts about need to listen carefully to the CD. On the RO I was to easily pleased with my pedal tone growl but I hadn't quite matched that brackish lawnmower sound. For me what helped was drop the upper lip a touch (KO's advice on my one zoom lesson) Made a difference - now I felt air was going more directly right INTO the horn than ever before!

Mistake 3 I rushed thru the exercises.
Advanced lip slurs 3 was tricky.. but ALS 9 I could do. So I skipped 3. Jees! Jeff raised the red flag, Ko gave me good advice on how to do the faster lip slurs. Now I am happy to stay with ALS 3 as long as it takes.

Hope this post helps someone!

cheers, stay safe Steve in Helsinki

Last edited by steve0930 on Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
LFRoberts5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts on practicing BE

These exercises are to be done very exaggerated

RO with TOL and get the "brackish lawnmower sound" The more the better

RI with TOL

TOL with TOL

ALS with snaps all the time...The snaps show me I'm doing it correctly. I sometimes use TOL on ALS just to get the lips in the right position
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Players come to BE with all sorts of preconceived ideas which can lead them off track. In my experience, players rarely follow the actual instructions in the book.

To his credit, Steve scheduled a zoom session with Ko, and has also emailed me for advice. He is now following instructions.

Jeff
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LFRoberts5 wrote:
My thoughts on practicing BE

These exercises are to be done very exaggerated

RO with TOL and get the "brackish lawnmower sound" The more the better

RI with TOL

TOL with TOL

ALS with snaps all the time...The snaps show me I'm doing it correctly. I sometimes use TOL on ALS just to get the lips in the right position

Thanks Lloyd. Yep, TOL is super important, as are the snaps.

Jeff
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Roll Out from the BE archives.. Reply with quote

Hi All..
I have just done my best ever (after 3 weeks!)roll out 4 's into the staff. What helped was something I read from Jeff in June 2004 on this forum...I focused on more of an exaggerated pout forward to get more of the inner bottom lip involved..

Jeff:[/img]
Quote:
the soft inner part of the bottom lips vibrates against the inner part of the top lip. The more you pucker the more soft tissue can vibrate

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20906&view=previous

good start to the day and its not yet 8 in the morning!

steve in Helsinki
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: