• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Intro to the Pivot System

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:32 pm    Post subject: Intro to the Pivot System Reply with quote

The Online Trombone Journal (http://www.trombone.org) has just published an article I wrote, "An Introduction to Donald S. Reinhardt's Pivot System." For those of you who have little or no background in the Pivot System you will hopefully find the information in this article useful in understanding the discussions in this particular forum and brass playing in general. You will find descriptions of Reinhardt's embouchure types (with photos), tonguing types, the sensation theory, definition of the pivot, and some basic suggestions to help get you started if you don't have access to a pivot system teacher.

Point your browser to the following URL to go directly to the article:

http://www.trombone.org/articles/library/viewarticles.asp?ArtID=240

Enjoy.

Dave W.
BobList
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic article......fantastic.... :^)
bgibson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave;
Excelent job!
I might have my memory failing me but I thought I remember Doc saying Wynton was a IVA.
Is this correct?????????
Dave S, RW, Chris, Any of you know about this??????
WEG
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think from these photos? His horn angle looks high enough to be a Type IV easily. A Type IVA should have a more receded horn angle.

bgibson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First photo, yes.
second photo, not sure.
WEG
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought Wynton was a strait type IV.

Not only because he looks like a IV, but because he has to use HUGE equipment and a VERY HEAVY Monette trumpet to take the edge off his sound and give him the darkness he likes.

Only a strait type IV would have that much brillance.

Chris
bgibson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I heard Doc say IVA in a lesson but I could be wrong.
Does Dave S. know?????????????
Are there any examples of a IV or IVA with a type 1 pivot???????
WEG
DSR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Dave, the brass community was in need of an article like this!

-Brendan
FlugelFlyer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent article and very informative! I definately liked the pictures of each embouchure in a clear mouthpiece. After reading one of the links in there, and seeing that it's common for a IIIA to lift the horn angle while inhailing and noticing that I do that and have a naturally low embouchure placement and ever so slight downward horn angle, and the fact that I noticed in a mirror that I naturally want to pull the embouchure slightly up while ascending in pitch and relaxing down while descending, and the fact that my Bach 3C that I used before my equipment/embouchure safari, I finally figured out that I'm a natural IIIA. I also noticed that my lips can swell somewhat while playing in this setting, which always seemed natural before. Anyway, now that I'm trying to use a more IIIA type setting, my playing has never felt more natural ever since that dreadful day my junior year of high school when a college professor told me that he doesn't let students play Bach 3C's in his jazz ensemble because of how prone it is to cause players' lips to swell (?).

Long story short, switched back to friendly Bach 3C, took a IIIA approach to playing, and now playing trumpet has never felt this natural since my pre-safari days. I'm thankfull for this article and for Reinhardt's studies (okay, I'll shut up now ).
airdyn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi..Bill,as to the Wynton photo (lower one) he is "ducking his head" here. He is, no doubt whatsoever, a IV and not a IVA.

Mike, you say you have a "low placement" and are a IIIA...a IIIA is a high placement and the horn angle is horizontal or past horizontal, not at a downward angle. There are few exceptions, however, as to the angle, for a IIIA, and the placement leads me to believe you are a IVA with a #1 Pivot, rare, but we are all different. Have someone check you through a clear mouthpiece for which lip predominates in the cup. As to your pivot (push up to ascend, pull down to descend), if it is working, then it is your correct pivot. Contact me personally if you wish and I will give you some characteristics of the IIIA vs. the IVa so you can judge for yourself.

Dave W. Highly commendable for such a formidable task! I am sending out the latest PivoTalk Newsletter and will let all Reinhardt Foundation members know of your tremendous contribution. Dave S.

[ This Message was edited by: airdyn on 2003-10-31 09:00 ]
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on a very informative and well-written article!

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
bgibson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so my memory is fading.
Wynton is a IV.
Dave S.
Mike could be the opposite of me (IIIB with a high placement).
He should have one of us watch him in person with a clear mpc.
DE quote:
"It looks like a IIIA, but it isn't."
WEG
bgibson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave W.,
BTW, all of my college students are required to have a copy of your article in their brass notebook.
WEG
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone, for your kind words about my article! I'm happy that you're finding it useful.

I hope that having this available will help TH Forum members to join us in our disucssions here by allowing them to have a grasp on the terms we use and some visuals to go with the descriptions.

Quote:
Long story short, switched back to friendly Bach 3C, took a IIIA approach to playing, and now playing trumpet has never felt this natural since my pre-safari days.

Mike, are you saying that you moved your mouthpiece placement higher on your lips and things work better? You mentioned that you have a "naturally low placement." Do you mean that the mouthpiece is placed on the lips lower or that your lips are placed in the low side of the mouthpiece? Here, we use low placement to mean that the mouthpiece is placed with more lower lip inside the mouthpiece, which tends to mean an upstream type IV or IVA.

Quote:
Are there any examples of a IV or IVA with a type 1 pivot???????

I have never seen any, but here is what the "Encyclopedia..." says:

Quote:
Type IV in almost all cases utilized PIVOT CLASSIFICATION TWO (pull down to ascend and push up to descend); however, the PIVOT TEST should be adequate to determine this.

page 210

Quote:
Type IVA must observe all rules presented in PIVOT CLASSIFICATION TWO... Because of a few deviations in this type, the PIVOT TEST is advised

pages 21-211

Quote:
I am sending out the latest PivoTalk Newsletter and will let all Reinhardt Foundation members know of your tremendous contribution.

Thanks for pushing back the date to send this out to include this article, Dave.

Thanks again, everyone, for your compliments. I consider it my duty to give back to the brass playing community what the Pivot System has given to me, but it's nice to be recognized for the effort.

Dave W.
FlugelFlyer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me clarify, back in the good ol' days I played with my lips low in the mouthpiece, or I guess a high mouthpiece placement. I hope that clears up confusion instead of adding more .
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just bringing this topic back up to the top; somebody in the Fundamentals Forum just asked about his apparent upstream embouchure.

I've referred a bunch of people to this article you wrote, Dave! You da man!

Rich
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bringing this article back up to the top. Hmm, now I'm wondering if I can make this a "sticky" so it stays up at the top.
iambrassman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That article is exceptional! I put a post in the high range forum regarding what 'natural players do naturally', and have been trying to get a grip on it myself (being semi-naturally endowed). I wasn't familiar with this level of detail and was struggling with how to capture it -- you did an excellent job!
trptdoc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been following this site for some time and have really enjoyed warmup #57. Based on the above article I believe I am a type IIIB: mostly upper lip and use a downward(type 2) pivot. I have orderd all the books from Dr. Sheetz site and look forward to more study. I have been playing 50 plus years, studied with many great teachers and have been teaching brass for 25 years and am always wanting to know more. Unfortunately prior to this forum the "Pivot System" was grossly misrepresented to me. Any advice for IIIB players--especially in the altissiomo above G above hi C?
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trptdoc wrote:
I have been following this site for some time and have really enjoyed warmup #57. Based on the above article I believe I am a type IIIB: mostly upper lip and use a downward(type 2) pivot. I have orderd all the books from Dr. Sheetz site and look forward to more study. I have been playing 50 plus years, studied with many great teachers and have been teaching brass for 25 years and am always wanting to know more. Unfortunately prior to this forum the "Pivot System" was grossly misrepresented to me. Any advice for IIIB players--especially in the altissiomo above G above hi C?

The best advice you'll ever get as a type IIIB is to NEVER FALL IN LOVE WITH YOUR SOUND in the middle and low registers.

In other words.......don't play the middle and lower registers overly loud and big, save it for the "top" (upper register).

This does not mean you have to play small and pinched, just that as a IIIB you have the ability to produce a tremendous volume and breath of sound down there. If you "exploit" that your high register will suffer.

Think of your range as a big "V". The higher you go, the bigger the sound gets.

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: