• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

suggestions for practical use of Caruso?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesMGregg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: suggestions for practical use of Caruso? Reply with quote

I'm trying to get my chops back in serious lead playing shape, while also balancing a day job and a family. My current plan is to use my lunch hour to blow exercises in my car with my Silent Brass mute on, then practice the actual charts at full volume when I get home and have an hour or so before the fam hits.

The pedal tones and loud/soft exercises in the Caruso "Musical Calisthenics" book seem to be the best for giving me a workout, but they're not laid out in a really user-friendly way, at least in terms of using them for a methodical, daily "strength training" series of exercises.
I was really drawn to the Charles Peters "Total Range" when I was in college because it was so structured, and the critical path and total time was laid out and known ahead of time.

Suggestions welcome!
Marcinkiewicz E10.3 Bobby Shew 1.25
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Caruso sub-forum here you should post in. Lots of excellent guidance there...
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James,

Are you new to the Caruso studies or have you worked through the exercises as suggested in the sticky notes on this forum?

I'd suggest getting your chops back in serious lead shape is getting your chops back in serious shape. This takes coordination and timing not strength. Caruso is a great way to accomplish this but I recommend following the structure of the book or from Charly Raymond's sticky notes. Cherry picking exercises without foundation can cause problems.

Best wishes,
Alan
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the getting started threads.

Practicing Caruso in a mute is not recommended unless you want to develop your ability to play muted passages. Practice open to play open.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interesting that you say that James. The main things that kept me practicing Caruso Studies all these years was the compact, condensed and methodical strength training exercises. I am basically a lazy practicer and want to get to it within an hour. I am referring to the 6 notes, harmonics and interval studies.

Good luck with your trumpet endeavors.

Gordon Stump
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gstump wrote:
It is interesting that you say that James. The main things that kept me practicing Caruso Studies all these years was the compact, condensed and methodical strength training exercises. I am basically a lazy practicer and want to get to it within an hour. I am referring to the 6 notes, harmonics and interval studies.

Good luck with your trumpet endeavors.

Gordon Stump

I studied on and off for 4-5 years with a former student of Carmines and spent a year or so with Carmine as well.
Carmine's student over the years developed his own version of routines based on Caruso's principles. The last time I worked with him he had a condensed version that took no more than an hour and it really gave me a good workout. This was 35 years ago and I don't really play too much at this point in time and sadly I can't recall most of the routine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: