• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

1968 CSO Photo KhachaturianSym.No 3! (with all the tpts)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexwill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: 1968 CSO Photo KhachaturianSym.No 3! (with all the tpts) Reply with quote

Please name any people who you recognize and say where they are in the picture. I think there are three women in the back row.

Unfortunately the photo is taken from the side, but you can still make out some of the women and men in the trumpet section.

http://csosoundsandstories.org/125-moments-036-leopold-stokowski/
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great photo. Thanks for posting Delmar!

From what I can see there are the 3 trumpets in the orchestra section (Herseth, Cichowicz, and Scarlett) and the 15 in the trumpet choir in the foreground, none of whom I can identify.

That recording is certainly one of the trumpet classics!

JU
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i shot this link to my trumpet teacher, Tim Stewart (Associate Principal, NC Symphony) because I had a hunch he might have been there, and here was his reply:

Quote:
Thanks a million for that! I’m 5th from the right in the back row of standing trumpets. 18 years old at the time. Big thrill!

Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am aware of 5 of the extra trumpets.
Bette Eilers (A friend. She is on a few other CSO recordings, the last being the Boulez Firebird.), Phyllis Blech, who was acting 4th in the section in 63-64, Luther Didrickson, Charles Stine, (My college teacher. He had a gorgeous sound and was a great teacher), and John Cvejanovich, also a friend and mentor who spent considerable time in the section on tour, as an extra, as a fill in, and for recordings.
I heard a story about Bud Herseth really letting go and playing over all of them, but my details are sketchy and all I can really remember is he had a big smile on his face afterwards.
R. Tomasek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: