• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Strad Bells

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which bell do you use?
47%
 47%  [ 33 ]
23%
 23%  [ 16 ]
15%
 15%  [ 11 ]
Other
13%
 13%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 69

JohnBandMan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:30 am    Post subject: Strad Bells Reply with quote

Hey fellow Strad users. I'm curious about what bell you use, and why you like it. (you can see my favorite in my signature )

Conn 8B Lightweight Artist
Bach Stradivarius 72
justrfb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our son Willie just bought himself a 1994 Bach Strad 72. Not the "star" version... He loves it!

Sincerely,
Rich
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first love was a LR72 which I adored for its full bodied sound. When it got stolen I tried for 2 years to find another 72 I liked as much but failed. I eventually ended up at a NAMM show trying horns blind and tripped on a 43 that just played so well I couldn't say no, though I really still do favor the sound of a good 72 for many playing situations.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently bought a new "Anniversary Edition" Bach 37 in lacquer. It is constructed like an early Elkhart with nickel ballisters , the older Besson style S braces and side seam bell. I had no intention of buying an instrument but when I tried this particular horn I had to have it.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my Bb Strads, I've been using the L bore 25 bell for many years. Maximum projection! I also recently lucked into a FREE '70s ML 37, which is just a gas to play. So I have 2!

The 25 bell doesn't get a lot of love on this forum, but it's a fun horn. Dave Douglas certainly sounds great on his! And the thing just plain opens up in the high register while maintaining great focus. I've recently switched back to using this horn for my high-volume rock band gigs because the thing just plain cuts through a loud band. Great stuff.
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LT1901B for me. More responsive, more versatile, and easier to color/manipulate the sound. My 2nd favorite Bach bell is 43* followed by 43. I have an '66 ML 37 as a backup.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
danny45635
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use both a 37 and 72*. I don't have any preference (depending on the style). 37 for classical, 72* for jazz/commercial. I like both a lot.
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have representative examples of all the bells in my collection. The one I play as my regular instrument is a 1950's ML 37. It's got a ring to it that I like.
Hugh Anderson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my 43 for 51 years, play it most days. I've never spent much time with anything else, so this isn't a scientific opinion.
C.E.Divine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get a horn with a good 37 bell, it can't be beat. But I consistently have liked every 43 belled strad I have played, while I have hated many with the 37 bell as well. The 72 is nice also, but I haven't played many of them, so I am voting at this time with what I know is consistently good.

My favorite horn is also my LR19043B. Ive played other 43s that are the same except with brass bells, and none can hold a candle to mine.

Bach LR19043B B-flat
Blackburn converted Bach C
Kanstul CC920 Piccolo
Blessing XL Flugelhorn
J.W. York and Sons Perfec-Tone B-flat/A Cornet
rebus9

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C.E.Divine wrote:
When you get a horn with a good 37 bell, it can't be beat. But I consistently have liked every 43 belled strad I have played, while I have hated many with the 37 bell as well.

Long time lurker, first time poster. (hello, all)

Ending up with a 43 was pure dumb luck. In high school everyone played a Strad. I was a newbie with maybe 8 months behind the mouthpiece, and I just "had to have" a Strad like everyone else. I had no idea there were models in the Strad line. I was just a dumb teenager who thought a Strad was a Strad.

Over summer break I visited the local music shop which supplied the school band, told the guy I wanted a Strad in silver, and he returned from the back room with a sealed box. Cut it open, out came a case, and inside was a factory wrapped Strad 43. They were going for $800 at the time, but (again, dumb luck) the shop was running a summertime sale at $565 factory-new. I still have the receipt. Armed with some cash from an after-school job and a small loan from my dad, I went home a proud new owner.

Summer band rehearsals started the next week, and several guys said I was lucky to have a 43, because theirs were only 37's. I had no clue what that meant, and neither did they, other than to say "it's better".

Fast forward nearly 34 years. That same horn and case are sitting next to my desk as I type this, used in church and community bands several times a week. I love the horn.

I've played several 37's of friends, and never liked any of them. Every 37 I've played seemed to not slot as well, not focus as well, and I guess my ears prefer a slightly brighter sound. Of all the brands and models of horns I've played in the past 35 years, none have made me happier than my 43.

Until a friend got a Xeno 8335RGS last year. (he got a killer price on a close-out of the previous generation). I played it and fell in love. Over the next few weeks, he wasn't using it and loaned it to me for rehearsals and performances. Every time I played it, I liked it more. Some issues I've been fighting for 30 years, which I blamed on my lack of skill... just... didn't exist on the Xeno. The horn practically played itself, slotting and intonation were superb, and I had the best 2 weeks on trumpet I ever had. It renewed my love affair with the instrument.

I had to have one.

The only previous gen 8335RGS units I could find were refurbs, so I took a chance on a model I've never played and ordered a new Xeno II 8335RS last week. Matt @ Quinn the Eskimo made me an offer I couldn't refuse. FedEx tracking shows delivery this Friday.

This has been the world's longest week waiting for it to arrive.

And so goes my first post here. Apologies for the long winding road.
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played a 6, 7, 25, 31 (go figure), 37, 37*, 43, 43G, 43*, 72 and a 72*. I didn't like the 43* or the 43G quite as much as the others. They're all different but they each had plusses.

But I agree that a really good 37 is really good. There's something about the way it rings when played "correctly" (whatever that means).
robas92

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Bach Strads Reply with quote

Hello,

Okay, I'll bite. I have owned a few 37's, including a Mt Vernon that will never leave my side. I have owned several 43's including a 43H, 43GH and a 1972 43*/43 which is the best lead horn ever. I have owned a 72*/43 which I have regretted selling. All of these horns were rather stellar. With the exception of the Mt Vernon 37, the Bach Artisan Bb in lacquer kinda leaves them all in the dust. The ease with which this horn plays is amazing. The Mt. Vernon is the perfect solo/combo horn. Nothing touches the intimacy that this horn displays. My Artisan can do just about everything else. With the exception of the extreme high register (above high G), this is the horn for me for all around playing. I have no clue what the bell is (maybe someone could pm me, NO? well it was worth a try!!), but it just works. Everyone who has played has put it through the paces has said the same thing, "Wow, great horn!!". I have owned a Schilke B5, B6, Kanstul 1500, 1537, 1504, Benge 3X, French Besson Classic, Burbank 3, Selmer 24B K-Modified, Holton Revelation, and a few Olds. I have tried the new Bach Commercial Large Bore and the Mariachi horn. Bach has really stepped up their game these last five years. Both were way too bright for me.
I tried out the Artisan on 4 different occasions before I bought one. For me it works, I have done the horn safari. I am glad that I have a patient wife who loves me. It has been a fun trip. I am back home with Bach. My two cents...

Cordially,
Kanstul 920 Piccolo
Blessing 154 RT Flugelhorn

Robert A. Smith

--More horns than I can count!!
----------------------
Do, or do not, there is no try!!--Yoda
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently own:
New York LB with a 5 bell
Mt Vernon LB with a 25 bell
Elkhart ML with a 72 reg. wt. bell

Have owned, but no longer have:
Mt. Vernon CML 239
Elkhart ML 37 lt. wt.
Elkhart ML 43 lt. wt.
Elkhart ML 72 lt. wt.
Elkhart MLV with 65 gold brass bell
New York LB with 7-10 bell
and several Mt Vernon ML's with no bell markings (presumably 37's).
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Mine Strad has a 37 bell.

When looking for a used Bach Strad, I visited Leigh at Eclipse who had quite a few which he had taken in for trade.

It was years ago, but I vaguely remember trying a vindabona (MLV) with a 72 bell, which I didn't particularly like, a 37* (the bell was lightweight, I can't remember about the rest of the specifications), which was pretty wild and I didn't like at all, a standard weight 43 and my standard weight 37.

I liked the 43 as well, but there was just something about my 37. I particularly liked how it slotted above the stave. It as if the notes sit on a ledge, I can't describe it any other way. I'm guessing that it is owing to slotting (although my trumpet isn't particularly slotty overall) rather than resistance, as mistakenly replacing the worn felts with too thick replacements (I've recently found out after having a valve alignment done, that my Strad requires some of the thinnest valve felts that Will Spencer has ever used on a Bach), lost this feature, until the valves were aligned properly again.

Anyway, I just liked this trumpet. Was it the 37 bell I liked, the fact that this is an older-style Bach with the square bell bow, which has been re-introduced, is this just a good example, or a good match for me and my mouthpiece, maybe this trumpet just gave a more optimal gap for me with my mouthpiece.

I just don't know. The only other 37 I've tried was a later one with the rounder bell bow, and it played more open, and I didn't like it as much as mine.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: